Author Topic: MRI New Findings  (Read 8765 times)

Vivian B.

MRI New Findings
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:19:08 am »
Hi Everybody,

I just received shocking news from my Neurosurgeon. Remember initially they were unsure as to the measurements of my first MRI in comparisson to my 2nd MRI and the Dr. said he would confirm it and call me back. He said that if there was 1mm in growth it would not matter at thist point. The doctor called me this morning and he confirmed that there was a 2mm growth and this requires tratment right away. He said he will make a referral to the gammaknife centre and they will call me for a consultation and treatment should be scheduled within 6 weeks. When I asked him if this is considered a rapid growth he said not rapid, but significant enough to require treatment. I'm scared!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: MRI New Findings
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:29:15 am »
Vivian .....

My thoughts and prayers are with you.  How well I remember the shock of hearing "you need treatment now."  In your case, you probably have been thinking, "well, someday in the future...." and suddenly the future is here.

Relax, take a deep breath, you still have plenty of time to make the right decision for you.  Do not be in a rush or feel pressured to do what does not feel right to you.  You will be OK.

Let us know how the gamma knife referral goes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:40:45 am »
Vivian:
I have read JUST today a doctor Clinton reported on a message board (I think in here) that sometimes a 1-2mm growth could just be the difference in the MRI used or the position at which they did the measure. 
Have confidence and always double ask everything.
In the meantime, know that someday it will have to come out and that the sooner the better before it gets too big.  You will have alot of support on here and everyone will walk you through it!
Everyone has also felt that "scared" feeling, that is natural.  Try to replace it with a confidence that ALL will be OK!!! 
Hugs to you and keep us posted....
Rhonda
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:16:20 am »
Hi Rhonda and Clarice

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. The only people that can truy understand are us on this forum. Thanks for your support. I waiting for a consultation appt. date. I will keep you posted.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:48:17 am »
Vivian,

We will be keeping you in our prayers. If you haven't already, write all your questions for the doctors down so that you don't forget. I remember not being able to think straight the first time I talked with my doctors! I had my list of questions with me thank God. Please keep us posted and know we are with you all the way. Everything will be okay.

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

mk

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:05:10 am »
Hi Vivian,

sorry for this unsettling news. 2 mm is still not very much, but can be significant for 6 months. Changes in shape can also be indicative of growth. I think that Dr. Schwartz is trying to be proactive, and schedule treatment for you soon, to make sure that you keep all your options open (including radiation). He is probably afraid that if your AN (or meningioma) grows a bit more, it will start to cause significant compression, thus eliminating the option for GK.
From my personal experience, having a proactive physician who takes you seriously is very important. This is what Dr. Schwartz is doing right now.
Let us know when your appointment with the GK centre is scheduled.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 11:32:33 am »
Hi Marianna and Scarlet,

Thank you both for your good wishes.

Vivian

LisaP

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:50:47 pm »
Hi Vivian,

Keep us posted on what you plan on exactly doing for treatment and when.  I go for a MRI on Wed Oct 21st so as you can imagine, I am nervous too.  Best wishes for you and wish me luck too.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 01:23:35 pm »
Hi Vivian,

Wow is all I can say!!!  You are in good hands and I know you know that.  It is shock that you are feeling.  Just know that I would be freaking also.  This community is behind you all the way.  As I have been told over and over again.....BREATHE

Anne Marie OX
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 02:39:26 pm »
Vivian ~

I was dismayed to learn that the MRI showed a growth in your AN and that your doctor has decreed the AN needs almost immediate treatment.  I hope the upcoming consultation is helpful and you can get a better idea of the situation.  Being frightened at this unexpected turn of events is perfectly normal but I think you'll be able to handle this.  You know your 'AN family' is with you in spirit and that prayers and good vibes are, even now, going out to you and for you. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 03:45:03 pm »

Jim, Anne Marie, Lisa, I don't know what I would have done without this forum other than self destruct. I know I can count on everyone here for support. I will provide an update as soon as I have an appt . date. I think I will follow up in a few days to make sure that the clinic received my referral.

Lisa, good luck. We are all in this togother.

Vivian 

Vivian B.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 12:12:10 pm »
Hi Donnalynn,

Thank you for your kind words. I think the Dr. thought that 2mm in 6 months was significant and maybe because it's sitting on top of the facial nerve he didn't want to take any chances. I will keep you posted.

Vivian

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 12:19:27 pm »
hey vivian  :-*

Just my 2 cents... head MRI's have  a "total margin of error" of +/-2mm... and it honestly sounds like you are within the "total margin of error". Pls keep in mind different MRI technologies, different "slices" of the MRI views, different radiologists reading the films, different dr's measure differently, etc.

I may be out of line, but in my research and discussions with others, it certainly sounds like you are in the "total margin of error" for head MRI's... and not sure if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are still within the same, with no enhanced growth. Now, you know I'm not a dr.. and if there was a difference by... say...... 4mm or 5mm, then I would definately be concerned.

either way... regardless if I'm right or wrong, I'm sending the healing hugglez your way... you know it :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

another NY postie

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 05:41:52 am »
Vivian,
I am sure this news in disconcerting at the very least!  Hang in there and still take your time making this BIG decision unless the doctor can give you a compelling reason why he is recommending immediate action.  Even if it did grow 2 mm in 6 months, you should still be able to take your time to decide- a month or two should not have a significant impact.  THis is a huge decision and you need to be able to feel calm in your gut that you made the right decision for yourself.  You will know this.  I was told this and didn't really get it, until I just knew! :D  There is a right treatment, right doctor, right timing for YOU alone!  So take a good deep breathe, write those questions down, seek another or several opinions and then listen to your body.  We are all here for you and you will be just fine!  Hang in there!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Jackie

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 07:01:35 am »
Hello Vivian,

As a fellow Watch and Waiter, I can only imagine being told that your intruder is growing. Those are not the words any of us want to hear, however we do know that this could be a possiblility. Please make sure that whatever you decide to do, be comfortable with your decision and don't feel pressured. Review all of your reasons for moving forward, and make sure it is the best option for you and your situation. Whatever your decision, know that we will be there for you and support you and comfort you!!!

Blessings coming your way,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???