Author Topic: HAIR AND SCAR ISSUES  (Read 6438 times)

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
HAIR AND SCAR ISSUES
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:16:25 pm »
Hello - I had my surgery July 6, 2 1/2 mo ago.  I'm seeing my doctor next week, Dr. Slattery at House, I'm wondering if it's normal...I have a lot of hair, curly, middle length and thick, which makes it very necessary to put conditioner, otherswise I look horrible, like a dog that has not been brushed in years, so I don't brush my hair, just blow dry it and after all this time I feel that a few stitches are still there, when I pass my finger through the incision I feel like it's kind of sticky and crispy, like there's scar still there, I have started wondering if I have leakage in the incision area that does not let it dry completely, I have considered just getting a very short haircut and see if that helps, but it took me five years to get my hair to my length because of the thickness and curls.  What was your experience and what do you suggest.
Thanks!

Lilan

Re: HAIR AND SCAR ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:47:13 pm »
I'm not exactly sure I'm understanding the hair part, but I wonder if there might be some scabbing there. That seems to take forever to come off and I'd say better not to mess with it! I'm sure Dr. S. can clue you in when you see him.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:22:33 pm »
I've had 3 surgeries in 9 months - first with the AN removal and 2 more related to infections.  I can so relate to hair and scar issues.  What I can tell you is that it can take a good while for the scalp to heal...and in the process, it can continue to scab a bit.  I have been told to continue to put vitamin E on the scar to aid in keeping the site soft - it does help.  Good that you are seeing your doctor and get some direction on how best to care for yours.  These incisions are just in rotten places for healing - seems like I'm always roughing mine up when I sleep too, which just keeps things aggravated.  (My hair is thick and curly too, but I've kept it short for a long time - you must be very patient!!)

Good luck!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

ilsemor

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:46:57 pm »
Thank you, I never thought about putting Vit.E, it makes sense, I thought of aloevera gel, from the plant, I have used it to speed the process of burns and cuts, but i'm a little afraid of doing on my scalp since this was a major surgery.  Wow, 3 surgeries, I really count my blessing and I hope I don't need more, you sound in great spirit, good for you, did you have facial nerve issues?  My face is still with some paralysis and my eye still can't blink.  I'm so glad to be part of this AN family.
Thank you and good luck with your recovery too.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:18 pm »
Hi ilsemor,

I'm afraid I have no advice on dealing with a lot of thick curly hair - that is just a fading memory for me. :)

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, please make yourself at home.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ilsemor

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:23:04 am »
Thank you Steve.  You know, for us ladies, hair is such an issue. I also forgot to ask if there's supposed to be a huge amount of hair loss after surgery, I know I have complained in the original message that I have too much hair but, if I keep loosing hair like this I might have definitely gotten one more benefit out of this surgery (a lighter head! :)
Good day!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 11:44:49 am »
Hello - and welcome, ilsemor  ~

Just wanted to respond to your question regarding hair loss following surgery.  I strongly suspect that what you're feeling is scabbing that hasn't yet dislodged.  Asking your doctor about this is the way to go before getting a short haircut that you don't seem to really want.  To the best of my knowledge - I'm not a doctor - there shouldn't be an inordinate amount of hair loss, post-op.  I didn't notice any hair loss as my scalp healed.  In fact, the shaved section had grown back in 6 weeks or so and my scar was invisible in no time.  Still, we're unique individuals and I doubt that any two AN surgery veterans have the exact same hair growth.  I know that some medications can affect hair health (sometimes making it brittle and thin) but the surgery, in and of itself, shouldn't affect the condition of your hair, excepting the small amount that was shaved off for the operation.  However, that old bugaboo - stress - could also be a factor.  Let's hope your hair remains healthy as your scalp continues to heal!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 04:11:30 pm »
Islemore
Regarding hair loss after surgery...that happened to me  at about 2 or 3 months post op. I lost what seemed like a ton of hair-I would say all was back to normal after a month or two.  I couldn't believe after not having to have much hair shaved for surgery that I was suddenly losing all of my hair. I think I read that sometimes happens after a major surgery because it shocks the hair in it's growing process. I'm not really sure if that is the reason but I did stop losing my hair! Yours will stop too.
Erin

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 07:13:26 pm »
HI Islemore!

After all this, I don't have any facial nerve issues that are visible - I did feel a "heaviness" on my AN side for several months after surgery, but that has gone away.  (They did leave a fragment on the facial nerve to preserve it.)

I also lost hair at what I thought was an alarming rate after the 2nd surgery (I think!).  Anyway, my hair has always been extremely thick and I could actually see my scalp in the front at times, depending on how it laid, and that NEVER happened.  Really freaked me plum out!!!  BUT....the loss slowed down to normal and all is well.  It grew back in and now the only concern is on the back which I fondly call "The Spot".  After all of these challenges, I am learning to become a much more patient person and count my blessings!!  (I learn lessons the hard way, but I'm trying!)

Take care!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:36:24 pm »
Hi Ilsemore and welcome to this Forum.

For what it's worth, I think I may have finally picked off the last scab from my incision (from 19 months ago!).  Unfortunately I did not use Vitamin E or Mederma until recently, when I bought a CVS generic kind.  Not sure it helps much at this late date, but can't hurt, I don't think.

I did not significantly lose hair following surgery, but I sure did after the births of each of my three children.  I would presume you will find your hair growth returning to normal before long.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

OTO

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 03:19:50 pm »
It does take a long time for the scalp to heal... it seemed like months and months.   It'll be sensitive for awhile too...  sometime it hurt just to comb my hair.   I think some where long ago there was a discussion thread about losing hair after surgery.   I forget what the concensus was...  I too felt I was losing alot of hair post surgey, but then it slowed down to "normal" which is still too much for me... but then I'm at the age where I'm losing hair anyway...

ilsemor

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 06:11:59 pm »
Hello Again, I've also been applying Neosporin for the last few days, has anybody tried this?  I haven't put color in my hair in four months and it looks bad, for the ladies out there, how long did you wait to put color back on your hair?

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 06:43:53 pm »
I haven't put color in my hair in four months and it looks bad, for the ladies out there, how long did you wait to put color back on your hair?

I waited for one month after translab surgery to have my hairdresser color and highlight my hair -- I think this is pretty typical for patients who haven't experienced post-surgical issues.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 07:06:00 pm »
Hi, ilsemor and welcome to the Forum.

Neosporin on your head is fine - you can also use bacitracin or polysporin.

As for the hair color - I used to color mine - and my doc said I could just as soon as my head was "healed enough".  Pretty subjective comment  ::)

Just when is "enough"?  I'd check in with your doc to see what his/her rule is.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 08:16:46 pm »
I used hair product in my hair and it seemed attracted to the scar area.  It would cake on, crust, flake and for the first few months aggravate it.  I stopped applying product to that area for a while.  I am still cautious around the scar for paranoia that it will cake up and flake again and it will look like giant white flakes of dandruff falling out while I am out at dinner or something.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.