Author Topic: BAHA ?  (Read 4923 times)

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
BAHA ?
« on: September 26, 2009, 07:34:47 am »
I have never heard of this until I joined.  I looked it up and it says it can help with misformed or incomplete ear canals.  My ear canal is sewn shut.  Would it work for me?

EDIT:  I also just realized that there is a metal plate right behind my ear.  I don't know if there would be room.  I was told no hearing aide would work.  My hearing is gone period.  I don't trust these doctors anymore.  I am working of getting all of my files needed to see Dr. Arriaga.  I have some questions.  Right now I am hoping beyond hope that a BAHA can work for me.  I was a classical musician.  My hearing loss was part of why I quit before.  With the way my right hand is, I may never be able to play like I did, but with my hearing back I can at least play casually again.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:44:29 am by Nani »
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

amymeri

Re: BAHA ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:46:17 am »
I think so. People with atresia use the BAHA with good success.  If you have hearing via bone conduction (even if you don't have any air conduction) the BAHA should work for you.

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:06:37 am »
The ENT was checking out my hearing in my left ear.  He tapped the pitchfork against the bone above my left ear (deaf) and seemed surprised when I told him I could hear.  Right now I am in near tears.  I know I may be setting myself up for disappointment, but to have some kind of hearing back...  I was told there was no hope.  I just don't understand why this wouldn't work.  I've looked it up and have seen some pictures of different placements.  I know there is no plate where I've seen a few of them.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:53:14 am »
it is bone conducted....the noise (sound waves) travels via the bone to the good ear......it is amazing what technology can do for a person....Take one day at a time....I'm sure other will chime in....If you have good hearing in ur other ear, there is no reason why you cant have a baha
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:20:15 pm »
I read an article in a web site about a woman with double atresia who had two bahas and could hear. 

http://www.baha-users-support.com/mairim_reines_story.php

http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 01:36:34 pm »
Nani,

When a BAHA is used for someone who is deaf in one ear, the intent is to send the sound through the skull over to the other ear. You hear everything with the one good ear, but you can detect sound coming from both sides of your head when you use it.

Some audiologists and ENTs are not familiar with this application of the BAHA, since  it is also used to bypass the middle ear and aid hearing on the same side as the BAHA. That application wouldn't work for you. It will help to find an audiologist or ENT who has some experience using BAHAs for people who are deaf in one ear.

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 04:28:56 pm »
I also just realized that there is a metal plate right behind my ear.  I don't know if there would be room. 

Nani -

lots of people who have a BAHA (me included) have "hardware" from their AN surgery.  The doc can usually implant it in another area of the skull, if the "usual" place is already taken.

Lori (lori67) has her BAHA abutment very far away from her ear - almost towards the middle of her neck - but it works just fine for her.

When you get some time, check out Cochlear's website @ www.cochlearamericas.com and read more about the BAHA - IMO, it's amazing!  You can also find docs in your area who do the surgery - just go to the "Find a Clinic" area.

Amy -

thanks for the links on the BUSK site.  I've never seen two BAHAs on a headband like Mairim is wearing.  I wonder if she actually has Cochlear implants (?)  BAHAs are usually for unilateral hearing loss (aka SSD) while their counterpart (Cochlear implants) are used for those who are bilaterally deaf (deaf on both sides).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 05:33:36 pm »
Hi Nani.

Yes, my BAHA abutment is further back than most - that's where the surgeon had to go to find "good" bone to put it in.  It's not ideal because of the way the microphones on the Divino are set up, but since the new BP100 is out, it won't be as big a disadvantage.  I was able to try out the BP100 at the symposium and it was noticably better at picking up the sound coming from in front of me than my Divino.  I would imagine a surgeon would be able to find a good spot to put an abutment for you as well.

Don't get discouraged!  Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right doctor who can help you.  It seems like for every 4 that tell you they can't help, there's 1 out there that can.  Keep looking for that one.  This type of technology is improving every day so there's bound to be something out there that's right for you.

Good luck!
Lori
p.s. - Jan, I have heard of Bilateral BAHAs - I'm sure it's not that common, but apparently they can work in certain situations.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 07:13:52 pm »
 [/quote]

I've never seen two BAHAs on a headband like Mairim is wearing.  I wonder if she actually has Cochlear implants (?)  BAHAs are usually for unilateral hearing loss (aka SSD) while their counterpart (Cochlear implants) are used for those who are bilaterally deaf (deaf on both sides).

[/quote]

Jan,

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think dual BAHAs are actually fairly common. The BUSK website is full of postings from people who have two BAHAs and parents whose children wear dual BAHAs. I was totally unfamiliar with the numerous -- and there seem to be quite a few -- medical conditions which result in the need for either one or two BAHAs, but I gather that many are genetic in nature and/or are considered abnormalities occurring at the time of birth.

When I first started wearing my BAHA I was curious to learn about other AN patients who wore BAHAs ... but that situation was actually not the norm on the BUSK website or one or two others I encountered. I kept searching on the Internet ... and that's how I came to find this ANA forum.

From all that I've read about these "non-AN" conditions that are helped by one or two BAHAs I am convinced that those of us who've "only" had to deal with an acoustic neuroma are indeed fortunate. A lot of those other BAHA wearers have multiple challenges -- many of which, but not always all, are related to both their internal and external hearing and ears. 

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 09:42:42 pm »
Lori and Catherine -

thanks for explaining the dual BAHAs to me.  I know that lots of people who are SSD as a result of something other than an AN wear a BAHA - but the idea of wearing two processors is new to me.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 11:29:14 pm »
Jan, you should read up on this page:
http://products.cochlearamericas.com/baha/introduction-to-baha/who-can-use-baha

One use for the BAHA is SSD. The other use, and perhaps the more common one, is for conductive loss. For conductive loss, the BAHA helps you hear on the same side as the BAHA, by bypassing the ear canal and middle ear. If you have conductive loss on both sides, then a BAHA on both sides makes sense.

For AN patients, it is only the SSD use that is relevant, since we don't get conductive loss from an AN, we get sensorineural loss - the chochlea and/or nerve are damaged.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 12:54:50 pm »
Steve -

as a Cochlear volunteer, I guess I should have known this   :-[  but my main job has been talking to those who are SSD as the result of an AN since that's what I can relate to best.

But thanks to you - and the link - I'll now be a more well-rounded, informed volunteer  :)

Jan