Author Topic: SSD/I-Pods  (Read 3357 times)

texsooner

SSD/I-Pods
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:17:29 am »
I was wondering if any of my SSD compadres here use an i-pod while doing physical activity like running outside. My kids think I'm the only one in the civilized world that doesn't have an i-pod and they have been wanting to give me one for a gift for sometime now. I have resisted getting an i-pod mainly for 2 reasons: first, I maybe wouldn't mind having one of the small ones to help me with my running(which I do a few times weekly, usually 3 to 6 mile runs), but my fear is that I wouldn't be able to hear anything around me and this could be dangerous. I do some road biking too, but would definitely never consider having the i-pod while doing this, as I have to communicate with others and be able to hear traffic coming up from behind.

The other reason I have resisted is that I'm very protective of my good hearing side, so I've been fearful that having music in the good ear, might damage the hearing somehow.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts and/or experience with this. Thanks

Patrick 
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

opp2

Re: SSD/I-Pods
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:07:22 am »
I don't use an Ipod or anything when I run. But as an aside, did you see the new BAHA has an Ipod adapter for the unit? How cool is that?
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:34:50 am »
Yep I have both even after having the same feelings you have. I tend to text more on the phone but I really need both things in my life. I was at a Phillies game the other night and the noise there was through the roof and I'm sure this was much more hazardous than your ipod or phone. Then I stopped at a local tavern afterwards and the music was so loud there too. Even with our best attempts we're gonna experience dangers to our hearing. Even the saging process slowly diminishes hearing. Smoking and high blood pressure not good either. We just cannot avoid everything. Play now and worry later are my feelings!

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 12:27:59 pm »
Patrick~
I use an Ipod but only in the gym - I couldn't use it if i was on the open road - I just don't think it is safe to plug up your one good ear - same reason why I would never want a blue tooth in my ear!!  Course, sometimes I WISH I could plug out the noise of 3 fighting girlies in the van!!

K    ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:34:20 pm »
I haven't run since I've become SSD (still talking about it, though  ::) ) but I have been walking.

I have an iPod but I don't use it when I walk.  I'm not concerned about my one good ear becoming damaged - if your iPod is at a reasonable volume, it's not an issue.  I'm more concerned about hearing what's coming up next to or behind me.  I feel using my iPod would make me less alert to the sounds I'd want to hear.

The iPod adapter for the BP100 (new Cochlear BAHA device) has wonderful sound - tried it at the symposium.  There is also an adapter for the Divino - and the Intenso - but it is quite costly so I never purchased one.

I have a mono-plug and a single ear phone from Radio Shack I use with my iPod (about $10 for both) and I have an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my car.  So, even if you choose not to exercise with an iPod - I say, let the kids buy you one, they are wonderful.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:41:52 pm »
I thought about this a lot while waiting for my surgery.  What I decided I would do is play the music out loud.  I'm running anyway, so I figure all anyone has to 'endure' if they don't like my choice of music is a few seconds (minutes? LOL).  I have an iPhone and you can play it out loud using the speaker instead of using the headset.  I use an arm band, and just point the speaker up towards my ear so that I can hear it (it's sufficient to hear but not in any way loud).

Turns out I managed to be one of the lucky ones and retain a lot of hearing, so I use my headset in my 'good' ear, and leave the other one dangling.  I have enough hearing in my bad ear to still hear things approaching.

Hope you figure something out.  It sure makes the time go by quickly when you're running along to music you love!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 11:39:43 pm »
I used to run all the time with an Ipod, and when I found out about my AN, I decided to stop using it. I realized I actually like it alot better minus the music. It's nice to hear the sounds of nature...who am I kidding, I live in the city, so all I hear is traffic but anyways...I'm not really a big music fan to begin with, so I don't miss it. (I am SSD, by the way). On a similar subject, when I was running with my friend, he mentioned that he was like, "why does he(me) keep looking all over the place at every intersection" and then remembered I was SSD. I am so paranoid about getting hit by a car. That is not how I want to go out.  ;)
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!