Author Topic: I may have my surgery cancelled  (Read 8813 times)

TxNurseNoelle

I may have my surgery cancelled
« on: July 09, 2009, 08:00:55 pm »
I got a call this afternoon at work from the surgery coordinator, I went this morning for my EKG, well it shows i had a Myocardial Infarction of undetermined age..I was floored! now i need to see a Cardiologist to get clearance for surgery..Im still in shock, what a year this has been, Im shaking my head in disbelief...I doubt I will sleep tonite, waiting for a call from Cardio office..will keep you posted..

lori67

Re: I may have my surgery cancelled
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:05:19 pm »
Wow, when it rains, it pours, huh?

I hope everything works out okay.  Do you think you might have had the MI about the time they told you about the AN?  I know I almost did!   ;)

I hope you get good news from the cardiologist.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:20:28 pm »
OH MY GOODNESS!

WOW!  I can't even believe this...I'm so sorry!  Keep us posted.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:30:52 am »
Oh my goodness.  Since you didn't know it happened, I guess this is what they call a "silent heart attack"  It sounds like you're having quite a year, but in a way,the AN may have saved you future trouble with your heart, since testing alerted you to a potential problem.  I hope everything is okay though and the cardiologist clears you for surgery.  Keep us posted.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

kenneth_k

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:15:55 am »
Not so good news I guess. I hope all goes weel.
I have had an EKG taken more than 15 times during routine check-ups. At least 5 of them showed something out of order, including possible heart attack. However, all of them were false alarms. But I empathize, they can be quite disturbing. Especially in the situation you are in.

Regards, Kenneth

TxNurseNoelle

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 06:22:27 am »
Well I hardly slept at all last night will call this am to see what is going on and praying it was an EKG error, reading all your thoughts and concerns has been a blessing to me thank you to everyone this forum has really helped me..hugs to all

Keri

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:03:05 am »
Hi Noelle,
I'm really sorry about this too. I hope you find out something soon and that it's not bad news.
My youngest daughter is named Noelle - a very pretty name!
Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:34:29 am »
Noelle ~

I was dismayed to learn of the possible MI that was discovered as you underwent your EKG in preparation for your scheduled AN surgery.  This is certainly a shock.  We all know that once you make that surgery decision and get psyched up for it, this kind of thing can be - understandably - upsetting.  Besides, who needs heart problems?  Although, as Wendy noted, the abnormality shown on your EKG could have the effect of saving you future heart problems as whatever the cause of the MI, it can be addressed, now, before anything more occurs.  Of course, a false EKG reading would be extremely welcome and I hope and will pray that this is what happens. 

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 09:36:18 am »
Noelle,
Hopefully you got some answers today. If it does indeed so show some old infarct, at least you know this before brain surgery and not during brain surgery. :o
Hang in there....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 09:56:49 am »
Noelle .....

What a bummer!  Just when you were all psyched up for the AN surgery, this happens.  Like the others have said if you indeed do have a heart issue, it is much better to find out about it and fix it now before surgery.

Not the same thing ..... but I had a positive stress test during which the cardiologist was certain beyond a doubt that I had a blockage ...... endured a heart catheterization and my heart and vessels were perfectly normal and healthy.  Let's pray that your situation is also a false alarm!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cynaburst

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 09:55:59 pm »
I just wanted to tell you that I have a hereditary heart condition called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, and in people who have HCM, their EKG often reads as if they have had a heart attack when they haven't.  I don't know what they will tell you, but they should as a next step schedule an echocardiogram, or ultrasound of your heart to check for thickening of your left ventricle.

If you have any thickening, HCM is a possibility.

You can visit the website of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association to learn more:  www.4HCM.org

By the way, I had an AN as well, and had a 7 hour retrosigmoid surgery to remove my  3+ cm AN over 7 years ago.  I had been diagnosed with HCM at the time, and it was no problem.  I just needed cardio clearance before the surgery and the anesthesiologist has to monitor you a little more closely.

So, sorry to hear about your wrinkle, but it could all be totally treatable.

TxNurseNoelle

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 10:15:43 pm »
Well I went to the cardiologist today and I was cleared for the surgery! Looks like all things are a go for July 24th, I am soo happy I am ok cardio wise, I havent even given the surgery much thought since Thursday when all of this happened. I had a HUGE headache tonite, too  many emotions all at once I guess..anyway now I can focus on the task at hand and get through this next obstacle, I have been comforted by all of the good thoughts that came my way, you have no idea how grateful I am for all of you! Thank you soooooo much...

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 10:47:10 pm »
Noelle, that is totally excellently double good news!

Now all you have left is a little bit of brain surgery, and you will be good to go.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 07:52:02 am »
Noelle,

So glad to hear everything is okay with regard to your heart.  With your surgery now just days away, I'm sure you've got a million things to do.  These scares make us really put things in perspective.  As for your "little bit of brain surgery," you will get through this.  Is someone posting for you after surgery?

Best wishes,
Wendy

Steve -- You are too funny!!
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 08:49:45 am »
Great News!  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!