Author Topic: Update on Mike  (Read 8865 times)

eshutterbug47

Update on Mike
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:05:44 pm »
 :( Mike was admitted to the hospital tonight. He has a blood clot in each of his legs.  He will probably be in there for a couple of days.

sgerrard

Re: Update on Mike
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:20:50 pm »
Argh. He didn't need that. I believe they have good methods and medications for dealing with blood clots; they can happen after any kind of surgery. Maybe it will turn out to help with the shaky legs as well. Hoping for the best.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

eshutterbug47

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:00:14 am »
What infuriates me is that we went to RI Hospital on Monday morning because he was having vision problems.  He also told the ER doctor AND the neurosurgeon on call that he was having alot of pain in his right leg and they did absolutely nothing.  They said it was probably overworked muscles.  Didn't even consider a blood clot.  Thank God for the wonderful doctors and nurses at The Miriam Hospital in Providence. They were right on the ball; blood work and ultrasound.  Just one more obstacle for him to overcome, as if he weren't depressed enough. Good news is that I think he is finally going to talk to someone about his depression and hopefully get on medication. 

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:54:41 am »
HUG for MIKE.

The key is to reach out and talk to others about the frustrations ... and not bottle these in.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Keri

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:28:50 am »
Hi Liz,
I just read about Mike's recovery on your other thread. I hope he gets over the blood clot problems soon. I'm so glad the Providence hospital found it and is treating it.
I hope Mike is able to get past this set back and be on his way to making a good recovery. It does take a while. Many here on this forum will pray for him and support him.
Maybe someone that may be a good support guy (he's young and fairly recently post op) is Darin.
Take care, Liz and Mike! Hang in there and keep us posted on what's going on.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:46:08 am »
Liz -

I'm sorry to hear about this setback for Mike, but extremely glad to hear that the docs and nurses @ Miriam Hospital caught it.  Good for you for continuing to pursue this until someone figured out what the problem was.

I agree with the others, please encourage Mike to come visit us on the Forum.  I think he'll like us and I also think we may help with his depression.  There's nothing like being able to interact with others who have been in your "same boat".  If Mike is uncomfortable posting or even identifying himself, he can lurk -  lots do.

Take care and please keep us updated on Mike.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 06:56:27 am »
Hey, Liz...took me awhile to put two and two together and to realize who you were and that I "know" you...anyway, sorry to hear of Mike's new trouble, but very glad it was found and being taken care of.  Know he is very ready to get all of this behind him, as you are as well.  Nothing compares to having to watch your child suffer...hang in there and let Mike know we're pulling for him...and you!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 07:30:27 am »
Sorry to hear about the setback. Glad to hear you found some good docs.

Hearing that you're not too far away my offer in the other post still stands. As Mike gets better if he would ever like to try standup paddleboarding for balance therapy let me know. I have a lot of kind deeds to pay forward... :)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 02:55:49 pm »
I too feel bad that Mike has to go through all of this.  I am glad you both have found this forum.  It really does make you feel that you are not alone.  It is much easier to understand the information coming from real people than to reading on line medical journals and info.  It is frustrating that the other doctors did not investigate further...seems logical to me that a blood clot could exist more than overworked muscles when he is still recovering from a major surgery!  Glad he is getting the attention his body needs at this point.  Day by day...Hang in there, Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

eshutterbug47

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 05:40:48 am »
Hello everyone,
Not much more news on Mike. He went for a CT chest yesterday to check for a PE.  I haven't heard anything yet.  Good news is that he has finally decided to get help for his depression!  I will keep everyone updated on his condition. 

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 07:59:07 am »
Hi Liz,

Glad they finally found the clots, and can address them.

The depression issue is a tough one in deed.  It is a daily battle.

Hopefully Mike will join this forum, it helps to let it out and make you new friends along the way :)

Hopes and prayers for you both,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 12:17:39 pm »
Hi, Liz ~

I was sorry to learn about Mike's blood clots and depression but appreciated the update.  Those kind of blood clots are not uncommon after hospitalization and should be easily treatable  I really hope that Mike doesn't have to endure any more complications and I'm pleased to learn that he's going to address his depression, which can be a tough issue for anyone to deal with .

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 09:43:47 pm »
Liz -

I am SO relieved that Mike has agreed to seek help for his depression.  It should make all the difference in the world for him.

Please keep us updated.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sreda

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 07:20:12 am »
Liz, appreciate the new updates; and also so sorry about the setbacks. But now that you have real medical pros working on these issues, Mike is in good hands, and things should improve. I have found a lot of support here at this Forum before and after my own surgery, and think Mike may, as well.
Sis
Left side 4mm AN removed middle fossa 8/2004 at House by Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger. 48 yrs. old

tenai98

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 08:06:41 am »
Liz
So glad Mike is agreeing to seek help for his depression.  To deal with so much at such a tender age much be very hard for him....I will keep him in my prayers....And the best thing you can do for him is to keep yourself healthy...so get some rest and be kind to yourself.
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7