Author Topic: Any recommendations...House or Dr Fukushima  (Read 7648 times)

designergal

Any recommendations...House or Dr Fukushima
« on: September 23, 2009, 01:09:23 pm »
New here....

I was just diagnosed with a 2.5cm in the right side about a month ago... I have complete hearing in ear.  Only suffer from balance issues.  I met with Dr in Pittsburgh who recommended Translab.  I sent my scans to House and Dr Fukushima for review and they both recommend retrosigmoid with hope of hearing preservation....both think I need to have surgery sooner than later for hearing preservation.    I am now tasked with which center is best for me....I have 2 small children and going to House would keep me away from them for 10+days...not my idea of fun.  My husband would come with but may have to go back for work sooner than the 10 day stay.  My mother will not fly.....but said my dad could go out in her place....another story....<grin>.  I guess my only concern with Dr F is that he does the surgery alone....has staff there to monitor but he will be the only surgeon. 

any suggestions???

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Any recommendations...House or Dr Fukushima
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:18:38 pm »
Hi Designergirl and welcome. Sorry to hear you now have joined our ranks but glad you found us.

Fast question.... are you local to W. PA or E. OH, based on your checking of Pitt? How about Cleveland Clinic? They have been doing a lot of AN's as well and much closer to you (if you are, indeed, W. PA or such) than flying west?  Just a thought. If you go to the "Home" page for the forums... top left, do a "search" option for "Cleveland Clinic", you will see past conversations.  Cincinati is also terrific. Dr. John Tew's team at Univ of Cinci is fantastic as well. I had the honor of meeting him at this summer's ANA Symposium in Chicago (he won the "Medical Professional Excellence Award" from the ANA).

Just a couple of suggestions as to other locations maybe closer for you for ease of travels. Hope this helps.. and again, welcome.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

designergal

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 02:10:32 pm »
Thanks!

I live pittsburgh but did not get warm and fuzzies with my consult......and will check into both Cleveland and Cincy. 

thanks again!

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:43:14 pm »
Hello, I had my translab surgery at House, Dr. Slattery, it was 1.4m, lost my hearing as a result of the surgery.  I feel very blessed about my outcome.  Left the hospital on the fourth day, unfortunately got facial paralysis after 5 days of my surgery.  I'm slowly recovering from that, still have balance issues, went back to work full time after 6 weeks.  Drove after 6 weeks.  I liked the care of the group of doctors at House, everybody tells me I went to the best in the nation,  part of my decision was because I'm lucky to be 30 minutes away from it, I think that if you have a good local place, you must look into it.  You must like your doctors, and  most of all must have Faith in him/her, you're putting your life in his/her hands.  During my preop appointment I saw my team of doctors go in and out of surgery like two times in one day, that's how I realized I was in good hands.
Do your homework and make sure you feel comfortable with your decision.

designergal

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:31:13 am »
Thanks so much!................

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:38:14 am »
LisaA is a patient of Dr. Fukushima's and is very happy with him.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

clr

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 07:33:49 am »
Hello designergal,

I am sorry to see that you also have an AN!

I do not understand why you feel you need to travel when right here in Pittsburgh there is an excellent ENT center at UPMC Presby. It is actually ranked fourth in the country! My daughter when first diagnosed, was sent to the ENT Institute there where she/we met with Dr. Hirsch and a neurosurgeon, Dr. Gardner, at the same time.  UPMC is also ranked 13th overall, with neurosurgery being ranked at 17th. I think those are pretty good ratings for being right here in our own backyard.

Good luck!
Cindy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

OTO

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 11:14:41 pm »
Look for that thread by LisaA (Jan 2009).  Use the search tool, and enter in Fukushima.   Her post was very complementary.... several pages long....   

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:23:04 am »
Her post was a little controversial, which is why I originally didn't post the link to it, but here it is:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8607.0
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:28:19 am »
Don't know why I did not see this post before .....

Dr. Fukushima did my surgery at Little Duke in Raleigh, NC in February, 2008.  I am extremely pleased with my result!  I, too, had some initial reservations about him doing the surgery by himself but I also know that he gives 100% concentration and the results show.  A dear friend of mine just had her second meningioma removed by Dr. Fukushima and she sings his praises, as well.

15 years ago I had retrosigmoid surgery at UPMC in Pittsburgh for microvascular decompression of an artery pressing on the trigeminal nerve at the brainstem.  Following that surgery I had violent nausea and unrelenting headaches.  Naturally when I was scheduled for retrosigmoid surgery again (for my AN) a year and a half ago with Dr. Fukushima, I was terrified to have to go through the same thing again.  He reassured me they would do their very best to prevent that from happening again ..... and they did.  I had one tiny fleeting moment of nausea upon waking up and absolutely no headaches.  I was ecstatic!

You will be in good hands whether you go to Dr. Fukushima or to House.  Best wishes.

Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

designergal

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 08:15:48 pm »
Thanks to all for your responses!! you guys are great!

I have decided to go to Duke and scheduled for Nov 17th......nervous but ready!

thanks again!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 09:26:16 pm »
Designergal .....

You will be in excellent hands at Duke.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM or email me.

By the way, I live between Pittsburgh and Raleigh so I would be happy to meet and talk with you if you happen to be driving.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 08:09:54 am »
designergal,
  I live in the Raleigh area, and was treated at Duke, with Dr. Fukushima as a member of the Skull Base Surgery team.  Let me know if I can help, or if you have any questions.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

designergal

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 11:57:17 am »
thanks Rob...

we are currently looking for a hotel to stay for my husband.....any suggestions around the hospital?