Author Topic: Drumroll please...It's me, Darin!  (Read 8438 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Re: Drumroll please...It's me, Darin!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 10:02:12 am »
You sound great!  Glad to hear it.  Welcome to the "other side". :-)
I'm 6 weeks out now, and feel pretty darn good!  The fullness in my ear lasted about 4 weeks (kept wondering if it would subside.  It does, but it just takes time!)

Hope your healing continues to go well!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 07:47:43 pm »
Glad to hear things are going well. Sounds like we might have had the same roommate...but I just plugged the good ear and slept... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 11:11:18 am »
I've made it to day 2 at home, day 9 overall. It was funny reading what I posted a 3 days ago, because I 'foggily' remember posting something. I'm surprised it was spelled mostly correct! My mom made me blueberry pancakes today for breakfast at 11AM. I could definetly get used to someone making me breakfast at lunchtime  ;)
It difficult to get comfortable at night, my neck muscles are so sore from the incision, not moving etc. It's really difficult to move my head left to right, and up to down. I like moving my legs and arms, but not my head!
Like Lilan said, it's amazing the progress you can make in not just a day, but 12 hours. From just post-breakfast to post-dinner the same day there seems to be things that are more manageable. I'm walking (slowly) around the house today without a cane! That is incredible to me, considering 4 days ago I was shuffling along with a walker at the hospital. It really seems unreal.
The big post-op issue for me is facial paralyis. Both doctors told me the nerve responded 'extremely well' to stimulation right before they closed me up during surgery. They said it must be due to the swelling, but they are really surprised that it's as severe as it is. I have no movement on AN side, and I keep my eye lubed up at night, and have the pirate patch for night, and sometimes during the day. The eyelid almost closes, but it stings when I take a shower, so I know there is some sort of a gap.
I don't have a certain 'date' to be back at work by, I left it open ended. That is a huge help, not having to stress about that. All things considered, I am very blessed and happy things turned out the way they did. CT scan showed no tumor left as well!!! When my dad drove me home from the hospital, I stuck my arm out the window like I was a little kid flying. It was so incredible. It's like the feeling you get when you take a really long road trip, and you finally get home, except multiply it by a couple million times. Talk to you soon - Darin

3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 11:25:41 am »
Darin .....

So glad you are home and doing very well.  Little by little, step by step .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wcrimi

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 02:09:00 pm »
Sounds great Darin. Believe me, it keeps getting better as time passes.  ;)
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Joe B

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 02:19:47 pm »
Darin

Glad to hear everything is going well for you.

Your paragraph on the facial paralysis/eye issues could be cut out and pasted under my name. Everything you experienced, so did I, right down to the pirate patch(I used it from time to time for the first week and a half). The only difference is that my doctors told me pre op that I would have the facial paralysis for 6 months to a year. Of course everyone progresses at a different pace, but I am optimisic because I started to get the slightest movement around the corner of my mouth at 3 weeks post op, and it seems to be improving slightly day to day.

Also, there is a lot of info under the 'eye issues' and 'facial issues' sections under the ANA discussion forum.

Milk those breakfasts for as long as you can  ;D(mine stopped coming after 2 1/2 weeks).

keep up the progress.

Joe

2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

Keri

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 05:09:05 pm »
Ditto on the ditto Joe said... i too had a facial nerve that 'responded well to stimulation' then decided to take a break and do nothing after surgery. I didn't expect the facial / eye issues at all. I've found a lot of help int he eye issues / facial issues section. Because of the lube, ointment and all that, I haven't done the taping thing with my eye. And now (5 mths post) it's closing more. It tears on its own as well (it just starts tearing sometimes when i eat) so i guess it's keeping itself somewhat moisturized, so i don't have to put drops or gel in as much. my mouth still feels weird, but to most people now, my smile looks pretty normal.
I'm glad you're improving. Blueberry pancakes sound great! That certainly must help!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 06:09:21 pm »
Hi Darin,
Scary stuff eh? Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Keri had good advice a lot of great reading on the facial area if this site. Ask lots of questions no sense reinventing the wheel we are here for you.
Welcome to the other side, feels great to move forward and appreciate all life has to offer.
Michelle ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

cin605

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 03:58:08 pm »
Hi Darin...Glad to hear you are doing well.....did you read the post from your brother in-law about you waking up n rubbing your fingers together by your ears....i really had a good laugh...becouse he was oblivious to what you were doin.
Baby shampoo will help w/ the stinging of your eye in the shower. :)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 05:21:08 pm »
Hi Darin,
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but I know you said you eye stung in the shower. I use swimming goggles and they work great!
I have also stuck foam on my sunglasses (see eyewear). This gaget has helped me return to my regular activities outside without any worry of my eye.
Michelle ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 08:52:09 pm »
Hey Joe - When I went to the grocery store for the first time today, I purchased some of my own pancake mix, anticipating the day when the offers stop. Thanks for the heads up.

Cin605 - That was really funny reading about my impromptu hearing test in ICU. Once I read about it, I do remember doing it! I remember being unsure of the results though. Funny, funny stuff though. My whole family had a good belly laugh.

Mimoore - I actually tried my swimming goggles out. It's so tight on my incision, but I think it'll work better when the scar continues to heal. Baby shampoo is something I'll have to get though. 'Garnier' is just too tough.

I went out for lunch for the first time, it felt SO nice to look at a menu and enter civilization again. I had a burrito and took FOREVER to eat it in tiny bites, but I was in no hurry. It's not like my couch has loneliness issues or something. I walked back and forth on my ten foot long deck about twenty times today, tomorrow I think I'll try the sidewalk! Going thru learning how to walk again really makes you appreciate the little things! Bye for now - Darin
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Darren

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 07:21:16 pm »
Darin- Nice name.  I just recovered from AN surgery(right side 3.3 cm)- almost 2 months post op. I just turned 29 yrs old.  I too have facial palsie on my AN side- HB grade 5 I believe.  Life is normal now outside of the palsie- I drink and party and get wasted just like b4 ;D  My doc's told me 6-12 months to recover since my nerve was intact and had some stimulation but not much after surgery... I can move my AN eye brown down but not up and can also close my eye with effort- I know what your going through.

Darren