Author Topic: Tinnitus equals hearing loss  (Read 4885 times)

lholl36233

Tinnitus equals hearing loss
« on: October 13, 2009, 05:09:39 pm »
Has anyone ever told you if you have tinnitus, you have hearing loss?  The radiation oncologist I just saw told me that.  He was the first one.  Of course, tinnitus and hearing loss don't equal a tumor but it makes sense. 
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Richey

Re: Tinnitus equals hearing loss
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 07:00:42 pm »
I'm 62 and I had a chance a few years ago to review my medical records from when I was in the Air Force and I was interested to know that I complained about tinnitus way back there in my 20's and I never had any significant hearing loss until the AN came into my life. So, I don't know the correct medical answer but I do know you can have tinnitus and still have very good hearing. I have it now in my good ear and my hearing loss in it is very small. Of course my deaf ear has tinnitus that is magnified by not having any useful hearing to help mask the ringing.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:13:15 pm »
Laura ~

I don't like to disagree with a medical doctor but to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge, having tinnitus doesn't inevitably lead to hearing loss.  Although some hearing loss is probably quite common in tinnitus sufferers, thus the good doctor's blanket statement that "if you have tinnitus, you have hearing loss".   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:51:37 pm »
I had tinnitus in both ears for years!  My hearing is good in both ears. My AN side has a little more ring to it with a little less hearing. Mickey

lholl36233

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:48:33 pm »
The doctor probably meant there is some degree of hearing loss if you have tinnitus.  Hearing can still be good but not perfect.  I have no tinnitus in my 100% right ear.  He was the first person to say that to me so I thought it was interesting. ;D
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:50:03 pm »
I'm puzzled by this comment.  I know lots of people who have tinnitus and perfect hearing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lholl36233

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 04:36:53 pm »
I don't know much but I do know that briefly, after a round of prednisone, I had perfect hearing and tinnitus but of course, it didn't last.  I also recall thinking my hearing was perfect when it was actually down 30%.

Who knows but I'm not inclined to disagree with the chief of radiation oncology at MGH???

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 05:45:21 pm »
I'm puzzled by this comment.  I know lots of people who have tinnitus and perfect hearing.

Jan

Jan, in agreement with you.  My grandmother had brutal tinnitus and never had an AN.  My mother had tinnitus from a rupture eardrum, yet, no AN.  Mom had no hearing loss, even with her tinnitus.

I'll dispute any doctor as long as I have promient backup documentation. Heck, I dispute with my docs all the time... sometimes they are right.. and sometimes they are not.  Dr's are not "gawds", only human and they err as well.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 07:58:59 pm »
Dr's are not "gawds", only human and they err as well.

Absolutely!  Docs are people, too  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lholl36233

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 05:38:32 pm »
I spoke to my friend whose hearing is almost gone in one ear.  She does not have tinnitus.

The doctor was wrong.  There goes that theory...