Author Topic: Eyelash problem  (Read 34599 times)

mandy721

Eyelash problem
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:04:16 pm »
Does anyone have any tips about how to deal with eyelashes which don't point tbe right direction?

Background is,,,
I Glad-wrap my right eye every night to try to keep it moist.   Helps, but the side-effect is...my eyelashes have been "trained" to grow down, into my eye, occasionally poking me.  I've tried to use an eyelash curler, but when I get it close enough to my eye to be effective, I jab my eye.  Just wondering if any of you have this problem (wacky eyelashes)?  How do you deal with them?  What if an eye curler isn't an option?
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Re: Eyelash problem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:29:35 pm »
Sorry I don't have any good suggestions but also interested in what others have to say since the curler doesn't work for me, either..
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:01:39 pm »
Hi Mandy

My eyelashes poke me because they are so long and the weight of the eye ointment doesn't allow them to curl up like they use to.  I too use an eyelash curler, every morning before I put the ointment back in after my shower.  I don't know if it helps but I do it anyway.  I do trim my eye lashes when they poke my eye, they grow back slowly so I have to do it every now and then.  I don't know if this will help with your issue or not but figured it was worth mentioning.  Goodluck, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:27:39 pm »
I have the same problem because I tape my eye ever night. I take my time and use the eyelash curler in the morning before i appy my make up. I hold it a little longer than usual and squeeze tight. It is not like the other eyelash but certainly much better and it doesn't bother my eye ball now.
Michelle  ::)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:45:24 pm »
Ken is so afraid of getting anything close to his eye that he uses his fingers to guide the lashes.  He says it helps.  After reading Jill Marie's post, he is thinking of trying to trim the lashes.  I think the eyelash curler would be the best bet, even the opthamologist suggested using one.
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 11:19:26 pm »
I have had a bit more luck with the curler when my lashes are et but not greasy (post-shower).  I am looking for some clear mascara to see if it might help since any color would just draw more attention.     ;)  Thanks for the post.  Nice to know I'm not the only one ....  Karen
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

janitorx

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:32:31 am »
Hey there!  I have a gold weight and it did affect not only the direction of my lash growth, but also the quanitity of lashes.  I recently tackled this problem.  There are several things you can do.  First, go to Wal Mart (or any drugstore) and get the Revlon Eyelash Curler that has red, rounded edges.  This curler is more effective with eye gel and doesn't create that harsh 90 degree angle bend.  When you use this curler, curl at the base of your lashes and then again at the middle of your lashes for a longer-lasting curl.  Second, either get a prescription for Latisse to lengthen your lashes or get a generic (Careprost) from All Day Chemist (online--great customer service!) without a prescription.  Careprost is much cheaper than Latisse, btw ($10 vs. $120).  I've been using Latisse for 3 months and very few of my eyelashes point downward now.  I still have to curl them, but I can live with that.  Now that I know Latisse works, I am in the process of switching to Careprost.  Lumigan is another generic that works well, too.

The result is my eyelashes look more symmetrical and I feel much better :)

I hope this helps!
AN 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm x 2.0 cm. 
Translab 5/21/07

Jill Marie

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:36:50 pm »
Hi Janitorx,  I will definitely try the new eyelash curler, mine is old and falling apart anyway so it would be nice to get a new one.  Never thought about curling the lashes in the middle, good idea.  Won't try the eye lash lengthening as my lashes are already pretty long.   Thanks a lot, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

moe

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 09:53:54 am »
I too suffer from the eye lashes pointing down, and they are not that long, so the curler doesn't help. The past few days my eyes have been really bothering me, more so than usual. It is a daily nuisance.
I had my eye half stitched shut for about 4 months, so the lashes still want to point downwards.
I'm going to get my outer eye stitched a little to help with eye function, because of the droopiness of the outer "canthus" -gonna call my eye doc to see if we can get it done sooner than later, because that will help with this feeling of "WHAT is in my eye all the time?"
Maybe an ingrown eyelash.
So annoying.
Anyway,
I'll try those tips, Janiforx. THANKS~ :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

janitorx

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:17:08 am »
Oh, I forgot to mention the old hairdryer trick which involves heating your eyelash curler.  I don't have to do this step, but it does work really well.  What I like about Latisse/Careprost is that my lashes grow long enough to point slightly upward.  I still have few errant eyelashes, though.  I wear mascara and I can usually manipulate them more with product. 

AN 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm x 2.0 cm. 
Translab 5/21/07

lori67

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 12:10:40 pm »
I have the eyelash problem too.  I use the eyelash curler and then mascara, which seems to help hold them up where they're supposed to be.  If I don't use the mascara, when I put my sunglasses on, my lashes hit the lens and that makes me crazy!   >:(

I think it's due to a lack of muscle tone.  The hairs are held in place by muscles and if those muscles aren't working properly, the lashes tend to droop.  I know mine aren't quite as droopy as they were before my 7/12.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 04:22:56 pm »
I have the MOST trouble with the BOTTOM lashes growing straight into my eye!!  Any solutions for that...I ususally just use tweezers but that is not always "preventive" enough...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 05:02:38 am »
Great subject:  I always have problems with eyelashes...  Like Kay, I tweeze them too, only it's the ones growing down into my eye.  I didn't have much luck with the eyelash curler either - when I'd get to the base of the lash to tighten it,  I felt like I was poking my eye. 
My eyelashes go every which way.  & I have the same problem with eyelashes hitting my glasses !
I'm also going to check & see if Target has the red Revlon curler.  Also,  I never thought about heating the curler !  great advice.
Even though I use eye makeup remover to help remove the lubricant from my lashes,  they always seem to have a film on them,  maybe it's b/c I have to use it so often...
Thanks everyone for your responses....  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 11:03:40 am »
Okay ladies:  I bought the Revlon 'red' eyelash curler - Thanks janitorx,  it doesn't hurt at all to curl my lashes ! !  I was trying to use my Shisedo brand.  This Revlon one is great ! !   My eyelashes did curl, not as well as the non AN side but they curled just the same.  I think with continued use it will get better.

Now,  if anyone knows how to keep powdered eyelid coloring &/or eyeliner on that eye - seems the lubricant just wipes it away & I end up looking like I have the color on 1 eye & not the other ! !  Any ideas ? !!
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 12:30:19 pm »
I use a Clinic product on my eyelids before I apply powder base eyeshadow and I also use a gel eyeliner.  I do not line the entire top eyelid anymore because it draws attention to my bulging left eye.  Vanity insanity I guess.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games