Author Topic: metallic taste  (Read 21108 times)

tenai98

metallic taste
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:39:13 am »
I didnt have this right after surgery but  did have the periodical soap taste in my mouth...Now 5 months post op,I am having a lite, but yet definitely metallic taste in my mouth...It has yet to interfere with the taste of food. Really wouldnt mind that if i could lose the few pounds left to lose....
As any one else had this, this late after surgery????....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

MamaGina

Re: metallic taste
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 10:21:05 am »
I have a metallic taste in my mouth also.  I am 9 years post surgery.  I think it's just another effect of the severely damaged facial nerves.  It's not the worst problem I have, just adds to the fun.  I have also smelled things that weren't actually present--another effect of the damage.
L 3.0 cm AN resection via retrosigmoid approach 10/2000;
CSF leak repair w/mastoidectomy one week later. 
chronic headaches, vertigo, fatigue, facial paralysis, SSD, and more!

epodjn

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:36:24 am »
Yup, I have the same thing. I noticed it about 5 months post op and went to the dentist thinking there must be some kind of dental problem going on but he told it was the nerve damage and it might last a few weeks or forever. Some days are worse, some better. Maybe I'm just getting used to it but it doesn't seem to bother me as much as it used to. At first it would even wake me up at night. We sure get to have lots of fun side effects!!
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Joe B

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:48:56 am »
I didnt have this right after surgery but  did have the periodical soap taste in my mouth...

JO

Have you been periodically using foul language ;D

Actually, I started getting the metallic taste a month or two before surgery. I still have a funny taste in my mouth 3 1/2 months post op, but it isn't really a metallic taste (just a wierd, funny taste). My saliva is also a bit "sticky" (not as watery as before surgery). Like MamaG said, it's all part of the fun of having an AN :-\,

Joe B
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:56:25 am by Joe B »
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:12:20 pm »
Yes, its one sided and not as much saliva too.  I've been eating and drinking like crazy trying to find something that taste good, or as it was prior to surgery.  I've found pineapple to be the best thing so far....
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

moe

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 09:00:43 am »
I had the metallic taste post op. Strange, out of the blue there it is in the back of the tongue on the affected side. ???
It slowly diminished through the years for me. I just now very occasionally get it.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:32:33 am »
Jo,
  I had the metalic taste thing for a while after AN treatment.  But it slowly went away, so it can improve with time.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 04:20:43 pm »
Hello - I'm just back from my appointment with Dr. Slattery at House and he told that my metalic taste had to do with my facial nerve improving, (it's being less that 3mos. since my surgery) then I just read how for some of you it's been years.  Can somebody please tell me you been told the same as Dr. Slattery!  He also suggested taking zinc, he said it helps.
Thanks!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:42:52 am »
He also suggested taking zinc, he said it helps.

Thanks for this tip, ilsemor.  Someone (not a doctor) told me that zinc would help my metallic mouth, but I wasn't sure if this was true or not.  I started taking it post op and the metallic mouth did eventually go away.  I had no idea if the zinc had anything to do with it or not.  Nice to know that it did.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 05:46:10 pm »
Yes I have that also at first right after surgery it was a bad taste of blood for a couple of weeks and then it went to a metal taste I have been chewing of course sugar free gum and it seems to help a little with my head I have some hearing loss and that fullness.  No pun intended but I do not know if the gum chewing is just all in my head...or it does work ???
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 07:53:40 am »
I haven't had the metallic taste thing happen but I have noticed a change in my taste for certain foods. Although I like cheese, I had never had much liking for blue (or bleu if you happen to be of a more Continental bent) cheese.

Not long after the surgery I ordered a cheeseburger, not noticing that the cheese in this particular cheese burger happened to be bleu. After taking my first bite and noticing a taste I wasn't quite expecting,

I thought to myself "My, this is quite tasty." Much to my surprise, upon partially dismantling my burger I discovered this tasty new taste was cheese of the bleu-ish variety.

Overall, it was quite a nice bonus in this whole, growth at the edge of your brain journey.

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

Goldie

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 09:50:30 am »
I'm two weeks post translab and also have the metallic taste.  For me the metallic part is mostly an aftertaste that doesn't go away no matter what I do.  Some foods definitely taste different (especially beef and fish), but I seem to be having pretty good luck with both chicken and turkey.  My change in taste actually started six months earlier when I started having facial spasms and it would come and go.  I'm hoping now since the surgery that it will get better as the nerve has a chance to heal.  If not, I guess I'll be stocking up on chicken!  The biggest loss for me in taste is chocolate.  I've always been a big chocolate lover and it's just not the same!   :'(

Zinc is an interesting idea.  I remember a few years ago they said to take it when getting a cold...I tried it and ended up with a metallic taste!

Denise
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

MMH747

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 10:53:43 am »
I, too, have had this metallic taste, becoming quite pronounced about 4 months post-op.  Some days are better than others and I find that acidic foods really accentuate the metallic taste.  I look forward to tomatoes fresh from the garden every summer, but this year it was a real disappointment.  I have to add sugar to cut that acid (and metallic taste) so that I can even finish a portion of spaghetti.  I had enjoyed chocolate, especially dark chocolate, before surgery, but it doesn't taste all that good any more.  Given that I have significant facial nerve damage, my jaw gets sore pretty quickly with eating, so that along with the taste distortions, it does help to keep portion sizes down and hopefully continue to lose some weight.  I'm in the food business, so this is a real bummer.  Fruit tastes the best to me and I'll  have to try the zinc idea to see if that helps. 
Diagnosed March-09 with 2.7 cm x 1.7 cm tumor; Translab surgery (13 hours) - UW Hospitals & Clinics - Madison, WI on May 20,2009;  unresponsive facial nerve post-surgery; doing well with hearing, balance, and taste loss

Alchemist

• Recovering one day at a time!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 01:24:57 am »
I am about 18 mths post op and have the metallic taste as well on the AN side. Some days, it's worse than others. However, it is extremely bothersome as it changes the taste of food. Like some of you, prior to surgery, I enjoyed fish and other seafood, chocolate and a few other food items. Since surgery and radiation therapy, I am not enjoying these things anymore. My mouth is also extremely dry and extremely sensitive to any bit of spice, even black pepper...not good.  I am not enjoying food, period. I am so tired of mashed potatoes!  :(

Thank you for the tip about zinc, I will try it. I have brushed, swished, kept my dental appts, but to no avail. However, I noticed that having something salt, like popcorn, helped the taste a little bit, but I cannot have too much of it due to the issues with my mouth.

Again, thank you for the tip, and I appreciate y'all letting vent a little bit. I am very overwhelmed and frustrated.  ???

Ronnye
Translab @ EUH, Atlanta, GA 2.28.08
Drs. J. Olson & Mattox
Facial numbness left side; SSD
Radiation therapy followed surgery. Hospitalized for CSF leak 4.04.08 thru 4.11.08.
Long hard struggle back. Did I have to have this surgery?

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 07:10:09 am »
Ronnye:  The silver lining with me re: diminished taste is that I lost weight ! !   Since I can't taste most foods, I eat to live - the funny thing is I can taste vegetables & fruit the best !   Mother nature is playing a good joke on me b/c I never ate them much before, now I love them !    I eat the 'healthy' dark cocoa chocolate.
Friends/coworkers have told me they'd like to have the decreased taste for a couple of months to lose weight....    I exclusively drink water, another benefit !
It's been over 3 years for me with diminished taste (no taste buds working on the AN side), so I've gotten use to it.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis