Author Topic: BAHA Abutment  (Read 8307 times)

shashank

BAHA Abutment
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:41:35 am »
Hi All,

I'm going for BAHA abutment this coming Monday. Just getting tensed by all the reviews. Are there any specific things that i've to keep in mind pre/post surgery. Your inputs are always precious.

Thanks
Shashank

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA Abutment
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:45:35 am »
Shashank -

I'm not sure what reviews you are referring to, but there is no need to be stressed by BAHA implant surgery.  It's a very simple, short, outpatient surgery - nothing like surgery for an acoustic neuroma.  It's so simple that some choose local anesthesia rather than general (I was one).

Recovery is usually very straight-forward; generally minimal pain and the site heals fast.  Of course, as with everything in life, there are exceptions to the rule; but they are few and far between.

I would imagine that your doctor has performed many BAHA implants, so relax and put yourself in his/her very capable hands.  I am confident that things will go well and before you know it, you'll be wearing the BAHA device and hearing much better.

Good luck and please keep us updated,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 06:57:01 am »
its a piece of cake...soooo much better and easier then my first surgery....I had mine sept 22...and it healing nicely...I have a visiting home nurse that comes in twice a week to change the dressing...and to make sure it all looks fine...Hopefully the visit and dressing ends on Nov 18 my next ENT appt
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 09:28:24 am »
Shashank,

Will just add my voice to the others that the healing process following BAHA surgery is not a big deal. I had my abutment implanted at the same time as my translab surgery, so can't personally speak to the BAHA surgery as a separate procedure ... but I hope you've read enough posts on the forum by those who've had it done at some point after their AN surgery to become convinced that it really is not that bad.

I'll add that I believe Jo's (tenai98) experience, with the visiting home nurse coming to change the dressings, etc., etc., is not very typical. I think most of us have just healed on our own, with little if any medical intervention.

Don't be alarmed by the numbness you'll experience around the abutment area after the implant. I thought I would be living with the numbness forever, would always be hesitant about sleeping on that side of my head, and would be in a constant cringe everytime I went for a haircut/hair coloring procedure. I'm happy to report that the numbness went away gradually and completely (I'm almost two years post-surgery), and I can sleep on that side of my head and get my hair done without giving it a second thought!

Best wishes as you approach your implant date, and I hope you'll enjoy your BAHA!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 10:16:33 am »
and take note that the visiting home nurse is free, covered under health program...most times I just change the dressing myself. Because I live about 2 hours from the city hospital where my ENT is, this is why I have the home nurse...just to make sure all is well without having to run into the city if I THINK something isnt right...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 12:29:47 pm »
Shashank,

Congratulations on your upcoming BAHA surgery (I think this is what you mean).  As everyone before me has said, this is a pretty simple procedure, done under local or general anesthesia, depending on your surgeon's preference.  Like Jan, I had local anesthesia and found it not to be a big deal, although I did have mild sedation, I was awake for the procedure. I think you'll be thrilled with how much better you can hear  when you start using your processor (about three months from now) -- I know I am. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 01:44:21 pm »
do not worry about it I know easier said then done it really is not bad I had to get some scar tissue remove from the first surgery and it is not bad would do it again for the hearing benefits it gives you good luck. :)
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 03:16:50 pm »
I did have some trouble with mine healing, but it wasn't a big deal.  I have really sensitive skin and it wasn't liking having a piece of metal poking out through it.  I had some "proud flesh" that had to be burned off with silver nitrate (stung a little bit but not bad), and then 6 months after the surgery I finally went to an accupuncturist and he helped it calm down enough to finish healing.  I've been trying since May to get my processor and still don't have it, but that's a whole other story.  LOL

Vonda

shashank

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 06:22:30 am »
Folks,
I really appreciate the kind comments and suggestions that you guys are providing on this forum.
On Monday, i had my BAHA implant and it went well according to my Surgeon. Also, i had Mastroidectomy Tymponoplasty surgery done to my right ear and it also went well though the surgery got prolonged.
Only irritating is that i can't sleep leaning my head to either side. Have to sleep straight like as if i'm doing some YOGA or something  ;) Hope that will not be the case after a week or so.
Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks once again for all the courageous and kind words.

-Shashank

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 02:49:18 pm »
[Hi Shashank,

I'm glad to hear your BAHA surgery went well.  I hope you will be as thrilled as I was when you begin using your processor in three months.  I hope the time between now and then flies by for  you.  Please keep us posted.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lsterling

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 10:10:02 am »
Hello Everyone,
I am a newbie. I have not done much research, but does a BAHA help someone who has no hearing at all (in one ear) to regain some depth perception in sound? What about background noise? and What is a processor? Forgive my ignorance. (17 years post-op)

Lynn

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 11:04:51 am »
BAHA, TransEar and the new Oticon Ponto are all specificially designed for those of us who have no hearing at all in one ear and where convential (amplification) hearing aids will not work.  There have been reports of some users getting better at sound localization and depth perception with BAHA and TransEar.  The Ponto is so new that I haven't actually talked to anyone who has one.  Keep in mind that everyone's experience can be different, but most of the people who have BAHA are in love with it (Just ask Jan, she'll tell ya).

A processor is the device that "hears" the sound and "processes" it for the dead ear.  They all work off what's called bone conduction where the processor "hears" the sound on that side, converts it to mechanical energy and through the skull bone or jaw bone sends the "signal" over to your good ear.  You're brain is supposed to learn the difference between a sound that actually came from that side or through bone conduction from the other side.  That's how your localization and depth perception is improved; once your brain learns.

I'm still doing some research, but that's the gist of what I've learned.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 11:09:59 am »
Oh, and about background noise..  From what I've been told, these options are GREAT in noisy places but they're decent.  Part of the programming of the processor is that it comes with a background noise filter so that it tries to determine what is good noise (you want to you) and background noise (that you don't necessarily want to hear).  I've seen mixed reviews on it's effectiveness.

As someone once told me, if "normal" hearing out of both ears was a 10 and completely deaf is a 1, then the BAHA ranks about a 4..  Not GREAT, but certainly better than hearing nothing from that side.  Again, everyone's different.  I've also talked to lots that would rank it higher than a 4 (Hi Jan and Lori!).

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

shashank

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 08:32:17 am »
To Lynn,

As others said if your canal is down, then do go with the BAHA option. The principle behind BAHA is if you tap your head-top with one of your fingers and if you hear a THUD sound, then it's almost certain that you get your hearing back but upto what level, it's only the audiologist who can ascertain that.
Keep reading the suggestions and comments by others.

Shashank

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 09:05:26 am »
Hello Everyone,
I am a newbie. I have not done much research, but does a BAHA help someone who has no hearing at all (in one ear) to regain some depth perception in sound? What about background noise? and What is a processor? Forgive my ignorance. (17 years post-op)

Lynn

I suggest doing a google on BAHA hearing aid .... you will get a ton of stuff....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital