Author Topic: Yet another new one  (Read 15412 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Yet another new one
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »
Hey Kathy! I am sorry you had to find this wonderful place, but you couldn't have found any place better! :) I am also a newbie and will be going under the knife here in under a month!  Good luck on yours and let us all know how it goes!
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 07:02:46 pm »
Hi Kathy and welcome,

Sorry you have an AN, but sinice you do, this is the place to be.  I congratulate you on already deciding on treatment, the hardest part of the journey in my opinion.  We are here to support you in any way we can -- just let  us know how we can help.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

moe

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 09:49:46 pm »
Hi Kathy,
Welcome from another nurse.
There is another nurse who just had surgery, and is looking at going back to work nights, so you should have some good support there when all is said and done.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11029.msg127691#msg127691

Good luck with surgery. All the newbies having surgery are in my prayers all the time.
 I too ignored my symptoms for I'd say 10-15 years, because they were so slow and insidious. And nurses are too busy taking care of their family and their patients!

Anyway, all will be good, remember that. Just a little (or medium sized) speed bump in the road of life.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 07:57:49 am »
My prayers will be with you on your upcoming surgery, my AN was the same size and my hearing tests prior to surgery was normal but from what I hear is that the better your hearing is prior to surgery you can expect maybe a 30% chance of loss after surgery but everyone is different.
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

tenai98

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 08:35:52 am »
hi and welcome to our unique little club
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

ghenier27

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 07:54:59 am »
Welcome from a 4 week Postie , meaning my surgery was just 4 weeks ago. I think we all can relate to having been told this. I will be praying for on you and I know you will do just fine. I can remember before my surgery that wondering how I was going to be afterwards. But if you can see me now! I never dreamed I would be doing this good in 4 weeks. I pretty much have my old life back and feeling blessed everyday for it. I went to Shands Teaching Hosptial in Gainesville,Florida for my surgery just because I live in town. And after meeting with Dr. Lewis, I knew he was the one for me!

So good luck on 23th. And just remember, when you wake up from surgery that is the begining of your recovery - the hardest part is over with. Debi

volleymom

• had pressure on my Pons
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 12:47:59 pm »
I'm all done with working now and doing the last errands to prepare to go.  The kids, husband and dog are all arranged for, I think.  Now to finalize the packing...
We'll have a 3 hour drive over the mountains to Portland, so hopefully not too much snow this weekend.  I don't have to check in at the hospital until 11:00 on Monday, so it could be a very late ending time for surgery.
We are so lucky to have been given the use of a very nice house to stay at in Portland.  After discharge, I may just stay around there to rest for a day or 2 before traveling.
I have had increased ear pressure symptoms for the past 3 weeks.  Part of the time it even hurts, which is new.  The timing is right to get the surgery over with.  Last weekend my younger daughter's team won their 4th consecutive state volleyball championship, which I would not have missed seeing for anything.  I will be well into the recovery phase when her club season starts competing in January.
Right now, I am not worried about the surgery as much as the recovery time and how I will be when I return to work.

Thank you all so much for welcoming me to this group!

Kathy
9mm X 16mm diagonsed in August 2009.  Retrosigmoid Nov, 2009 at OHSU in Portland, OR.
post-op had some facial nerve weakness, nearly resolved. Mild tinnitus. Left sided deafness.

Sobes

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 12:52:22 pm »
Hi Kathy,

Just read your post and wanted to say good luck with surgery and you will be in my prayers for all to go well and for a speedy, uneventful recovery!!!! Will be thinking of you :)

Bren~
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

epc1970

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 02:08:45 pm »
Hi Kathy
Good to hear you have a place to stay in Portland before you drive home to Bend. I have made that drive before and I know it is a long one! I was wondering if you were going to tackle that drive right after being released or not. I KNOW you are in great hands Kathy-I am  proof of that! Take care and good luck. Plaese let us know how you are doing when you are officially a postie!
Erin

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 07:43:51 pm »
Hi Kathy .....

Sounds like you are all set and ready to soon be a post-surgical, post-AN person!

Is there anyone who can post for you to let us know how you are doing in recovery?  We have several "Mother Hens" on this Forum (hand raised  :-[).

Thoughts and prayers for good weather this week-end and uneventful surgery and recovery.  (Remember the first three days - F3D -  do not count, they will not be fun ..... but after that it is usually a period of quickly feeling better.)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

volleymom

• had pressure on my Pons
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 10:12:46 pm »
My husband Greg can put out some updates if/when he finds internet access there.  He was planning on bringing a laptop anyway.
It's nice to read about all of your success stories and to hear the wishes for good luck

Kathy
9mm X 16mm diagonsed in August 2009.  Retrosigmoid Nov, 2009 at OHSU in Portland, OR.
post-op had some facial nerve weakness, nearly resolved. Mild tinnitus. Left sided deafness.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 06:44:22 am »
Kathy - best of luck with your surgery this week!  By this time next week you will be an official member of the "Postie" club.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 05:14:35 am »
Kathy I hope all went well with your surgery yesterday.  This forum has been a great help, so hopefully you will be back up on it soon.

I'm just 2 weeks post op Middle Fossa.

Take care,
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

moe

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 09:56:00 am »
Healing thoughts going your way, Kathy.
Hope to hear some good news soon :) :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sgerrard

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 08:42:33 pm »
Mini update:

I got an email earlier today from Greg, saying "Kathy is finished and doing well.  Still in ICU and feeling groggy.  Appears they got all the tumor."  That was all he knew at the time, but it sounds like she is on her way to recovery.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.