Author Topic: New Guy Question - What's the Deal w/The Knitted Hats???  (Read 17442 times)

doctorb

New Guy Question - What's the Deal w/The Knitted Hats???
« on: October 01, 2009, 04:39:24 pm »
The thread topic says it all...what's up with the hats?  ??? ??? ???

joebloggs

Re: New Guy Question - What's the Deal w/The Knitted Hats???
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »
The knitted hats are famous the world over!  Steve the legend knits them for people he likes.  He never knitted me one.  Bastard.  Ha ha... just kidding Steve!  He knows I can knit my own... that's the real reason (I think??!!)!  I think the story goes, he knitted one for himself and put a picture up and the AN'ers loved it so much they all wanted one - he's a busy boy... knit knit pearl pearl!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

doctorb

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:02:05 pm »
Thanks, I'll be sure to stay on Steve's good side...might get a hat some day!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 05:11:12 pm »
Don't hold your breath.   :D
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

doctorb

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:13:03 pm »
Don't hold your breath.   :D

You can be sure of that...breathing normally!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:31:04 pm »
Well, it all started out as kind of a joke - but then Steve went ahead and learned how to knit.

I for one was shocked  :o  I'll admit it - again - I never thought he'd do it.  But one day he showed up on the Forum with a blue hat.  Then I got a green one in the mail.  Then Phyl got one.  Then DHM got one.  And on and on and on.  Who knew that Steve was so talented  ;D

Here's a thread that might interest you  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8598.0

Also check out Steve's website http://stevegerrard.home.comcast.net/~stevegerrard/Hats/index.html     The website is missing a picture of the Steelers' hat that Steve knit for LA David.  Someone stole it out of David's mailbox, so he was never able to send us a picture  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

joebloggs

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:01:55 am »
Really?  Someone stole it?  How rude.  That makes me really sad. 
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:11:54 am »
LA David's had his stolen?  :o  :o  Didn't know about that!  Shows just how valuable "nimble fingers" hats truly are... as I value mine immensely!

<-------------  Love my lavender.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:17:33 am »
The knitted hats are famous the world over!  Steve the legend knits them for people he likes.  He never knitted me one.  Bastard.  Ha ha... just kidding Steve!  He knows I can knit my own... that's the real reason (I think??!!)!  I think the story goes, he knitted one for himself and put a picture up and the AN'ers loved it so much they all wanted one - he's a busy boy... knit knit pearl pearl!

I didn't get one either!  But that didn't stop me from getting a really nice black one with a little skull on it -- it is a skateboarding hat -- and all my son's friends (9yo) think it is very cool!
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

doctorb

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 06:38:01 am »
Well than, I might have to go out and buy myself a hat or just steal one of my little guys...he's got a bunch of them and won't miss one if it suddenly disappeared one day.  I'm certainly not going to take up knitting...might poke myself in my good eye and than I'd really be screwed!  :o

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 07:24:31 am »
LA David's was, like the others, special made BUT it was even more special b/c it was the Steelers' colors as he LOVEs them.  Steve mailed it and apparently someone took it out of the mailbox before he received it.  It all started on the Book Club thread when Steve stated that he didn't think he wanted to read The Friday Night Knitting Club.  He definitely shocked us all when he had taught himself to knit off the internet!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 07:57:39 am »
Doc,
Yes, I thought the same when I joined the forum. Who is this "Steve-  May I knit you a hat?"
  He is very busy and will have to start charging $$$$$$$$$$$ soon. Or else change his sig!
 ..........I can knit you a hat but it will cost you......
He's great. I met him in Portland  couple of weeks ago.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 08:21:38 am »
When I first joined the forum, everyone was buzzing back and forth about Steve’s hats. I was on the forum doing my research and followed the hat thread quietly. The way everyone joked with each other made me realize how much everyone cared about each other, and that a good sense of humor was good medicine and still possible with an AN.

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

doctorb

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 08:24:53 am »
When I first joined the forum, everyone was buzzing back and forth about Steve’s hats. I was on the forum doing my research and followed the hat thread quietly. The way everyone joked with each other made me realize how much everyone cared about each other, and that a good sense of humor was good medicine and still possible with an AN.

Scarlett

You're so right...expect my sense of humor to be present in most every post I write!

Doc

tenai98

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 09:08:40 am »
Doc
You may want to post your preference in color for a hot...mine is burgendy type color
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7