Author Topic: Other symptoms  (Read 3338 times)

aggie88

Other symptoms
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:07:53 am »
Chris,
My AN story is the same as everyone’s, it seems.  About 5 years ago I had hearing problem in my left ear that was diagnosed as an infection, due probably to some cold or something that I was having.  Steroids prescribed, no success in hearing problem.  Last summer I began experiencing a strange pressure in my face on the left side.  It got worse, but not extremely painful.  Just annoying.  About that same time I was diagnosed with breast cancer so most of my time was spent dealing with that.  However, the pressure/discomfort continued.  Because I was getting tested for various forms of cancer, we found that the pressure wasn’t from that, but I still didn’t know what was causing it.  I saw my neurologist (whom I had been seeing for several years due to migraines), he recommended an MRI where the AN was discovered.  It’s small, about one cm.  I've now had three MRIs, seen three separate doctors, had surgery and gamma knife recommended. 

My question, has anyone else had the problem with facial pressure, tingling, numbness, when their tumor was only 1 cm?  The doctors I have seen (in Miami) have said that the facial discomfort is probably not due to the AN because it is still so small.

Aggie88 in Miami

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Other symptoms
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 01:15:27 pm »
HI Aggie and welcome.

I think if you take a moment to read many of the posts here, you will find many that have experienced in the past, or... like me who also  has a 1cm left AN/pre-treatment (will have Cyberknife in 2 weeks).  Facial numbness on the side of the AN is a common symptoms. Ringing in the ears (tinnitus), balance issues, etc.  are all common symptoms. Of course, everyone is different as each AN is individual in their own right.

I can see that you have certainly had your fill of dr's and such and know that this is probably the last thing you need right now, but we're here for you, with wealth of info, smiles, hugs, etc.  Hoping if you roam the halls here that some of the questions you may have already have answers posted... and if not, ask away!  I still do! :)

Best wishes and again, welcome.
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kilroy1976

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 01:59:43 pm »
Just because a tumor is "small" doesn't mean that it isn't causing a particular symptom. All it has to do is press on the right thing and viola! Loss of hearing. Vertigo. Headaches. Or, what Bats calls "the Phantom" in your face.

Of course, there's no certainty that the AN is causing your facial discomfort, but if I were a doctor I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 10:57:32 pm »
Aggie who are you seeing in Miami?  Telischi and Marcos? 

I agree with Phyl and Kilroy everyone's symptoms are different and they don't know exactly where that sucker is touching so how can they judge.  I had a neruologist tell me after my surgery...that I didnt' need surgery, that an's didn't kill you that an's did cause headaches and I brought my problems on myself and to just take effexor and I"d be all better.  After looking at my mri she quickly changed her opinion.  My brain stem was shifted about 1/2 inch to the right and was twisting.  My surgeon told me they can't tell on the mri exactly what nerves are affected until they get in there.  I had massive headaches and have had migraines for years due to a car accident and neck damage.  These were different headaches and after starting decadron the pressure eased up and I could function normally again.  Telischi told me to take some tylenol as the headaches weren't an related.  He did offer me tylenol 3  lol

I know three people locally how had an's who's tumors were smaller than mine.  We all had different symtpoms one had the facial tingling and I think their tumor was 6 or 8 mm.  You know you the best...
We're here to help if we can...I'm post op with facial numbness and was told I was fine after surgery...hmmm define fine doc  lol