Author Topic: BrainPorters Wanted  (Read 1620 times)

LADavid

BrainPorters Wanted
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:51:56 pm »
I've written about this in the Balance Section, but I thought I'd post this here as well in case it was missed.  As many of you know, I am taking part in a balance research program called the BrainPort.  There were several links to the program that have been posted.

Since that time, I noticed that several of you had expressed an interest in taking part in the test.  I mentioned that to my PT.  She said she would be glad to take others into the test program through her office and that the BrainPort people are looking for more testers.  Here are the requirements you need to meet:

1  Documentation of a balance disorder (yeah they need it to be documented even though an AN should be enough) either through an ENG Caloric test or a Rotational Chair.

2  Treated by a PT for vestibular rehab and reached a plateau.

3  Ability to stand for 2 minutes

4  Dynamic gait of <20/24  ???

5  No history of seisures

6  No implanted medical device (pacemakers etc)

The initial part of the study requires three days training in the PT's office so that means for most of you, air and hotel travel.  Her office is in Garden Grove CA -- a block from the Crystal Cathedral and a mile from Disneyland.  There is no cost to you to participate in the study.  If you are interested, please feel free to PM me and I'll provide the contact information.

Have a great weekend.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: BrainPorters Wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:56:20 pm »
Hey “if” this is tied in with brainsport technologies
http://www.wicab.us/index.php
I AM interested. I would qualify … but I do not know what the “gait” thing is all about either  ???. Can you ask? What are the dates on this?

I had vestibular testing but no one here in the medical profession is taking me any where with this re: vestibular therapy etc. If I do not get a call from the neurologist, who sent me for vestibular testing, soon- I am very game to fly back to California again.

Although I am getting facial help here with my ocuplastics ophthalmologist (he is great and my only shining light in the long dark recovery tunnel) here in Oregon- all other Oregonian follow-up care and referrals are going at a snail’s pace- if not at all. David know you are so fortunate living close to all those medical resources in LA… and some days I just get jealous of that.

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!