Author Topic: Finding the right surgeon for Baha implant  (Read 2359 times)

Eturnit

• The joy of the LORD is my strength!
Finding the right surgeon for Baha implant
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:10:13 am »
My craniotomy for A.N. was done at a hospital 7 hours from home.  Now I am looking to get a BAHA implant.  Does anyone have any input on whether of not it is imperative to have my Baha implant procedure done by the same surgeon's office?  Is it o.k. to go to a more local ENT for this?  I don't really want to be so far from my surgeon when it comes to dressing changes and getting the processor applied 3 months out.  Any input would be great!   ::)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:30:23 am by ppearl214 »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Finding the right surgeon for Baha implant
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:31:57 am »
Hi and welcome. Please accept apologies for changing your post color.... it makes it easier to read in black.. thanks for understanding :)

Many BAHA users on this site and I know many keep an eye on the "Hearing Issues" forum for these kinds of discussions.... so, I know many will be able to assist with your question.

Again, welcome.. and wellness wishes to you.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Finding the right surgeon for Baha implant
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:56:24 pm »
E -

I don't think many ENTs do BAHA implant surgeries - mine didn't even know what a BAHA was  :D  My BAHA was implanted by my neurotologist - who also did my AN surgery along with a neurosurgeon.

It is not imperative to have your BAHA surgery done by the same doc who did your AN surgery - but obviously, if you use a different doctor, make sure you tell him/her that you had AN surgery.  Sometimes the BAHA site "interferes" with the AN surgical site, so he/she will want to know what to expect.   It's not a serious problem or anything, but knowing what's inside your head will be helpful to the doc.

There is a list of doctors who do BAHA surgery on the Cochlear Americas website.  Go to www.cochlear.com  click on "North America & Canada" then "find a clinic".

Also, if you tell us where you live, someone who has a BAHA might be able to recommend their doctor to you.  I have an incredible doctor, but I live in Illinois and that might or might not be convenient for you.

As for dressing changes, there really are none.  My doc has you schedule an office visit about a week post op to have the bandage and cap removed; then the next appt. is 3 months later for the processor (assuming your site has healed okay - which is generally the case).

If you have any more questions about the BAHA, don't hesitate to ask.  I've loved mine since the first day I was able to wear my Divino  ;D

Best,

Jan
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:59:11 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways