Author Topic: CT scan  (Read 4237 times)

tenai98

CT scan
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:30:10 am »
Well CT Scan over and done with....left home at 830pm and returned at 1230am....Appt was for 1040pm...plus it was my first night time driving....I aced it...at first I went below the posted speedl limit just to acclamatize myself again....so it took close to 2 hours to get there...should have only taken 1.5 hrs...but hey I did stop in at Timmies for a coffee...Cant drive by a tim's without stopping...And do you think I could sleep in after hitting the hay at 1am...nooooooooooooo....awake at 7am....And now its the coundtdown to Tues for the Baha surgery...yahoooooo
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: CT scan
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 12:46:25 pm »
JO ~

Congratulations on your successful driving adventure for the CT scan.  Why such a late appointment ?  Best wishes for your Tuesday BAHA surgery.  I'm sure it'll be easy for you.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 03:27:49 pm »
Well Jim, I"m not going to get u going on socialized health care....It was the only appt available...the CT scans runs 24/7....My cousin had his at 2am......so if one needs a scan, one better be prepared for late nights/early monrings....My MRI is due next month....waiting for the phone call for appt....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 03:42:26 pm »
Well Jim, I"m not going to get u going on socialized health care....

Thanks, Jo.  I don't need the aggravation.  Some of our Canadian member's experiences with 'socialized' heath care aren't exactly encouraging, to be polite about it.

It was the only appt available...the CT scans runs 24/7....My cousin had his at 2am......so if one needs a scan, one better be prepared for late nights/early mornings....My MRI is due next month....waiting for the phone call for appt....

Let's hope your MRI isn't scheduled for some absurd hour....and I hope your MRI report comes back boringly normal.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:45:05 pm »
Glad the scan is done and you're on your way to the first step in your BAHA adventure!

I can't believe how late your scan was!  I would have fallen asleep right there - they'd have to shove me onto the floor to make room for the next patient!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 09:04:54 pm »
Jo -

was your CT scan in preparation for your BAHA surgery, or was this just your routine, annual scan?

I've been fascinated by the different processes for your BAHA surgery vs what we in the States have experienced.

Good luck on Tuesday - did your kit arrive yet?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 05:38:54 am »
Jan
Its was for the Baha procedure...and no the kit has not arrived....hopefully on Monday....Canada post took away our saturday morning delivery......something I miss while living in Maine
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

Keeping Up

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:49:59 pm »
Good luck Jo

I follow all the Canadian stories very closely.  Not sure when I will need to make any decision (hearing aid pre-surgery seems the most likely at this point), but like to know the options available.

MRI times ... scheduled my January  scan (8.5 months) a few weeks ago, if no enhancement requirements (which, for whatever reason, I don't seem to need to see my little tumor), they only schedule the MRIs between 9pm and 6am.  Messed up the scheduling and took 9pm Friday night (stupid idea - I don't want to be out at 9pm on a Friday), so will reschedule for 6am sometime in February.  I don't mind - I am a 20 minute cab ride to any of the three MRI centres within my ENT's practice/IT network (or a 30 minute subway ride) - it works, it is free and no paperwork other than a little swipe of a hospital card.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

mk

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 10:46:53 am »
I think that the reasons for the odd times for MRIs at least in Toronto is that these clinics are offered at the Hospital, and the other slots are reserved for patients registered in the hospital.
I must say that all my MRIs here in Kingston were done at perfectly reasonable times during the day. And the wait times were not bad either (my first diagnostic MRI was done at about a month after getting the referral). My family doctor has pointed out to me that the trick is the urgency indicated in the referral paper.

Of course there are many complaints about the universal health care system, mostly justified, especially about wait times. But in all fairness, and without wanting to start a debate, I also wanted to point out that my family has used the health  care system quite a bit in recent years (two babies and their normal health issues, diabetic relative in need for expensive procedures and of course all this AN ordeal with MRIs, GK procedure etc., ), and not once have I seen a bill (except to upgrade from semi-private to private room after delivery), or have I had to sign a paper or get approval for anything. All I need to do is to show my health care card. It is important to criticize the bad aspects, but I think we should also acknowledge the good ones.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

tenai98

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 12:05:11 pm »
Marianna
the good at times out weighs the bad....like u said all we have to do is show are card....but when I was told by my ENTs' office that there was a 9 to 12 month wait for an MRI....I wasnt about to live for that lenght of time wondering if I had a brain tumor or not....so I went to a private clinic in Quebec and paid $945.00....that has been the only time I forked over money other then for my BAHA.  Shortly after I had my MRI (Aug), I received a call from the hospital to book an appt for the MRI. So overall, the length of time it would have taken to get an MRI (if I hadnt gone private) was four months....then when new symptons appeared, the ENT did in fact put an urgent request in for another MRI which I got in about 4 weeks and during the day....I've been told that if one doesnt need a contrast, be prepared to come in in the wee hours of the morning...I dont know how many MRI machines are available in Ottawa, Ont., but I had to go to another hospital to have in done
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7