Author Topic: 6 month post surgery update  (Read 5442 times)

joebloggs

6 month post surgery update
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:21:29 pm »
Hey there all you AN groovers,

Just thought I'd pop on to say hi.  Today is 6 months since my surgery.  Hurrah for that!  I just wanted to thank everyone for their support from when I was diagnosed to where I am now... what a much better place to be in now!

All still going well here - I've been back at work about 6 weeks full time and am back doing long hours and overtime and such.  I was really tired at first but I'm back into the swing of things now.  I'm doing a 20 mile walk in London next Friday night for charity - a little bit afraid because I haven't walked that far since my surgery - far from it actually - so it'll be interesting how far I'll get before I start weaving all over the place with tiredness!  Shall keep you posted!

Off to Belgium the following weekend for a bit of an adventure so that'll be fun too!

lots of love everyone
JB x
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 6 month post surgery update
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:02:26 pm »
JB ~

Thanks for that terrific update!  It's great to learn that you're doing so well, six months out.  Of course, I'm not surprised.  You're definitely a resilient gal and show a strong spirit. 

Best of luck on that 20 mile walk (for charity, I presume).  I'll bet you do better than you think you will.  You're becoming a roving ambassador for AN patient success.  ;)  Enjoy Belgium!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:45:09 pm »
Hey, JB, that's good news.  Post photos when you get a chance.  Will we see you in Edinburgh 21, 22, 23, or 24 October?  Dave and I'll be pulling an all-nighter with Mac in Edinburgh on the 24th if you'd like to join us after your wedding as our flight's at 6 am and Mac's headed to London for the Patriots game early on the 25th (American football). 
Then Dave and I have a layover at AMS for six hours.  Know any good restaurants in Amsterdam for lunch?
Hope to see ya,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:57:55 pm »
Hey!  Good to hear from you, JB, and to hear that life is getting back to "normal" for you!  Enjoy your Walk, you'll do just fine, I know!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 04:32:40 pm »
WALK ON JB ! !  Congrats on the 6 month milestone !   It only gets better,
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 07:58:20 am »
Good to hear from you!!!   Sounds like you're doing great and can't wait to hear about the 20 miles....it is always great to hear about post-op triumphs and to see that getting back full swing is absolutely possible!!!!!  Can you believe that it's just been 6 months? 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 09:49:32 am »
JB, so good to hear from you!  Congrats on your 6-months, sounds like you are doing famously.  Best wishes on your 20 miles in London, and traveling.  I've been in both London and Edinburgh and am jealous of your adventures.  Enjoy and keep in touch!
Anissa
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

joebloggs

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 01:24:16 pm »
Thanks for all your love gang, one sleep to the walk, am kacking my pants!  Can I do it?  Only one way to find out!!!  Have raised over £500 which is over US$800 so all good!  The event organisers called me up yesterday and asked that I get up on stage before all the participants and tell them my brain story and why I'm taking part and spur them on a bit, I said alright then, but now I'm thinking eeek, I have to get up in front of 2,000 people!  Holy cow!  I'm a little bit scared!  Will let you know how it goes!

lots of love

JB xx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 01:30:15 pm »
You're going to rock it, no worries ;)  Have a fun time!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 02:24:40 pm »
"Kacking your pants?"  That can't be good, whatever it is :D

You'll do great - speaking and walking!  Do let us know how it goes...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 03:01:51 pm »
Jo ~

I'm certain both the walk and the talk will go off just fine. 

In surveys, researchers have found that a majority of people fear public speaking more than they fear death.  I almost find that amusing - but quite possible.  I've read that imagining the audience are all in their underwear helps to minimize the fear of speaking to a crowd.  Hmmmm.   Perhaps just summoning up your innate chutzpah would be a better way to overcome any fear of talking to a big crowd of people.  ;)   Best of luck, Jo! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 06:01:42 am »
Great news, glad everything is going so well.  Please let us know how the speech went!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 07:31:55 pm »
Speech, speech!... ;D

Missed this one, glad to here everything going so well.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Keri

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 01:02:38 pm »
Hi JB,
Congrats on the 6 month anniversary and the 20 miler!
Nancy and JB - y'all are going to get together! That should be fun!
The Pats are playing in London? Regular season?
Like your new picture, Bob!
Thanks for letting us know about your progress, JB.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 03:10:46 pm »
Hi, Keri.
Pats are just exhibition.  Trying to recruit the rugby lads, I imagine.
JB and I are going to try to meet up on the 23rd in Edinburgh.  If we pull it off, plenty of stuffingourfaces photos will be shared.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness