Author Topic: Update on Mike  (Read 8869 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Update on Mike
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 09:51:55 am »
Liz ....

So glad you did not take the ER doc's word and followed up with appropriate treatment for Mike.  So sorry he is having to deal with these unpleasant extra things.

My thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery and release from the depression.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wcrimi

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 12:21:09 pm »
You know my prayers are with both of you.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

eshutterbug47

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 06:08:03 am »
Well, they did find a pulmonary embolus in both lungs as well.  Mike may get released today but it all depends on his numbers with the blood work.  He is still on the Heparin drip and also Coumadin.  My understanding is that he will continue on the Coumadin for six months (although I have read that it could be longer).  He is cleared to start his physical therapy once released.  Last I heard he should be on his last week of Decardon.  The doctor in the hospital is going to check with his surgeon (who has not really been much help since the surgery).  Still depressed but I know it takes a couple of weeks or so for the medicine to start working. Hopefully dosage is right and such.  He will be following up with someone for that issue. 

Thanks to everyone for all of your support. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 06:17:08 am »
Liz,

I've been trying to get caught up with everyone and have also been following along on Mike's progress. I'm glad to hear that his team is certainly on top of things to get him well.  Sounds like they are certainly doing everything for the embolus and prepping him for release, PT and on the road to wellness. I know this has been a most difficult trek for you as well, so please try to take some time for yourself as well.

I'm cheering Mike on.... sending hugglez to you as well. Thank you for this update.  Prayers and wishes are wtih you both.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 07:18:53 am »
Hi, Liz...hope Mike will be able to go home today...thanks for keeping us updated.  Hope you can get some rest and relief after all of this also.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

eshutterbug47

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 06:24:02 pm »
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately Mike didn't come home today. Numbers still not where they want them.  He also has to have an echocardiogram tomorrow.  Apparently, every time he is up moving around his heart rate goes up to 150.  Not sure why, hopefully they find out what's going on with that. 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 12:09:29 pm »
Hi, Liz ~

Like everyone else who has followed this thread, I'm sorry to learn that Mike is still struggling with these other physical issues.  Mike's easily-triggered increase in his heart-rate could be caused by a number of things and I trust that, in a hospital setting, the doctors will be able to figure out the problem and do something to correct it.  I'm looking forward - with you - to some good news for Mike -  but we still appreciate the updates.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

eshutterbug47

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »
Echo was good and Mike is home!!! ;D

sgerrard

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 07:42:18 pm »
Excellent news! Home is right where Mike needs to be. Glad to hear it is looking better now. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 09:07:51 am »

Whew! Glad he is home now.

Wellness wishes.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 10:45:37 am »
Good news - always good to be home!

6 months is the "standard" for blood clots these days, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him on a little longer.  The blood thinners are a pain in the beginning, but once you get them regulated, it's not a big deal - just an occasional jab in the finger every few weeks.  I'm coming into the homestretch of being on them for a year myself and haven't had any problems or side effects from them.  Just tell him to be careful while shaving!!   :o

I hope the antidepressant does the trick.  It's very easy to become depressed somewhere along this AN journey.  It's definitely not a sign of weakness - it just means you're normal!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 11:28:49 am »

.. and a truly lovely wide grin, well earned and deserved!  ;D

Mike, so good to hear you are home.  Please rest and wellness wishes continue!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 11:48:14 am »
Oh, great, Liz!  Hope he can now begin to recover from everything he's been through...and you also :)

Please keep in touch and let us know how things progress for Mike.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 12:57:23 pm »
I agree, so glad Mike his home.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 01:11:54 pm »
Hi, Liz ~

Now, that was a great update!  Congratulations to Mike for finally being able to go home.  Things should start getting better, now.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.