Author Topic: The Truth About Synkinesis  (Read 22630 times)

LADavid

The Truth About Synkinesis
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »
A few weeks ago, Angie posted a very frustrated comment.  Her PT informed her that synkinesis never goes away.  Here all this time, I thought the nerves would rewire themselves somehow and I would be normal again -- it would just take two years of PT and Botox.

So on Tuesday I asked my PT if it would go away.  I found out the ugly truth -- no it doesn't.  It's permanent.  It can only be managed with excersizes and Botox.  That signaled the end of my acting career.  That news culminated a pretty grim Summer of bad news and difficulties.  I'm looking forward to putting it all behind me.

David 
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

Re: The Truth About Synkinesis
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:10:42 pm »
I don't know what to say, David...Sorry just doesn't seem to suffice...your in my thoughts and prayers...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:23:09 pm »
David ~

That is a tough piece of news to have to deal with.  You know you have the support of everyone here and of course, our prayers for your physical and emotional healing. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:15:45 pm »
David, I am so sorry.  I do hope there will be other opportunities for you, career wise.  Writing, voice overs maybe.  I will be keeping you in my good thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

another NY postie

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:43:12 pm »
David,
I, too, am at a loss for words.  That is a bitter pill to swallow and I am so sorry that it affects your career so greatly.  I will be thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts and prayers as you digest this and begin to think about the next step.  Good luck!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 06:47:46 pm »
Thanks everyone.  As more doors close, the one that remains obviously open is writing.  I need to just accept the fact that I have a great opportnity that I've been avoiding for the last year -- although I did write an initial draft on my first screenplay this summer.  I liked writing it better than the final outcome.  And I started working on a second one with my college roommate -- after all these years. 

And Cheryl, if I'm not mistaken, I think we are getting together with you next week.  I need to check with Nancy -- she's the coordinator of these things.  Just so you know, it's going to be very hot (again) in LA during the first part of next week.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 06:57:09 pm »
David, you are an excellent writer and I encourage you to pursue that. (I should really be bugging my editor for another assignment. Unfortunately life keeps infringing on my writing time.)

On the other hand, might there be some other great roles out there involving your feet?

Take care. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

Sara

MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 08:57:24 pm »
David -

I'm sincerely sorry to hear this  :'(

As others have said, you are a very talented writer; when God closes a door, He opens a window.  ( I think I got that right, but regardless you know what I mean).

I'm confident the future holds great things for you; this is just another obstacle in your AN Journey, but you will overcome it.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

another NY postie

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 06:27:39 am »
Oh, goodie, David, I didn't know if I was going to see all of you!!!  Looking forward to it - and Nancy gave me her favorite weather site so I have been monitoring and can see it is still summer there!  Here we are already in fall...figure with AC on, it will still be chilly in hospital but will pack for summer for outings (if I get out!:)
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 06:34:22 am »
Oh David life sucks sometimes doesn't it? Plain and simple - sucks. You are down and think of the bright side up is the only way to go now!
I have enjoyed your writings so remember your talents don't just end with acting! Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is small but look closely it is there!
Hugs Michelle  :-*
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 08:29:51 am »
David,
You hate the truth just about as much as I do when I got this news. At least we can slowly begin to accept and move on which it sounds like we are both starting to do. No one likes to be lied to or have things candy coated when it comes to their health and expectations for recovery. It has been a LONG journey and I'm glad that I've had you to talk to on Facebook for support. You know I'm always here for you.
Talk to you soon.
Angie

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 01:25:10 pm »
Sending you a big hug, David.  Having seen some of your writing, though, I think you have a great career as a writer.  Do you know how good you are??

hugs,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 10:00:04 pm »
David:

That is a hard blow to take. Maybe putting acting behind you will allow you to give writing your all. I wish you the best.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 01:00:39 am »
David,

When I saw my 1st signs of synkenisis I knew that this was it – and that finding a neuromuscular facial retraining therapist would help me to “manage” this from getting worse …but there was not a complete cure. I have better control of my face and some things are staying re-wired but I will never have 100% symmetry or completely normal facial animation again. But similar to being a musician it takes regular practice to maintain this.

Please read this article again
http://www.ophth.wisc.edu/publications/fs_summer_04.pdf

Neuromuscular Retraining and Botox:
powerful pair in treating facial paralysis by Elizabeth Koenig

Quote from that article
“...After nine years of traveling to the Madison
clinics, Niesen says she will continue to make
the trip to see Diels and Dr. Lucarelli. “Jackie
and Dr.Lucarelli are a good team – they work
hand-in-hand to provide the best treatment
for my individual situation,” Niesen says.
Her treatment has allowed Niesen to continue
singing – but not in solo roles in musicals or
plays where all eyes would be on her. “I’m still
not able to show full emotion,” she says.
However, she does sing masterpieces with
the 150-member Dudley Birder Chorale, an
audition-only group in Green Bay that
performs at St.Norbert College in De Pere
and the Weidner Center in Green Bay. “My
appearance is much better and my face is
more relaxed since the Botox injections,”
Niesen says. “I feel grateful about how far
I’ve come.”■

The first day I could not form a proper embrasure to make a sound with my flute was devastating: …  :'(
•   â€¦ From there the 1st time I could not listen to my favorite concert pianist, Jon Kimura Parker, in stereo (only mono)
             I came home from his concert in absolute tears (well one eye teared anyway…  ::)  :-\ )
•   â€¦ Facial issues affecting my public speaking
•   â€¦ Balance in dance moves and the …hyperacusis interfering with all my performing arts abilities
•   â€¦ No directional sound to hear cue on stage or students asking me questions
•   â€¦ The list of CON’s goes on.

However I had a very good life in the arts  :)

Know that a NEW LIST is forming of PRO’s   :) … and I know that there are still other arts forms: visual, literary etc. that I can apply those skills to.  :) Before this whole AN journey I would never have guessed that I would so enjoy working in a library… as I was so busy performing I never actually had enough time to read … and writing … well that required too much quiet time. But you know I am discovering a whole new art form… and I actually like the quiet (ok ok I have hyperacusis to thank for that  ::) ) and I know my senses are so much more aware to other things and forms of expression.

It is important that you realistically grieve what you have lost but know that there is a whole other part to your acting experience that you can apply to other parts of your life …and yes even your career and vocation. After reading YOUR article in ANA Notes- I have no doubt that you are an accomplished writer ready to be more published… and yes even write screen plays if you choose.

Midlife career changes are not the end of the world… but they can be turbulent.

You are going to develop a new vocational side to you that you never perhaps realized you had. No one can strip you of what you have accomplished in your acting career before the tumor… You can apply that expertise to another art form. That creative and expressive side of you IS still there. You are just going to have to find new skills and a different media to express this.

You have every right to feel sad and grieve what you have lost. HUGS ...But know there is a new path you are going to explore that you never dreamed you would. Keep moving forward David… If you look back too much you will become sad and depressed about disabilities. Keep moving forward and find out what your other ABILITIES are.

Sincere HUGS. You ARE going to get through this and it is totally OK to express your frustrations here.

Another HUG.

Keep moving forward.

DHM

P.S. “Keep moving forward” comes from Meet the Robinsons

Lyrics to read as you listen to the music
http://www.lyricsmania.com/soundtracklyrics/meet_the_robinsons_soundtrack_lyrics_1137/little_wonders_rob_thomas_lyrics_17452.html
Here is the video clip on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsT2URr1Igc

PPS
Mayor Sam Sullivan of Vancouver BC Canada is a man who became a quadriplegic after an accident- before that accident he was a competitive skier. He sunk into a depression for a while there ...  until he realized he had other gifts. Believe-you-me he was very instrumental in getting the Winter Olympics to his city (and country) for this upcoming year.

Read his biography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Sullivan

Here is a famous CBC documentary video of him flying the Olympic flag and some background info...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3701104962090824149&ei=g8e1Sp5RhJyoA9SflYIC&q=mayor+of+vancouver+bc+winter+olympics&hl=en&client=safari#docid=2241261049386501040

Here is his website
http://www.samsullivan.ca/goal-arts

He has the ultimate “keep moving forward” spirit… doesn’t he? :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:23:06 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Chambo

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 04:34:45 am »
A few weeks ago, Angie posted a very frustrated comment.  Her PT informed her that synkinesis never goes away.  Here all this time, I thought the nerves would rewire themselves somehow and I would be normal again -- it would just take two years of PT and Botox.

So on Tuesday I asked my PT if it would go away.  I found out the ugly truth -- no it doesn't.  It's permanent.  It can only be managed with excersizes and Botox.  That signaled the end of my acting career.  That news culminated a pretty grim Summer of bad news and difficulties.  I'm looking forward to putting it all behind me.

David 

I don't know about that mate.  I saw my neurologist recently who administers my botox injections and he was amazed by the improvement in my synkinesis.  He said the involuntary movements in my neck and chin muscles were now pretty much non-existant.  I asked if this was because of the use of botox and he said may be but he wasn't sure.

Also, when i blink you can barely notice the twitch at the corner of my mouth - it used to tug/pull/jolt.  It's negligible now.

So don't lose hope.  And anyway, I'd back my world leading neurologist over a PT any day of the week!

I look forward to seeing you on the silver screen again in no time!

Your mate downunder,
Simon
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978