Author Topic: Drumroll please...It's me, Darin!  (Read 8436 times)

Darin

• The Running Tumor
Drumroll please...It's me, Darin!
« on: July 06, 2009, 06:13:00 pm »
(I decided to create a new topic, if I should continue the same topic, let me know. I thought it'd be less confusing this way.)
Whoa. What a ride! I am really glad my fam was able to post for me, as the last 6 days are kind of a scary, messy blur. I haven't been able to sleep really at all in the PM, so all the days are just a big long blob. It's like just some long, spacious time period of being in the hospital. This is day number 6. Amazingly, dizzeness was not the biggest issue. I would say physical fatigue, and the mental/emotional aspect of 'feeling' like you're never going to recover is. Sitting in the dark, at night, with a sore body, not sleeping, and a loud, puking roommate for 3 nights post op sucks. Sucks bad.
I am starting a petition on moving F3D to F5D. I ate eggs for breakfast on day 5, helped with a shower, and when I thought I turned the corner, my body had other plans. My roommate and I had a friendly vomit competition. Yet, about 36 hours later, I feel amazing. I went for 4 walks today, plus some phyiscal therapy. I was EXHAUSTED after the AM busyness. I had a PT visit, OT visit, a walk, 1st bowel movement(yay!),a speech theripist visit, PA visit all before lunch!
Well, this is my first online venture, and my eyes are getting tired. There have been some unforseen compliciations. I was on a only-thickened beverege diet for a day, due to weak swallowing. My voice is weak still, but am tiny improvements I think today. It's above a whisper now, which is helpful. But my eyes are still getting tired. so i gotta go.
Thanks everybody so much for commenting/praying/discussing etc. It is great. - Darin
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Drumroll please...It's me, Darin!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 06:42:04 pm »
Darin,

Welcome to Postiehood! You've done it! :)  Please get well soon and take it easy... "day by day, inch by inch...."

Great to hear from you! Get some rest!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wcrimi

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:09:01 pm »
I don't know what to say other than Congratulations! 

You'll probably start feeling better quickly.  There is usually rapid improvement in several areas in the first few weeks.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:12:44 pm »
OK, Darin ......

You are now a Postie and you have turned that awful corner of the F3D (F5D????).  Now you should see slow but steady improvement.  Welcome back to the land of human beings!!!

Keep us updated and we hope for your homegoing shortly ..... then you should see a burst of improvement, just getting home.

Prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cin605

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 08:36:33 pm »
congrats! ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:57 pm »
Darin,

Sorry about the unforeseen complications, but you do sound good.  Rest, heal and listen to your body and don't overdo.  I hope you are feeling even better soon.  As Wayne said, the first few weeks, you'll make amazing progress, especially if you dont try to push too hard.

Sending healing vibes your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

moe

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:31:54 pm »
Darin,
Funny story about the vomit competition! Ughhhh :(
I like your sense of humor.
You are doing fab= on the computer already.
So the f 5D don't count...
Interesting how we all have our own little stories to tell.
Take it easy, listen to your body. It'll tell you when you are overdoing it.
U R doing GRRREEEAT!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

alwaysthere

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 01:46:52 am »
Darin,

Welcome back, I am now 12 days out and can say that I really feel good. Yes, the exhaustion comes on fairly quick and you just stop whatever it is you are doing and rest. Had alittle sit back over the weekend with a case of Bell's Palsey. It does get better. I feel for you and the sickness. I had more dry heaves than vomitting,only because there was nothing in my stomach to come up. Now though that is behind me. My taste buds are still really messed up and nothing taste like I know it should. Sucks, whne something really sounds good and you know how it should taste and you put that first bite into your mouth and wham that's over.

Hang in there, everyday is an improvement. They told me to walk, walk, walk, I do and I'm a bad drunk. A friend says I need to give leasons on how to walk drunk without the need to drink. That's an idea.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 05:28:56 am »
Welcome to postieland. I myself am 3 month in postieland.  As others have said b4, rest walk, rest and more rest....it take time. For me it was the first two days...but no vomiting....no headaches, ....no double vision....No medication other than reg tylenol, but let me tell ya , I felt like my body was weighted down by cement blocks...HHHMmmm I dont think the mafia is after me...lol Again welcome to postieland...it gets better  day by day
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:09:22 am »
Darin -

glad to have you back.  You've been through quite a bit, but sound like you're moving in the right direction.

I went through the whole nausea/puking thing for 6 days, but had forgotten about the voice "issues".  I didn't sound weak, but did a great imitation (unintended) of Mickey Mouse for 4 or 5 days.  While I was frustrated by this, my family found it highly amusing - which, truth be told - helped me a lot.  Sometimes finding humor in recovery is a great thing  ;D

I found that I made progress, though sometimes very small, each and every day post op - and after I was released from the hospital, the progress got better.  Sometimes it will be two steps foward and one step back, but you'll get there.  Patience!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 07:17:32 am »
Great news Darin!
I can hardly believe you are posting after 6 days, I am pretty sure I felt like crap and the last thing I could do was post- good for you.
Each day gets better.
Michelle ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Lilan

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 07:30:45 am »
I had F4D -- then improvement was rapid, not even every day but every 12 hours. You'll have the same now, I'm sure! Welcome back!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Keri

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 07:41:56 am »
Hi Darin,
So glad you're home and done with the not so fun roomate situation!
I think when you can start walking a bit and getting out (but still resting) things really do start to look up.
Your family did a great job posting!

Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Joe B

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 02:04:25 pm »
Hey Darin

Congrats!!! Sorry to hear about the complications (and the barfathon with your roomate) but it sounds like you are on schedule with most issues. I am now just past 1 month postie.  I certainly didn't feel like going on the computer after just 6 days...that's awesome. My B.M. issues lasted about 2 days longer than yours did also. Things will slowly, but surely get better for you. I didn't get my voice back or even feel like talking to anybody until day 8 or 9. Also, keep up the walks. I started walking as early and often as possible and at the 1 month mark I took a 4 mile walk (had to shorten it a little the next day as my quads were a bit sore). :P

Good to hear from you

Joe
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 02:07:58 pm »
Hi, Darin ~

It's always great to see the first post from a AN surgical patient that is starting the recovery process.  Welcome back 'postie'. 

Although you've had a few bumps in the old recovery road, you seem to be in good spirits.  That's a positive sign!  I recall (from 3 years ago) how the time spent in the hospital seems surreal.  The wild swings of feeling great and feeling awful are not uncommon as your body adjusts and starts to recuperate from what was pretty serious surgery that is traumatic to your body.  Believe us, it really does get better.  Honest.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.