Author Topic: Has anyone ever heard of Dr Derald Brackmann doing the retrosygmoid approach?  (Read 4302 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Has anyone ever heard of Dr Derald Brackmann doing the retrosygmoid approach?

Up until today I thought he ONLY did the middle fossa or translab approachs. When someone mentioned to me that they might be doing the retrosygmoid with him- I was… well surprised…  8) But truthfully I may not be in the know (and I am learning daily on this 2 year AN journey with my learning curve for neuro science going way up ::) )

Anyone else, here on the forum, know of Dr Brackmann doing the retrosygmoid approach?

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4uwk

Dr. Brackmann has been doing retrosigmoid for years.  He is just VERY particular about who he offers it to.  Usually if you have a tumor that is too large for middle fossa there is also enough hearing loss that translab is more appropriate.  He's also looking at facial nerve preservation.  You can't see a hearing loss but can see facial paralysis.  Talk to him.  He's very open to discussing all approaches and giving his reasons for/against each.  He's also working with a great neurosurgeon, Dr. Schwartz, who is open-minded and doesn't act like a "god" like some.  Good Luck.

(I did not have a tumor myself but have four friends who have had them and all of them eventually had surgery at House using all three approaches.)       

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Heads up …a follow up!

My buddy (whose name I withhold for privacy reasons) just had a very successful retrosygmoid sub occipital surgery with Dr Swartz and Dr. Brackmann @ HEI. So yes know Dr.B does not just do middle fossa and translab approaches but also SUCCESSFUL retrosygmoid approachs too!

It was a large whopper; 8 hours… smile remained perfect and minimal balance issues… We will not know the hearing results for a bit. Post op swelling needs to go down before they test hearing but this person “thinks” there is some hearing.

Obviously these two surgeons are a great team together!  :)

“If” I ever grow up  ;) :D … and I am in my 70’s I want to be just like Dr. B… totally spry, still practicing and doing my job not because it is my work … but because it is my passion and I love what I do- as Dr. B does.

I have been sooh worried about my ANA buddy this past summer… So many prayers have been answered this week. Good neuroscience knowledge, exceptional surgical skills plus experience… AND yes perhaps even some divine intervention was evident -to me anyway.

3 cheers for Dr. B’s longevity!!!

DHM

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:18:01 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!