Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82847 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2008, 07:27:31 am »
Haha..that would be great!  We have a fairly small yard and few bushes, but you're more than welcome over to do both!  ;) 

Thanks for the words of encouragement regarding Jenni, Jan and Debbi.  I was in the middle of planning a surprise trip to Vegas for us both including a trip by the "Texas Wedding Chapel" when the AN thing came on.  I had to come clean about the plans to Jenni when I got the MRI results.  You're right that nothing else matters but having a good relationship, great friendship, and caring about each other.  She's been heroic during all this and I've told her that in so many words (she also lurks on this board from time to time.. Hi Jenni! ;) )  We will say "I do" again one day.  It's only a matter of getting through the current crisis (AN).

I worked from home yesterday (all this week actually).  It was good to get back.  We're a small-ish company (about 200 total employees or so) but we're fairly advanced technically so there's LOTS to do daily.  I'm working from home 9-1 daily to accomodate my schedule.  I can still nap if I need to later in the day!  ;)  I'm supposed to go to the office part time next week.  After that, we'll see.  I'm gonna call / email the doc today, cuz I still get a little leakage from the wrap especially when I sleep.  Perhaps it's the angle or something (Jenni got me a couple wedges to elevate me and help me sleep).  Anyone else have long-term leakage (it looks like blood) from their incision?  I'm 5.5 weeks post-surgery so I expected the incision to be well on the way to healing by now.  It's only scabby where I get the swelling.  Anyone else have this?  What was it?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2008, 07:39:36 am »
Brian~
I don't have any experience with the leaking scar - hope that you get that under control soon.  Hopefully it is just another step in the healing process...
As the whole marriage/divorce thing, I have a strong belief that God wants us to be married (& I know that you have a strong faith too) BUT I am just happy that you two have rediscovered each other!  Dave's parents were divorced for over a year (I'm a little unclear about the time since I wasn't in the picture yet & it is not really talked about!  I NEVER sent them an anniversary card until they celebreated 50 b/c I didn't know which day to send it on!! LOL!!) and I can definitely say that they have a much stronger marriage now.  You have a rough "season" and you are weathering it together - what a wonderful thing!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2008, 09:40:31 am »
Brian-

As you know, my leaking was mostly infection related - although I am now getting a little blood where a piece of the scab came off last night (sorry, gross).  Leaking does seem to be more of a problem at night.  I still put a gauze dressing loosely over the incision every night - partly to protect it (and my pillow) and partly so that I will know if there is any drainage. I'd definitely talk to the doc about it, though.  At this point, I wouldn't take any chances with any leakage.

I was touched to hear about your plans to surprise Jenni with a trip to Las Vegas - so romantic.  And, although you've had to alter those plans, I suspect that you will find that when you do say "I do" again, you will be even closer.  This whole AN thing really lets you see each others inner self - and in the case of you and Jenni, I'm thinking it is ALL good.  You just seem like a wonderful couple.  Sorry, am I being mushy?  I do that a lot lately...

It's good to be back at work, isn't it?  EVen though I am still only working part time, it is just such a good feeling to be doing something "normal."  Just don't push yourself too much!

Debbi - still spitting stitches...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2008, 01:22:32 pm »
Um, how can I get in on this lawn mowing/pruning deal?  Since Brian is lucky enough to have a lawn boy (I should get one of those), maybe Jan and Debbi can swing by Nashville and do my yard!!

I tried mowing for the first time since my surgery a few weeks ago.  It probably would have been easier if we didnt live on a giant mountain (okay, it's more like a hill).  I got 3/4 of the backyard done and then quit.  James came home from work and I was quite proud of my accomplishment and the first thing he says is "why didn't you finish?".  I just gave him "the look" and said "because I had brain surgery last year and I shouldn't have to mow the lawn in the first place!".  Men....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2008, 01:35:57 pm »
"Men" - sums it all up for me   :D

No offense, guys  ;)

Maybe we should add lawn services to the ever popular garage surgery business and employ all the masterminds that Debbi was referring to.  If any of the masterminds should happen to have an accident while mowing and pruning, we could just roll them into the garage for surgery.  How is James at re-attaching toes and fingers?   :o

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
To mow or not to mow
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2008, 01:58:41 pm »
I'm fortunate (and was prescient enough to know the extent of my physical ambition) to reside in a condominium where my monthly maintenance fee pays for, among other things, professional groundskeeping services so I don't have to deal with the dreaded lawn mowing chore that so many seem to find so onerous.  However, the exchanges between the homeowners either struggling to mow their lawn (Lori), grudgingly mowing it out of financial necessity (Jan) or paying others to do it (which is, in effect, what I do along with Brian, who pays directly) are amusing.  Thanks.  :)

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2008, 02:48:31 pm »
Uh Oh - looks like the Garage Surgery Shop is going to need an HR person.  Any takers?  And, we really need a catchier name ... something with a multi-national flavor since it is obviously a diverse and sophisticated company...

Brian, see what happens when you leave for awhile?  A bunch of crazy people take over your thread... 

Personally, I am using the brain surgery thing as a reason not to get anywhere near the lawn mower/tractor - ever.  Jim and Brian, I'm with you - this is something other people should do.  In my case, the "other people" is my beloved husband...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cindyj

« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2008, 04:08:38 pm »
Glad you're feeling more "normal" Brian - know it must be good to drive again.  Is the taste still coming back?  To have Coke taste bad, would be quite tragic to me - hope it's not too long before you can enjoy the full flavor and feel the fizz of that great drink!

Will be very interested to see if you guys do come up w/ a new name for the Garage Surgical Center...

Jim, I have to tell you, "thanks" for expanding my vocab today - you used the word "prescient" in your last post here and I had to look it up to get the meaning as I had never heard it before...yet another thing I have learned here on this forum!

Hope things do continue to improve for you, Brian,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2008, 04:16:20 pm »
I am always looking up Jim's words - I do think he is trying to expand our vocabularies.  HOWEVER...the guy was here a little while ago to fix the dryer and he looked suspiciously like Jim Scott's photo - you know he is a tricky one with the whole name thing...do you think he is undercover all the way in Texas??????????

K   ???
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2008, 05:28:09 pm »
HOWEVER...the guy was here a little while ago to fix the dryer and he looked suspiciously like Jim Scott's photo - you know he is a tricky one with the whole name thing...do you think he is undercover all the way in Texas??????????

K - that is priceless!  You may have just solved the "Jim Scott Mystery"  :o

Brian -  we hijack threads all the time; but you seem like the kind of guy who would understand.  I hope the taste buds get better soon - it's been a while since mine were "weird" but I distinctly remember what that was like.  My biggest taste disappointment was chocolate.  I worship chocolate, but post op I had absolutely no desire to eat it because it just didn't taste the same  :(  Thankfully that passed  :D

Jim -  I do cut the grass because of financial reasons, but I just wanted to clarify that I don't do it grudgingly.  I actually kind of like it.  I prune bushes also and except for a nasty encounter with some irrate bees a couple of years ago, I like that too.  But I will say that I  cook and do housework grudgingly  :D

I think we should leave the name of our enterprise up to Lori.  She usually has some great ideas!

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2008, 09:05:07 pm »
Haha.. Hijack away!  I love the banter!  ;)

The taste is coming back and seems to only really affect cokes.. Bummer that!  At least I like other things to drink.  Jenni gets this great sweetened iced tea from WalMart!  Luckily I drink that and water most of the time these days.  The swelling is WAY down (at least with the bonnet on) and seems to be headed in the right direction.  I'm not out of the woods yet since it comes back after the wrap has been off for awhile but it seems to come back less...If that makes senese.  I still get headaces, but they aren't near as intense as they used to be.  Let's just say that I can tell when the pressure is up and when the swelling is up.  I don't like the headaches, don't get me wrong, but they're not as debilitating as they once were.  I feel better today aside from knowing when the pressure is up.  We are headed in the right direction at least.

Some ppl from our Church came over and sat for awhile.  We talked and prayed over me before they left.  It was good for me (on both points).  Jenni was at the store with the kids so she missed them, but I understand the need to get to the store.  We were out of tea, apples, and almond snickers (that I put in the freezer!!) afterall.  ;)

I often wonder what Jim is saying with his big words.  Maybe he does moonlight under cover out of town, Kaybo!  I noticed he doesn't admit or deny it at all. Hmm... Let's keep an eye (and our good ear) on him.  One of these fine days he'lll slip up.  ;)

Jenni's a great woman!  It bears repeating that she's been heroic during all this.  As I said, we will say "I do" once again.  I think that we've gotten closer during all this AN stuff, if that is possible.  She's a keeper.. I hope she knows that (Hi Jenni!!!!).

For now, it's a daily climb back into the saddle so to speak.  Thanks for the encouragement all!

Brian aka Pooter...
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

lori67

« Reply #236 on: June 18, 2008, 09:09:12 am »
Brian, you're so sweet!  Sounds like you and Jenni are lucky to have each other.

So... Jim is actually the Maytag man.....who knew?  No wonder he has time to be moderator - he doesn't get out much - you know those Maytags never break.   :D

Oh, great, now I need a new name for the garage.  Maybe Maytag Jim can come up with a big word that none of us understand... ;)

Jan, I wouldn't mind the yardwork so much if we didn't have giant mutant bugs here in Nashville.  Before I'll even pick anything out of the garden, I have to stand there and inspect it for an hour to make sure nothing crawls on me.  Blah....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2008, 02:42:44 pm »
Had my Maytag washer and dryer for 21 yrs and not one problem.  No wonder Jim is a moderator, if he's the Maytag man he's so lonely :'(

We love you Jim ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #238 on: June 18, 2008, 07:53:43 pm »
Poor Jim!  I'll bet he's really regretting he told us his real name isn't Jim Scott  ::)

Jim, as yardtick said, we love you - which is why we tease you so much.  Poor Phyl has been putting up with this for so long; I'll bet she's glad you and Steve joined her as moderators.  Which leads me to the question - why don't we ever tease Joef  ???

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #239 on: June 18, 2008, 08:17:15 pm »
Where has Joef been lately?  ???   Did he go on hiatus too????

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!