Author Topic: Translab questions..  (Read 7357 times)

mellowrama

Translab questions..
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:22:37 am »
Some questions about Translab:

Is the skull piece of bone replaced on top of the fat/tissue?

I have a big problem with scarring called keloids, they can be painful and ugly.  Anyone have recommendations or special techniques used on their incision and or abdomen?
thanks, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Keri

Re: Translab questions..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 12:24:31 pm »
Hi Mellow,

I think they must put the skull back. When I touch my head I'm as hard headed as ever. I can feel my scar still (6 mths post) and it feels lumpy; hurts a little sometimes but not much.
I'm not familiar with the condition you mentioned, but hopefully someone will chime in.
Best to you,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Joe B

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 07:22:10 pm »
Melinda

I was told pre op that after the abdomen fat was put in, that the hole in the skull was going to be filled with some type of mesh and skull spackle. I don't know the official medical terms for either material, but that is the way the doctor explained it to me.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with keloids either.

Joe B.
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

moe

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:25:25 pm »
I would imagine Yes the skull piece is replaced. Never really thought of that question! I guess we would have a squishy spot in the head it if wasn't. But Joe B mentioned skull spackle and mesh-hmm interesting.......
I had translab and the incision goes around the back of the ear..I haven't noticed keloid formation on my incision.
 I guess it depends on how the incision healed.
Vit E oil rubbed into the incision will help prevent or even treat keloids. Only after the incision is completely healed of course. (couple of months).
As far as the piece of fat removed from the abd, I wish they would have taken lots more!
But alas, it was just a little portion, and that incision is barely noticeable, for me anyway.
So everyone is different, but that's my translab story.
Hope this helps!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:53:57 pm »
yes, I think I read that retrosigmoid replaces the skull piece, but not translab...that's why I'm confused.  Just another question for the doc to clarify.

I was thinking if they could take a bunch of fat from my belly that it might make things better! ;D
thanks for the feedback..m
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:23:24 pm »
The high speed drill that is used to cut through the skull bone destroys the bone.  In some surgeries, bone dust is a problem which later can be a culprit in causing headaches.  I learned this when I requested to "keep my skull bone."  I'm a science teacher.  We like things like that.  My surgeon explained that there would not be anything left of the skull bone after the drilling.  I requested to keep the tumor also, but was advised that the hospital no longer allowed "body parts" to be removed from the premises.  So he video taped the surgery for me to have instead just to humor me.  Anyway, there is no bone to go back in the skull.  I have a  slight depression behind my ear from my translab.  It's not as soft as it used to be, but you can definitely feel that something is missing. I have very short hair, and nothing is noticeable except maybe the tail end of my incision.  I figure that anyone who has to look that close to see my scar is probably another AN survivor anyway.  You know how you buy a certain car and all of a sudden you notice tons of them on the road?  When I go to the doctor I find myself looking for AN surgery scars on the other people in the waiting room.  Don't worry about the hole in your skull.  They'll patch you up like new.  Best wishes. 

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

mellowrama

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 04:47:21 am »
Hi Sue,

Ok, that all makes since to me now.  I should've figured that out watching the animations of the surgery ::)  And thanks for the information about the incision, I normally wear my hair short and have been wondering about the incision being an eyesore!

Got this off the SBI site...
http://www.skullbaseinstitute.com/video_library-traditional_translabyrinthine.htm

klangel

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 06:21:25 am »
HEY MELINDA, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS BUT I HAVE BEEN HAVING REAL BAD EYE ISSUES AND CANNOT SEE SO GOOD. I HAD THE TRANSL, 16 AND A HALF HOURS WORTH, BACK IN 2005. NO THEY DO NOT PUT YOUR SKULL PIECE BACK. IT IS DESTROYED BY THE GIANT DREMMEL TOOL THEY USE TO CUT IT OUT, THEY ARE NOW MORE CAREFUL ABOUT VACCUUMING THE BONE DUST WHICH LEADS TO THE CHRONIC HEADACHES SO MANY OF US EXPERIENCE POST SURGERY.YOU WILL HAVE A DEPRESSION BEHIOND THE EAR WHERE THERE IS NO BONE BUT IT DOESNT SHOW. JUST BE VERY SURE THAT WHEN YOU HAVE THE STITCHES OUT THAT THE GET THEM ALL. I ALSO HAVE SOME PROBLEMS WITH SCARRING AND A COUPLE OF STITCHES GOT LEFT BEHIND ACCIDENTALY . THEY COVERED OVER NICELY BUT EVEN AFTER 4 YEARS ARE STILL TRYING LIKE MAD TO WORK THEIR WAY OUT SO I HAVE CONTINUAL IRRITATION AND OCCASIONAL BLEEDING AND SCABBING IN THAT AREA OF THE SCAR. AS FOR THE BELLY, WHERE THEY TAKE THE FAT TO STUFF YOU UP, I WOULD TREAT THE SCAR WITH MEDERMA OR ANOTHER OF THOSE NEW SCAR REDUCTION PRODUCTS. THEY REALLY WORK AND WILL PROBABLY BE GOOD TO REDUCE THE CHANCE OF KEILOIDS  BY MINIMIZING THE SCAR TO NEARLY NOTHING. I ALSO WEAR MY HAIR SHORT AND MY SCAR ON THE HEAD DOES NOT SHOW UNLESS I SHOW IT SO NO WORRIES THERE. WHEN IS YOUR TRANSLAB SCHEDULED FOR? I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU THAT ALL GOES WELL.   KERRI ;)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 01:43:58 pm »
Melinda,
I just read your post and the answers you have gotten so far.  All are very interesting.  My translab was four years ago today.  I have what I call a crater behind my ear and it is still very tender.  The area around it is numb as is the rest of that side of my head.  I think even with translab, it depends on the surgeon what you are going to come out with.  They seems to have a different approach and technique.  The dent or crater difference may be because of the size of the AN.  Mine was 3.5 cm.  My doctors were not forthcoming with answers to my questions.  I felt like they were telling me what I didn't know shouldn't bother me!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

epodjn

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 04:38:56 pm »
Brenda,
Maybe we had the same docs, haha. I felt the same way. They were not very imformative and didn't seem very happy about ANY questions, just be a good patient and shut up. I had a 3.2 tumor and I have a crater also. I didn't get it until about 3 months post op. It kind of scared me. When I asked about it all I was told was "That happens sometimes". Great answer huh?
Anyway, the resident that assisted finally told me the bone was not replaced and they used titanium mess to patch up the whole. But now I'm 8months out and it seems to be pretty firm.
As for the fat being removed. I just wish it was from both sides. I look kind of lopsided. I also have what someone else referred to as a "muffin top" type scar. Not real pretty.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 07:37:44 pm »
Melinda, I watched the animated video clip that you attached.  The general idea is there with 8-16 hours of details omitted.  My video of my tumor removal is pretty cool but does not include the drilling through the skull.   Some people think that's gross, but I see it as fascinating.  The one word that keeps popping up in my head (no pun intended) is surreal.  There is a lot of cutting and snipping and pulling/tugging.  I watch the video and just can't grasp the idea that it's the inside of my head. 

Apparently there are others who also have the depression, or crater as some called it, from the translab.  I've grown rather fond of mine.  Yes, it's tender sometimes and occasionally has a sharp pain or two.  To me, it's a reminder of my good fortune in beating this thing.  Yes, the surgeons are certainly different and elicit different results from their work.  But all patients have the right to be heard and be informed.  We all have to be our own advocates when it comes to health care.   Write down your questions for the doctors and don't settle for anything less than what you want to know.  You deserve the best.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

OTO

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 08:34:13 pm »
RE: keloid.   Somewhere on the forum someone started a post on this topic.  I think there were suggestions for using Vitamin E or some other kinds of lotion on the scar to prevent keloids.   Also someone said if you rub or massage the area it helps to prevent keloid.  I occassionally rub the incision scar on my stomach and it seems to be fading.   

mellowrama

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:44:53 am »
wow, you guys are great!  Answers all my questions I can think of ....and making sure all the stitches are removed and using merderma good ideas Kerri!
Maybe I can get the docs to get the fat off both sides if I'm lucky!

thanks all, melinda

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 06:20:56 pm »
Hi Melinda-

The skull vs mesh issue seems to be at the discretion and preference of the surgeons.  I'd ask you primary surgeon what they do to "patch up the hole".  Mine bolted the skull back on w/titanium plates and bolts. Even with that and the fat graft, I have a big crater behind my ear.  Not visible though, so not a big deal (although I usually DO try to warn the shampoo girl at the salon so that she doesn't get freaked out!)

Debbi, just call me crater-head

Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

mellowrama

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 10:47:15 pm »
I'll ask my docs about the plate.
That is something to think about the next time I go to the hair salon ;)  I think I'm gonna be growing it out for a while..
thanks, m