Author Topic: Finally some movement!!  (Read 8176 times)

Lyssa

Finally some movement!!
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:01:28 am »
OK so it isn't much, but last night while I was waiting for my husband to finish brushing is teeth, I was staring at myself in the mirror. I covered up the "good" side of my mouth and tried to smile. I try this pretty much every day, but every other day nothing happens. But last night I got the faintest movement in the corner of my mouth on the paralyzed side!! It's barely noticeable, but it's there and as you all know that is immensely encouraging when one side of my face has had zero movement for 5.5 months! Now all I want to do is sit in front of the mirror and practice smiling... my whole way to work this morning, at every red light I flipped down the mirror in the visor and watched my "bad" side moving!

Yessss I finally feel like I'm getting back on track, what an awesome Monday morning!
26 yrs old.
Diagnosed Oct. 2008 with 2cm right-sided AN
Translab surgery Feb. 9/09 at Sunnybrook in Toronto
SSD & right-sided facial paralysis, nerve still intact and fingers crossed :D

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Finally some movement!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:25:43 am »
That's great news, Lyssa. Here's to more movement!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:33 am »
Hurray for you, Lyssa!!!  There is a small group of people in this world that know how significicant such a small movement is and we are in that group!  Here's to continued movement.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:02:56 am »
Yay!  I remember that moment.  :-D

V

Joe B

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:43:57 am »
congrats Lyssa!! I hope it keeps progressing for you. I watch mine on a daily basis also. I also cover up the good side and actually hold it in place to make sure it's not helping out the weak side :-\. The progress is hard to see watching it on a daily basis, but I check it anyway. Hope your "bad" side turns to "good"!! :)

Joe
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:22:44 pm »
Lyssa ~

Splendid news!  This kind of not-so-small victory can bring much joy.  Please accept both my congratulations and hope that you'll have many more such 'small victories' in the weeks to come.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:38:35 pm »
Lyssa -

Wonderful news!!  And, yes, I remember, like it was yesterday, that first little movement.  Mine was the little muscle just under the eye and I was so proud of it!  It took another month or so before I got a little movement at the corner of my mouth - and now, I've got a whole smile (albeit it slightly lopsided!)

Celebrate the movement and share your next victory with us, okay?

Debbi, smiling at you from NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 08:09:59 pm »
Yeah Lysaa,
That is sooooooo great, I know the feeling well. It is so awesome for you, keep us posted.
I too had my surgery in Toronto.
Michelle ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:39:24 pm »
it is monday and we are all having monday blues.....except for you!!! woohooo!!! congrats!!!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

m4guzman

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 08:53:42 am »
ME TOO!!!!!   I had surgery on 6/15  and this last Monday I woke up with a tiny tiny movement in my upper lip!!!!
So Happy.  Not only that, I had a dr appoinment yesterday so when he saw it, it said that this was just the beginning.  He said that is should go a little faster now. YES!  I can not stop looking in the mirror to make sure it is still there.
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 12:39:27 pm »
MaryBeth ~

Although this may technically be termed a thread hijack, I just have to offer congratulations to you, too!  What a great week for facial paralysis patients regaining some movement.  May it continue, full speed ahead!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 10:25:21 pm »
Congrats....i'm still waiting...somewaht patiently. i'm 5 weeks out from surgery and hoping for something to happen soon. I'm just concerned about my eye. I just want to be able to close it tightly so it doesn't get injured in a wipeout surfing.... ;)...Hehe...just noticed the smiley face I chose can't close its left eye either.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Lyssa

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:46 pm »
I can not stop looking in the mirror to make sure it is still there.

I know what you mean! I've had so many recurring dreams of my face being back to "normal" or at least moving, that I almost couldn't believe it when I actually say a little movement :D
26 yrs old.
Diagnosed Oct. 2008 with 2cm right-sided AN
Translab surgery Feb. 9/09 at Sunnybrook in Toronto
SSD & right-sided facial paralysis, nerve still intact and fingers crossed :D

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 04:08:19 pm »
I remember those dreams -- I would wake up so excited and then be so dejected when I realized it was only a dream. I don't know whether time or recovery is behind it -- maybe both -- but I haven't had one in quite a while.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

epodjn

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 04:49:40 pm »
Congrats!!! Isn't it a great feeling. Mine just started about a month ago. I now have not only a little smile but also my old laugh lines are coming back. I hever thought I would be so happy to see laugh lines!! It's slow but it's happening for a lot of us lately! So exciting, at least to us. And to my family. I didn't say anything to them when I first noticed it. My daughter in law has been out of town so I haven't seen her for a few weeks. She came over this week and got so excited when she looked at me and saw it. It probably sounds dumb to others but it sure makes you feel good when someone else notices. I guess it just makes it more real.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!