Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82265 times)

Cheryl R

Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #375 on: July 10, 2008, 08:26:23 am »
The 2009 symposium is in Chicago at the Drake Hotel.     August 14th-16th.        The hotels in the past have given a sympsoium rate and even for a few extra days so one can sightsee also.         They did run out of room at the Disney World Resort so some had to stay at another resort so isn't good to wait till real late to make reservations.                 This won't be available until the start of next year though.     There is an event organizer who does the set up of all that goes on.      The website here and the newsletter will have the scheduling and registration.       
                                                    Cheryl R 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #376 on: July 10, 2008, 08:57:27 am »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #377 on: July 10, 2008, 09:07:03 am »
Wendy, you should be able to score some tape and maybe even some gauze - at NYU they were tossing the stuff around like Mardi Gras beads.  Had I only know, I would have scored big!

Pooter, you'd better come back soon - a bunch of crazy ANers have hijacked your thread.  Not me, of course...

Thanks for the symposium info, DHM and Cheryl. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #378 on: July 10, 2008, 06:42:23 pm »
HEY!  I've been hijacked!  Heh.  It feels, um.. kinda good.  ;)

Sorry I've been gone.  I actually went to the office for a few hours today (about 6.5) and it felt good for me.  I actually drove there and everything!  Of course, I had my trusty sidekick with me, but I did the driving.  It all isn't back to "normal" again yet, but it's getting there slowly.  I felt good today (after getting into something bad yesterday) and it was good to be back at the office.  I have a couple of security audits over the next few months to do along with my other dutues, and we've lost about 25% of our workforce, but things are getting back to "normal" again.  No headaches, no fever, just your typical healing stuff today.

So, Drake Hotel next summer, eh?  Phyl's giving away free beer and free rides on the moderator jet, very cool!  Does it get any better than that?!? ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #379 on: July 10, 2008, 07:28:30 pm »
Hi, Pooter

Glad to see life is getting back to normal. How are you with your dizzyness and balance at this point?

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #380 on: July 10, 2008, 07:53:19 pm »
Syl,

Dizzyness and balance isn't really a factor for me, per se...  I'm still a bit "off" but it's about is to be expected, however.  I seem to be unsteadier at night or dimly lit places but it keeps getting better and I expect it to be even better in time and more practice.  I rarely, if ever, get dizzy.  I'm still just a bit off.  If that makes sense.

Thanks for asking..

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #381 on: July 10, 2008, 08:46:56 pm »
HEY!  I've been hijacked!  Heh.  It feels, um.. kinda good.  ;)

So, Drake Hotel next summer, eh?  Phyl's giving away free beer and free rides on the moderator jet, very cool!  Does it get any better than that?!? ;)

Brian

Another hijack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Um, giving away free beer and ride on the Mod Leer Jet?  Any better than that? Um, YUH!!!!!!!!!!!  If someone actually has money to pay for it!!! Doh! :)

You went to the office today, my Pooter!  Good for you!  A bit of "normalcy" back in your life! I love to hear it! Good for you!  Say hi to your "sidekick" for me too, ok? :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2008, 11:28:28 pm »
Heh..I was wondering when you'd respond to the free beer and ride comment.  Darn the luck, I guess.  I suppose I need to hit up the other multi-millionaire mods eh??  I can see how royalty has spoiled you, Phyl.  Perhaps they won't be so jaded yet.  ;)

Yeah, I went to the office for a bit.  It was a bit of "normalcy" for me amidst something so abnormal that we all share.  I can't say it's all "normal" yet, but I'm only a couple of months post-op so I can't expect the world yet.  But, its another step in the right direction, for sure..  Everyone keeps saying "journey" and that's truly apt for what all this has been.  From diagnosis to surgery to recovery and all the bumps along the way, it's been (and continues to be) a journey.  One step at a time.  We all have our own "journey" through this with our own bumps along the way, but it's a journey best taken with everyone cheering you on to be sure.  My hat's off to these people and this website for providing that.

Now, about that free beer and free ride on the Leer..  ;)

Brian *parachutes off soapbox*

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #383 on: July 11, 2008, 06:13:02 am »
hoping you don't have wonky head during that parachute jump off the soapbox, dear Pooter! ;)

free ride on the Leer?  I guess I haven't slipped you the $10 behind my back recently, eh? ;)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #384 on: July 11, 2008, 09:10:08 am »
Hey Pooter!

Glad you're back at work again - it sure helps, doesn't it?  How is the swelling on your head?  Sounds like it is resolving, hopefully! 

Thanks for taking care of the transportation negotiations for next year's symposium, Brian!  I know Phyl will cave eventually....

Debbi, getting ready for my first hair cut/color in three months!
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #385 on: July 11, 2008, 07:33:11 pm »
SURE!  It was easy.  I got Phyl to agree to pick us all up on the Leer, so it was easy!  ;)

Phyl, ya haven't slipped me anything yet... uhh...  i said YET..  ;)

2nd day of work with at least 6 hours each day.  So far, so good.  Next week, we'll try it all week (without the fever, headaches and hospital visit to get in the way this time!)

Brian

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #386 on: July 12, 2008, 12:33:13 pm »
Yay, Brian - you know I'm cheering you on from hot and sticky NJ!!  (wait, you're in hot and sticky TX, aren't you? No sympathy from you...)

Debbi, sporting a new "do"
2.4 cm Right Side AN

cmp

« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2008, 02:00:33 pm »
So glad to hear you've been steadily improving, Brian. If nothing else, this "AN journey" thing makes us into more patient people, does it not?

Almost a full day at the office, and you commuted yourself there, too--whoo hoo! Things may not be 100% yet, but that's still pretty darn close to "normal"!

Hope the trend continues for you--

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: July 13, 2008, 07:22:02 pm »
*runs in, slips my Pooter a $10 bill.....*

What, your job hasn't given you a raise yet for showing up so soon post surgery?  :o  Shame on them! ;)

Phyl

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #389 on: July 14, 2008, 09:23:25 pm »
The 2009 symposium is in Chicago at the Drake Hotel.     August 14th-16th. 

Ah, yes, the symposium.  Basically in my back yard in 2009.  Hope to see lots of you guys there - free moderator's jet or not  :D

Glad to hear you're back to work Pooter  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways