Author Topic: New Guy Question - What's the Deal w/The Knitted Hats???  (Read 17449 times)

tenai98

Re: New Guy Question - What's the Deal w/The Knitted Hats???
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2009, 06:32:37 am »
Is headed to Mexico for month of January......I can bring back sombreros....get ur order in now...lol
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2009, 02:37:38 pm »
Jan/DHM ~

While the issue of who looks good in a hat (of any style) is purely subjective, I stand my my position that I don't look good in a hat (any style).  I base this opinion on many decades of observation as well as my wife's supporting opinion (and she loves me).  Those who believe they look good in a hat should certainly wear one.  My opinion relates only to me, although I reserve the right to hold the view that some people (mostly men) really don't look good in a hat.  Just as some people - male or female - shouldn't wear tight pants - but that's a whole different thread!  :D

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2009, 03:02:57 pm »
Jim in tight pants... I'd pay to see that!  Also to see him in a hat... :) 

Jim... geesh! Me thinks I'll see if Steve can knit you a togue in the color of your stunning wife's eye color! How about that!? :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2009, 04:30:38 pm »
Jim,

Perhaps a propeller beanie?  I'll bet you haven't tried one of those.   :D

You apparently feel about hats the way I feel about men in Speedo bathing suits.   :-X

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

tenai98

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2009, 05:52:41 pm »
men in speedos...gross...once while training with kids, we saw an older gent in a fade red speedo  cutting the lawn....gag me.....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 08:34:08 pm »
Jim in tight pants, wearing a sombrero with a beanie on the top, …doing the java jive. :D  :D

Ok Ok OK I am keeling over here with this visual….  :D

You folks are so funny.  ;)

WE still love you Jim!  :-*

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 09:07:37 pm »
Jim in tight pants, wearing a sombrero with a beanie on the top, …doing the java jive. :D  :D

Ok Ok OK I am keeling over here with this visual….  :D

Oh man!  Good thing Jim has a sense of humor  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2009, 06:49:16 am »

You apparently feel about hats the way I feel about men in Speedo bathing suits.   :-X

Lori - what about a Speedo/sombrero combo?  Now THAT would be unique (and stomach wrenching too.)

On a slightly more serious note - How sensitive is the incision as it heals?  Could a regular baseball cap be worn a week or two post op?  Or just loose fitting hats?
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

joebloggs

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2009, 11:59:24 am »

I personally wouldn't have worn a regular baseball cap that soon after my op - I only got the staples out 10 days post op and still had a dressing on it a couple of days after that.  The incision wasn't sensitive for me, a bit itchy as it healed - but I certainly left it alone - I wouldn't want anything like a tight hat rubbing against it really.  Perhaps a good rule of thumb might be avoid tight hats until you can comfortably sleep on your scar side?  Maybe 3-4 weeks?  From what I've read though some people's scar stays quite sensitive for a while.  Is it coming into winter where you are?  I'd go for a beanie/toque if you can?  This is a pic of my scar covering head gear of choice on the day I had my staples out (the headband is covering my dressing just before going in to get my staples removed).  It's just a knitted headband - not much good for blokes probably, but perhaps you could get some kind of skiing headband thing?

P.S. Still is taken from film footage so not very good quality - sorry!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

lori67

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2009, 04:21:24 pm »
DR -

I think you'd look stunning in a knitted head band!  Something in a more masculine color and pattern, of course.

I wore a baseball hat when my husband made me go to my daughter's soccer practice the day I came home from the hospital - but it was adjustable and I kept it loose.  Of course, half of my head was still numb at that point, so I probably could have tightened it up and not felt it anyway!

JO, speedos are bad enough at the beach, but they should definitely be outlawed for lawn mowing attire!   :P

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

another NY postie

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2009, 08:16:50 am »
Ok, Steve, you can cross me off you list - I am sure I was at the bottom!  My friend presented me with this little beanie when I got home from LA!
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

4cm in Pacific Northwest

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!