Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82871 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2008, 09:49:37 pm »
I am not on Diamox, but I still have a lot of taste issues.  Initially everything tasted like metal.  Now it tastes like extremely salty metal.  Yum.

oHIo -

this is exactly what I experienced post op.  But at some point it all went away and everything was back to normal again.  I don't recall exactly how long it took, but it was definitely gone by 9 months post op.  When I had this issue someone recommended taking zinc to help my taste buds.  I did try it and my taste buds did get better.  However, I don't know if the zinc really had anything to do with it. 

Pooter -

vent when you want to - we all understand and it's one of the things we are here for.  We've all had our moments and I know from experience that venting makes one feel better  ;)  Don't despair, better days are ahead.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2008, 10:17:47 pm »
I complained at every meal about the bad tastes and off taste of practically everything except chocolate.  This went on for 7 months before I got relief.  Then by 9 months I saw big change.  I think my complaints were boring for my husband.  He was the only one listening.  The problem just slowly vanished.  At the same time I battled dry mouth, eye and nose running while I ate.  I wondered if I was watching my own pay back for not having lost the smile and blink.  How frustrated we can get. 

Go ahead, vent!   Venting gets the air cleared. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 10:26:12 pm by Boppie »

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2008, 01:11:22 pm »
YEA!  I feel much more "normal" now!  I just drove for the first time in over a month!  Granted it was a short distance, but it was very free-ing!  What a great Father's Day present!  The swelling is down "quite a bit" (according to Jenni).  So, the med must be doing its thing.  Thanks for the tips about water.  I almost drank a whole water in church today!  Then we went to one of our favorite places to eat!  THEN Jenni pulled over and let me drive home!!  :) :) :)  Oh what a happy day!  And what a difference a day makes for my attitude!

Thanks all! :)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Boppie

« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2008, 01:58:27 pm »
Brian, I am glad to hear your celebration.  ;D  Happy Father's Day.

Kaybo

« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2008, 03:06:02 pm »
Brian~
What a great thing!!  I know that made you feel better!  Glad the swelling is down!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2008, 09:50:34 pm »
Brian -

congratulations on the driving milestone  ;D  Well done!

Have you had the occasion to mow your lawn yet?  I only ask, because yesterday when I mowed mine, I was remembering the first time I did so post op.  All the walking around in circles had me so dizzy that I was thankful I had the lawn mower to hang on to  :D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2008, 12:15:59 am »
Back in the driver's seat. Very cool.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2008, 07:29:42 am »
Thanks everyone!  It was good for me to get behind the wheel again!  It felt good and a feeling of power to me.

Jan, haha!  The lawn!  I haven't done the lawn myself in YEARS!  It really plays havoc with my allergies so we pay to get it done.  It gives us more time with the kids and my allergies don't suffer for it.  :)

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Cheryl R

« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2008, 08:18:34 am »
Is your taste doing any better?            Don't feel bad about venting.     We sometimes can put up with a lot but if something new is added than that is what sends us over the edge and makes us very frustrated.                My taste and dry mouth issue is what is bugging me the worse as never had it so bad before.   
  Getting back to a normal lifestyle helps so much and esp if a guy can't drive would be hard.    Good to know you are starting again.
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2008, 08:46:48 am »
Yay on the driving, Brian!  That is such a BIG milestone!  I still get a little thrill when I get behind the wheel.  The fartherst I've gone at this point is about 20 milies, but that's enough for now in one trip.  Don't think I am quite ready to brave NYC driving yet ...   ;D 

Debbi - spitting sutures...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2008, 09:14:26 am »
Jan, haha!  The lawn!  I haven't done the lawn myself in YEARS!  It really plays havoc with my allergies so we pay to get it done.  It gives us more time with the kids and my allergies don't suffer for it.  :)

Pooter -

glad I could provide you with a laugh  ;D

I used to have the lawn done, but post divorce it's a luxury I just can't afford anymore.  Plus, some weeks it's the only real exercise I get LOL

Jan

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2008, 12:48:32 pm »
Cheryl:  The taste is better but not great.  You are right that Coke seems flat.  Bleh!  Back to tea and water for me!  Thanks for letting me vent.  I know others with more serious issues are saying to themselves "well, *I* have *this* going on that is much worse".  True and I keep my issues quiet for the most part but I was irked.  Could you tell?  ;)

Debbi:  Yeah, I saw that you've been driving for awhile.  That's great!  I only went a few miles on the first trip.  Luckily, I go into work later than most and I don't have to be in traffic all that much.  I don't think that NYC driving is near in my future either.  ;)

Jan:  You always make me laugh.  Prior to surgery, the only exercise I got was walking back and forth to my office.  Being the IT Manager means that I get all kinds of things that take me out of my office.  Other than that, nothing to speak of.  I was happy with that.  Between surgery and the meds I've lost about 20lbs.  Heckofa way to lose weight fast, but I wouldn't recommend an AN to anyone.  ;)  Speaking of divorce, is now a good time to mention that Jenni and I have been divorced for a couple of years now?  I moved back home after 18 months or so and I was planning a trip to Vegas for us both when this AN thing came along.  You'd never know we were a divorced couple by the way we act online or in person.  I refer to her still as my wife to everyone I know (and those that I don't).  I'm glad we were where we were at the time of the AN.  I can't imagine going through all this alone.  Those of you who have gone through it alone have my unyielding admiration.

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2008, 01:38:30 pm »
Brian -

I'm glad I can make you laugh - it's one of the reasons I stick around here  ;D

As for you and Jenni - although I'm personally opposed to marriage - I think the two of you should say "I do" again.  Naturally I don't know either of you personally, but from the posts here you seem like a great couple.  So either you really are, or you both did a damn good job of fooling us  ;)

Whether you choose to tie the knot again or not, it was incredible that Jenni was - and still is - there for you during your AN journey.

Jan

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2008, 05:02:55 pm »
HI Brian-

Well, no matter what the "legal" relationship, it is very clear that you and Jenni have a great friendship and that you care deeply about each other.  What else matters?

Adn, BTW, I think your recovery has been quite impressive!  Probably has a lot to do with your great attitude...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2008, 08:36:52 pm »
Debbi -

just had a thought.  One of these day we'll have to stop by Pooter's house.  I'll cut the grass and you can trim the bushes  :D

Jan