Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled  (Read 2653 times)

dhsgbb

Surgery Scheduled
« on: June 03, 2010, 02:29:34 pm »
I have my surgery scheduled (June 18). It's been about two months since diagnosis and have done lots of research. Choice was between HEI-Dr. Friedman, U of Iowa-Dr. Gantz, and Mayo Clinic-Dr. Link. I was ready to go to HEI but chose U of Iowa with Dr. Gantz because of location. Much closer for family and follow-up care if needed. Very difficult choice as Dr. Friedman was excellent and outstanding to work with in just the little communication we did. Dr. Gantz was great as well. I just feel more comfortable with the location and follow up care.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 02:37:51 pm »
dhsgbb ~

Congratulations on your decision.  It's always hard but I'm sure you've made the right choice - for you - which is all that really matters.  I know that Dr. Gantz has a good reputation around here based on some of our members that underwent surgery with him.  I'm sure they'll be adding to this thread, soon.

I've added your surgery date to our AN Treatment Calendar: http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d18/06/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:52:36 am »
Good to hear that you do have your surgery date and time will go fast now.       Feel free to ask any questions you have and can PM mail me also.              I am very happy we have UIHC in Iowa and someone who does ANs on a frequent basis.       
                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 02:24:31 pm »

Good luck with your surgery. I had to chose between Dr Friedman in LA or my doctor in Houston. Besides some insurance problems, my choice was based on location and the ability to get back to Houston quickly is some problem popped up. I am going back to Houston in July to finish my BAHA installation, which beats going out to LA. Believe me, if you had some serious problem show up, most doctors that had nothing to do with your surgery, would be reluctant to treat you other than in an emergency situation. Like they say in the restaurant business...location, location, location.