Author Topic: Dr. Megerian University Hospital Cleveland, OH - AN Surgery  (Read 4851 times)

Dan T

• 34M, Diagnosed with AN 9/14/09 Size 5mm
Dr. Megerian University Hospital Cleveland, OH - AN Surgery
« on: September 20, 2009, 06:06:24 am »
I have my second appointment with Dr. Megerian in October.  So far I think he is wonderful. He explained that I will have hearing loss, but should keep all balance. He did not mention facial nerve troubles. After reading these forums the facial nerve is a real factor. Did any one use Dr. Megerian? What's your story. I am a 34 male with 5mm AN. I have hearing loss, pressure and buzzing in my left ear. My balance is off as well.  I work for the phone company climbing poles so i defiantly need my balance. That is why I decided for surgery. Thanks Dan...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Dr. Megerian University Hospital Cleveland, OH - AN Surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:43:56 am »
Dan -

check your other post - I gave you some info on others who have used Dr. Megerian

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10541.msg121568#msg121568

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 05:02:39 pm »
Dan I am a Dr Megerian fan! He did my 16 hour surgery 5 years ago with Dr. Selman and removed all of the AN. Your AN is very small, mine was 4 CM. If you are losing your hearing nerve, you will lose your balance nerve as well, however, the brain is a remarkable thing and the opposite balance nerve quickly compensates...quickly meaning weeks.

As for facial nerve troubles, it depends on the location of your tumor in proximity to the nerve. My AN was stuck to the facial nerve! Dr Megerian spent hours removing the tumor, cell by cell, to preserve my facial nerve. I do have some facial numbness and facial paralysis but people are always telling me they don't notice. (I do however).

I was 34 when I had my surgery AND my dad is a retired phone company man with some pole climbing in his history!

Welcome to our little exclusive club and feel free to pm me anytime!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

mwman

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »
Dan,

I too had the pleasure of Dr's Megerian and Selman at UH in Dec 2005. My 12 hour surgery went well. My balance was a little off for about 6-8 weeks but I was able to return to work 2 and 1/2 months after the operation. My work is 30 miles from my house and I had no problem with balance for the drive. To be honest with you, I came through the surgery with no significant complications. Dr. Megerian has often joked to me about being his poster child! I thank God and my doctors often for all that they did. If I had it all to do over again, I would choose the same path.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 05:18:28 pm by mwman »
2.5  cm translab Dec 2005
University Hospital Case Western Reserve Cleveland
Dr Megerian and Dr Selman