Author Topic: Uh duh--how do i tell everyone thanks?  (Read 3943 times)

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
Uh duh--how do i tell everyone thanks?
« on: November 07, 2009, 01:28:36 am »
I've received so many great responses to my first post, and i've got to admit something:  i dont know how to respond ....do i start a new topic, like i just did here ?  or do i choose one person who replied, and "reply" to them, so that everyone can see what i'm writing.  or do i send private messages if i want to respond to one particular person? 

i've tried looking for netiquette on this, but i also have to finally admit that my dizziness and unsteadiness has increased a bunch this week and i can just barely type/read the screens--i just cant concentrate long enough to find what i need to know...too dizzy

.  if someone could just tell me how to properly reply to all the great remarks i've received that would be great.  this thing is suddenly affecting my ability to concentrate and type (when i'm tired now, everything just seems to turn to molasses in terms of steadiness, balance, dizziness, coordination)

i just admitted to my family that the dizziness has gotten worse..i didnt think it would, i thought these things grew slow, ...i've finally had to miss work because of the dizziness and inability to drive this week and it is scaring me.  i dont think i could even get on one of my horses right now and that is even more  frightening...

so, back to local doctor to see why this is getting worse suddenly, then hopefully shands hospital in florida will get in touch with me for initial consult, etc. and i can get surgery settled.   i have decided on surgery vs gk, just need to get paperwork in order, etc.

i also have insurance question (posted elsewhere in insurance area)...didnt realize how little doctor offices can/will tell you about money matters...and someone needs to run politeness classes for doctor's office staff personnel....but that's for another post

thanks to all for support and responses

Tricia
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington

sgerrard

Re: Uh duh--how do i tell everyone thanks?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 01:48:34 am »
Hi Tricia,

The usual method is just to reply, using the Reply button at the bottom of the page. That's what I'm doing, and is also what the people who replied to your other posts did.

The Personal Message button, under each person's screen name to the left of their post, is a way to send a message directly to that person. Many people here use those as well. I would encourage posting in the forum using the Reply button, so others can read your messages, except when you want to have a private exchange with someone.

It is not uncommon for symptoms to increase, especially if you are feeling some stress, and it does not mean the AN is necessarily growing. ANs are pesky that way.

I hope your appointments go well.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 11:17:33 am »
Thank you...so obvious now that i see the reply button. 

Just like a lot of things with this AN....i get stressed and then dont see the obvious.  Have already received some great info about my insurance post elsewhere (including one from you!)...it really pays to go ahead and ask questions here  VS  stressing and trying to figure it all out myself.  For an independent type my AN is certainly a "field leveller"..having to learn lots of patience with myself

again thanks...when do people get to request one of your cool hats?   anyone who can knit is a marvel to me..i can crochet, but knitting is a whole different thing..!!

tricia
1.5 cm right side AN

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 01:05:49 pm »
For an independent type my AN is certainly a "field leveler"..having to learn lots of patience with myself

I think many of us discover that when dealing with an AN, we suddenly have to stop being so independent, and start being patient, and even ask other people for help. It can be a new experience for some, but happily turns out to be a good one in that regard, since other people turn out to be quite willing to help.

I don't get crochet, so I will stick with knitting. The hat list is fairly long right now, but just mention it from time to time. Suggesting a favorite color seems to help. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 04:03:51 pm »
Hi, Tricia ~

Steve comprehensively answered your questions about responding to posts.  Generally, a public reply is sufficient but as he noted, the PM option is great if you would rather send a message to one person, specifically, which we sometimes prefer to do. 

Your occasional lack of focus and anxiety over the possibility of the tumor growing is quite reasonable and also quite common.  Remember that just about everyone reading and/or posting on these forums has or had an acoustic neuroma and understands your state of mind - and your concerns.  We've been there.  It wasn't much fun but at least we can give you some advice and the kind of knowledgeable support you need.  We're also glad to do whatever we can to help you through this experience. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 06:57:12 pm »
Another big thanks for all your great answers and comments to this post and the ones i've left in other areas as well... reading the comments gives me new perspective, ideas, direction. 

This forum is my lifeline right now.   What great folks with whom to be adrift  !! :D  (my first smiley face ever)!!!

Tricia
1.5 cm right side AN

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 03:54:50 pm »
Hi Tricia .....

Not sure I properly said my welcome to this forum ..... so welcome!  I noticed on another post that you had insurance questions.  I went to Dr. Fukushima at Duke in North Carolina and his assistant handled the entire insurance nightmare, reassuring me I had enough to think about and to let her handle it ..... and she did.  Hopefully you will have the same assistance wherever you go ..... and many places deal with this all of the time.

As many of us have stated, the important thing for you to consider when seeking treatment is to find the most experienced medical personnel you can find ..... specifically those individuals who have treated hundreds of ANs, not just a few during the course of their practice.

Best wishes as you walk this journey.  We are here for caring support!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lori67

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 07:55:41 pm »
Tricia,

Definitely don't stress - ask whatever questions you think of.  I'm pretty sure one of us around here has already asked or at least thought of asking the same questions.  Before too long you'll realize what you thought might be a silly question isn't silly at all.  And if it does actually turn out to be silly, you probably still won't be the only one to have asked!  Worst case, we'll come back at ya' with some good-natured teasing!  Laughter is the best medicine!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 10:00:41 pm »
Tricia -

my partner in crime, Lori, is right.  There is no such thing as a stupid question here on the Forum - and chances are we've all asked our share of "interesting" things  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways