Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed with AN  (Read 9740 times)

Tumbleweed

Re: Newly Diagnosed with AN
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 01:04:53 am »
...what my Neurosurgeon told me about radiation when I saw him today. He also advised me to stay on W & W for another 6 months. He said, at best it will grow 1 mm which won't make any difference in the outcome of the treatment.

This is usually true. But just so there's no blanket assumptions being made, it's important to realize that some ANs go through growth spurts and increase more than 1 or 2 mm in a 6-month period. While this is not too likely to happen, Bob should keep in mind that when an AN gets bigger than 3 cm, most doctors will refuse to treat with radiation (Staten Island University Hospital was one of the exceptions the last time I checked on this over a year ago). So, Bob, if you wish to keep all your treatment options on the table (including your choice of doctor, medical facility and type of treatment), you should keep close tabs on the growth of your AN and be prepared to make a decision in a timely manner should it go through a growth spurt or your symptoms begin to increase.

Just so there's no misunderstanding over my post, I agree with Vivian that W & W is totally reasonable in many cases. But it's important for people with medium-size tumors to not take a totally hands-off attitude, because things sometimes change rapdily for the worse. My humble advice: don't obsess or worry unduly but don't abdicate your responsibility to yourself, either. Bob, it sounds like you're making all the right moves by meeting with multiple doctors who specialize in different types of treatments and by asking the right questions on this forum. I'm confident yours will be a success story.

Sincerely,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Tumbleweed

Re: Newly Diagnosed with AN
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 01:13:39 am »

Has anyone's tinnitus improved after treatment?  What steps have some of you taken to live with it better?

Bob, my tinnitus improved dramatically immediately after getting CK. However, you shouldn't expect this to happen, as I'm told this was an unusual outcome.

Both before and after treatment, I've had several strategies for keeping my tinnitus at a tolerable level. Hopefully some of these tips will help you, too:

1. Get plenty of sleep and try to avoid working too late or too many hours. Stress and fatigue increase tinnitus for many people.
2. Stay hydrated. When I become dehydrated, my tinnitus increases in level pretty dramatically.
3. Avoid caffeine, coffee, chocolate and alcohol. (Yeah, right...  ;D )
4. Eat a balanced diet. I find that eating lots of steamed leafy green vegetables, baked salmon and whole grains on a regular basis can cut the level of my tinnitus in half or more. Just as important, I avoid eating processed sugar and overly oily foods (the exception being fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and seem to help reduce tinnitus for me.)

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08