Author Topic: Appt. at the House Wednesday.  (Read 4414 times)

loose screws (tightened)

Appt. at the House Wednesday.
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:54:40 pm »
Things are falling into place for me. Funny it takes an AR diagnosis to have such great luck.

Although it's been only 1 week since being diagnosed, I've ruled out radiation therapy. I was very optimistic about radiation therapy at first but I've decided it's not for me. I want this tumor out of me completely.

With that decision I received a call today from the House Ear Clinic that my referral from my ENT doc has been approved and I'm going to have an initial consultation with Dr. Brackman.

Things are looking up. Yeah!

Mike

PS. I've been following a story from "another NY newbie" Cheryl who's a poster here. She had surgery with Dr. Brackman at the house on wednesday the 23rd last week. All things appear to be going very well for her shes walking around and eating solid food. Hopfully she'll give us an update post op post when she can.
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Appt. at the House Wednesday.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:49:30 pm »
Mike -

congratulations on making your treatment decision - and at record speed, too!

AN journeys are tough, but treatment decisions are often one of the hardest parts.

Good luck with your appointment @ House.

Please keep us updated.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:58:57 pm »
Thanks Jan,
 I know that it seems I may be rushing things but if Dr. Brackmann say it's gonna need to come out, then why wait? Maybe I will set the record for diagnosis to surgery. But the way I see it, thats less time worrying for my family and more time living. Especially when you've got Dr. Brackmann as your surgeon and 2 granddaughters that want to spend time with me. Thank God I live near the HEC.

Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:05:33 pm »
Mike -

some people take a very long time to make their decision - I was not one of those people; so I don't think you're rushing things at all.

I had my surgery approximately 6 weeks after my diagnosis and only consulted with one neurotologist (he does both radiation and surgery).  I knew at my first appointment that he was the guy for me - the only question was would I have radiation or surgery.  I decided on surgery within a week of seeing him - I didn't even meet the neurosurgeon until my surgery was already scheduled. 

I'm a firm believer in going with my "gut" and my gut said full speed ahead.  Let's remove this tumor and let me get on with my life. 

HEI has a great reputation, as does Dr. Brackmann - so as you say, why wait?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:15:21 am »
Mike .....

This is great that you have an appointment on Wednesday.

I, as well, fall into the quick decision category and I do not regret the outcome one bit.  Because mine was a rare, rapidly growing AN, I just wanted it out of there and radiation was not really an option.  When the neurosurgeon compared my MRIs, he added me in to an already full schedule and I had my surgery within three weeks of diagnosis.  It was much better for me to have it over and done with quickly.

Keep us posted on what Dr. Brackman says on Wednesday.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:28:43 am »
Hey Mike - I'll be at House after noon 1:15 PM for my follow up with Slattery, what time is your appt?  I don't know all your story maybe we can console each other there.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:56:31 am »
Mike,

good luck at your appt and please let us know how it goes.

Ilsemor, when you see Dr. Slattery, please tell him "hello" from me and looking forward to continuing to pick his brain, as needed, as well. (I had the honor of enjoying lunch with him and Dr. Weit from Chicago at the symposium).  Dr. Slattery will know who I am (tell him Phyl from the Discussion forums).  Good luck at your appt as well!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 12:21:57 pm »
Hi, Mike ~

Well, you're certainly taking the fast lane from AN diagnosis to surgery - and I commend you for being decisive.  I agree that once you know what you want (surgery) and have a well-experienced doctor and facility nearby that you feel you can trust - why wait and put you and your family through unnecessary angst? 

I went from diagnosis to surgery in about 3 weeks.  It would have been a scant 2 weeks had there not be a cancer scare during one of my pre-op tests.  Fortunately, it was a false alarm and after initially canceling my AN surgery (the non-existent 'cancer' - supposedly in my liver - would have killed me within the year - or sooner) my neurosurgeon re-scheduled it for 5 days later and I was on my way.  No regrets.  I had a huge tumor, really troublesome symptoms and wanted this whole experience to be over with, just as you want your 'AN adventure' to be done.  That being the case, I not only empathize with your attitude but applaud your quick decision and determination to get through this.  I can tell you from experience - that attitude will serve you well. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:18:31 pm »
Hi Mike,

Good luck on your appointment. Making a decision is not easy but glad you did it. Like you say, less time to fuss over it. Keep us posted on your surgeryd date.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.