Author Topic: Insurance coverage for BAHA BP100  (Read 2123 times)

shashank

Insurance coverage for BAHA BP100
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:16:27 pm »
Hi All,

Does anyone have any knowledge on whether BAHA BP100 will be covered by the insurance guys in India say "MediAssist"?

I recently underwent Ear surgery for my left ear and have been told by the doc that BAHA is the only option. I did check out with the DOC whether he is aware of but he said he wasn't.

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards
Shashank

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Insurance coverage for BAHA BP100
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:49 am »
Shashank -

I don't know anything about insurance in India.

I have a Divino (the BP100 is the new upgrade to the Divino) and it came with a 12 month "factory warranty".  Here in the states, it's also possible to have a BAHA device (the tiny hearing aid part) covered by what's called a "rider" (kind of like an addendum) on your homeowner's insurance policy.

I have had a BAHA for almost 18 months now and I absolutely love it.  In my opinion, it's well worth the surgery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

Re: Insurance coverage for BAHA BP100
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:14:33 am »
Shashank,

I don't know if your insurance will cover the cost of surgery and the processor, but Cochlear does offer free  assistance in trying to get insurance companies to provide coverage.  Your doc will have to contact them at cochlear.com for the paperwork you and he will need to fill out.  Cochlear doesn't offer any guarantee that their efforts will succeed, but it's worth a try if your insurance company denies coverage.

Good luck,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!