Author Topic: metallic taste  (Read 21105 times)

Alchemist

• Recovering one day at a time!
Re: metallic taste
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 11:32:26 am »
Nancy,

I wish that were the case. Despite not eating much, I am not losing much weight. I think, however, the weight issue is because of meds. I have really bad migraines, as well as sleeping problems, so I think the combination of meds (including steroids) is not helping the weight issue. Plus, I have had some serious life challenges since the surgery that have not helped my recovery. My mom came to visit me last Thanksgiving, as she feared I was not eating right. She came to cook my meals as I could handle them. Two days after she got her, she died. Soon after her burial, my 20 yr old daughter took ill. She had intracranial hypertension and had shunt implanted in her brain. But the problem has left her legally blind. It has been a difficult transition for her, as she can no longer drive. She is a very social person. However, she returned to college this semester, but she is still in denial of her situation. So my plate has been full.

I eat some  veggies and fruits. I have always loved broccoli but I tend to choke on it now, as I do with rice. Also, the left side of my tongue feels heavy & swollen. So, imagine having all of that going on at the same time. Not pleasant.  I guess I will continue to try to see what works. I do know that food with texture irritates my mouth..so, it's mashed potatoes or pasta.

Thank you for responding. And, again, thank you all for allowing me to let off some of my frustration.
Translab @ EUH, Atlanta, GA 2.28.08
Drs. J. Olson & Mattox
Facial numbness left side; SSD
Radiation therapy followed surgery. Hospitalized for CSF leak 4.04.08 thru 4.11.08.
Long hard struggle back. Did I have to have this surgery?

tenai98

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 04:30:34 pm »
Alas, my metallic issues do not affect my taste buds...but I am taking a healthier approach to nutrition....less meat, more veggies...weight loss of 18lbs
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Alchemist

• Recovering one day at a time!
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 05:03:06 pm »
Congrats, Jo. I'm trying to do the same thing. Hopefully, I will have some success.
Translab @ EUH, Atlanta, GA 2.28.08
Drs. J. Olson & Mattox
Facial numbness left side; SSD
Radiation therapy followed surgery. Hospitalized for CSF leak 4.04.08 thru 4.11.08.
Long hard struggle back. Did I have to have this surgery?

Eturnit

• The joy of the LORD is my strength!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 06:46:42 am »
Hello, I am almost 4 months post craniotomy for A.N.  I've had an overwhelming metal taste in my mouth for the last 4-5 weeks.  Both of my doctors said it has nothing to do with the surgery - that it must be a vitamin I am taking.  ???  This is frustrating because I haven't changed my vitamin regimen since my surgery.  It is nice to know that I am not the only one with this side affect.  It is so hard not to question my experiences sometimes.  Thanks for voicing your question!

Kim
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:53:28 pm by Jim Scott »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 12:01:59 am »
I don't agree that it has nothing to do with the surgery.  Lots of us had metallic mouth post op.

Mine lasted for months - I don't recall exactly how many - but it eventually went away.  Try zinc.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Eli

• The scar is a c-section 4 the 2nd half of my life
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 01:19:06 am »
For the record, I've been doing the zinc for three weeks now. There's been no real improvement in the metallic taste issue. Also, periodically, it feels like my tongue was burnt by hot liquids. I haven't been drinking anything hot so that can't be the cause.

A few nights ago, my wife broiled some fantastic salmon steaks. Imagine my delight as every single bite tasted just like a chunk of a golden rod Dial soap bar...

AN - the gift that keeps on giving... >:(
Diagnosed - 09/29/09 with 1.9cm x 2.1cm x 1.7 cm right side AN - Like a huge Greek oliver in my head... Thus named Oliver...

Translab - 12/11/09 at UofIA Healthcare
Complete tumor removal. Facial nerve perserved.

Dealing with facial issues and wonkyheadiness now.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39:06 am »
Eli -

sorry to hear the zinc didn't work.  I never really knew if it helped me or not.  I started taking it and my metallic mouth eventually went away, but it may have left on it's own without the help of the zinc.  I'll never know.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Eli

• The scar is a c-section 4 the 2nd half of my life
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 01:53:33 pm »
Jan,

It's hard to know whether it's helping or not. And, it's worth a try. It's only been 3 weeks. I figure I take it until I use up all the pills. I posted that early this morning when I was tired but couldn't sleep. Seems like I have a lot of those nights these days.

A friend here was recommended zinc for his tinnitus. I think that was mostly for placebo effect but I'm not a doctor so I don't know. Maybe there is something to it.

I really needed to poke back on here last night and re-read everyone's comments. I'd begun wondering if the taste was a CSF leak. I doubt it could be. I don't have the horrible headaches, dripping nose or other symptoms. It was good to re-read that metallic taste can last a while and come and go. It helps me remember that I'm still recovering.

Eli.
Diagnosed - 09/29/09 with 1.9cm x 2.1cm x 1.7 cm right side AN - Like a huge Greek oliver in my head... Thus named Oliver...

Translab - 12/11/09 at UofIA Healthcare
Complete tumor removal. Facial nerve perserved.

Dealing with facial issues and wonkyheadiness now.