Author Topic: AN Magic Scarf travel history...  (Read 11633 times)

cindyj

AN Magic Scarf travel history...
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:11:48 pm »
Hi, All!  Been trying to get the Magic Scarf back to traveling - thanks to Carol Ann it is now on its way to Christine (ChristineH) in AZ.  For you newbies here, the Magic Scarf is a wonderful tradition started by Debbi (Debbi) in NYC in April of 2008.  She received a scarf from a friend at the time of her AN surgery and then passed it on to Wendy (wendysig) after that and it has been traveling around the country and world ever since!  There are numerous threads discussing the history of the Scarf - you can do a search of "Magic Scarf" to see more details.  There are also many pics of the Scarf that have been shared...but our first male recipient (Ken/1caNAdian) wore it with such great style that I thought I'd put that link here for you to check out:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=8297.0

In addition to the Scarf, there was a journal that traveled along w/ it.  Unfortunately, it went missing quite some time back and, to my knowledge, has never been found.  I know there are some threads w/ copies of some of the original pages in it...I may try to come up w/ something to use to get it started again.  I think Tammy (Tamster) tried to start recreating it awhile back, but not sure if she had any luck...will PM her to see.  In the meantime, if any of you out there have any thoughts or ideas, speak up and we'll see what we can come up with.  To get the "project" started, I have come up with a rough list of those that I could identify who have had the scarf over the past 3 years.  Please add to and/or make changes if you know of folks that I missed.  I was getting bleary-eyed and confused, so I'm sure there are some incorrect things.  I couldn't always tell where the people were from either, so if any of you know on the missing ones, let us know.  In some instances (as in my own), the Scarf was passed off in person out at HEI in LA...I tried to note that if that was the case...Even if we can't get a journal going again, I think it would be nice to somehow keep some sort of list of all the recipients over the years to come :D

Apr ’08 Debbi (Debbi) NYC                                              Apr '09 Nancy (NancyMc) NH

Jun ’08 Wendy (wendysig) NY                                         Apr '09 Laura (allegro17)

Aug ’08 Sue (Lamsue23)                                                 Jun '09 Molly (MissMolly) MA

Aug ’08 Cathy (Dog Lover) IA                                          Aug '09 Ken (mandy721)

Oct ’08 Cheri (CWood) TX                                               Sep '09 Cheryl (AnotherNYpostie) NY

Oct ’08 Mathilda (mathilda) Netherlands - HEI                    Oct '09 Amy (newmommyLA) CA

Nov ’08 Cindy (cindyj) GA - HEI                                         Nov '09 Dennis (DR) MI - HEI

Nov ’08 Amy (AMD) IN                                                     Dec '09 Tammy (Tamster)

Dec ’08 Ken (1cANAdian) Canada                                      Dec '09 Jay (jaylogs)

Jan ’09 Kathy (KathyM)                                                    Dec '09 Marie (gingerbread6)                       

Jan ’09 Mike (loosescrews) HEI                                          Jan '10 Lynn (Lynn Mc) MA

Feb ’09 Kim (zinger1905) Washington, DC                           Mar '10 Jacqui (kiwi) New Zealand

Mar ’09 Ernie (EJTampa) FL                                               May '10 Sue (sues1953) MI

Mar ’09 Scarlett (SML)                                                      May '10 Carol Ann (iluuvpups) MI

Thanks for your help!  And thank you again, Debbi for starting this great AN tradition.  It has meant so much to so many.  And even for those who didn't get the actual Scarf, there has always been a "virtual Magic Scarf" floating around to share the love and support of all of us here in the AN forum family.

Cindy 
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: AN Magic Scarf travel history...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:25:32 pm »
This is awesome Cindy, I liked how you got the all the destinations listed like that...that thing has REALLY been around, hasn't it?  How funny it's coming to AZ, where I am at!! Even though I had gotten it in Los Angeles when I went to HEI there, I feel it's special aura!  Thanks again for keeping this alive!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:15:12 pm »
Thanks, Jay!  Yea, I had no idea the Scarf had been to SO many people - think it's just great and I hope it will keep traveling for years to come! 

Need to add a couple of names to the list which I missed (thank you LAdavid).  I'm sure there are other errors - you guys let me know!  Was not always clear (to me, anyway) who received the Scarf from whom and when and where, but this is a start, I suppose...

Hopefully, Christine in AZ has received it from Carol Ann and will report to us at some point about how her surgery goes this week (think it's tomorrow).

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:28:49 am »
I loved reading about the scarf and Deb, what a wonderful gift to start.  So glad it has been shared and traveled the country and continues its travels.  Also, glad to read that the journal as been found and is awaiting its next entry.
Who is going to write the scarf's secrets?  I'm sure it has quite a story to tell!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:40:40 am »
Yes, so great that the journal has just been found and is on its way again also!  Here's the link about it in case any of you missed it:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=15126.0

Thanks, again, Laura Lynn for keeping it safe and getting it to Christine!

What a story this is turning into!  Debbi, would you have ever thought your gesture 3 years ago would have touched so many here in our AN world  :-*

Cindy
feeling great!

lauralynn

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:47 am »
Hello AN family,

I saw Christine yesterday...such a blessing to meet her in person!  She had just come from her pre op appt at the hospital and was heading to her dr appt.  She had the Magic Scarf in hand and I did pass the journal onto her.  I did ask her husband to call me with any updates and as soon as I hear anything I will definately post it on here.  I love my AN family!

God Bless,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:57:27 pm »
I love seeing the journal and scarf reunited.  Here is a link where everyone can see the pages from beginning up through Scarlett (SML) in March of 2009!  I would love to see more added as well.

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=9117.0

Hope everyone is well!  I know I've been slacking when it comes to posting, but I lurk fairly regularly :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »
Well, hey, Ernie!  Thanks for the link!  Hope all is well for you!

Would like to come up w/ some idea to at least get the names of the people who have had the Scarf added into the journal now that they are back together and in circulation again.  At the very minimum maybe a page just listing everyone?  Anyone have any thoughts?

Sounds like the Scarf was magical for Christine!  Glad it's back to work again!

Cindy
feeling great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:16:47 pm »
What a wonderful day!!  The Magic Scarf arrived in the mail today!  I have not had a chance to read all of the journal yet but I feel so honored to "carry the torch" in its journey through our subculture of the AN world.  My surgery is May 11th in Los Angeles so it will be packed for the trip to HEI.  With the magic scarf and all of the prayers, it all has to go well!

I started out the day "in the dumps" because it is my birthday ...... and one I really did not want to acknowledge ...... but it ended up being a beautiful day full of many treasured experiences.

Thanks to Christine and all of you on the Forum for being my "friends who understand!"

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:30:43 am »
So glad the Scarf reached you before your trip!  Couldn't you just feel the magic :)  You know, it's been awhile since there's been a pic posted on the forum of the Scarf doing service for someone...hint, hint ;)

Hugs,

Cindy
feeling great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 03:15:36 pm »
Wow, I just read this thread (thanks for sending me the PM, Cindy!) and I must say that my eye (the good one) welled up a bit.  You are right, Cindy, that day at the Heartland Brewery in NYC when I passed the scarf to Wendy, who was just a week or so away from surgery, I never imagined where it would go.  Pretty cool.  I never saw the journal as it started after the Scarf's initial trip, but am delighted to hear that it is once again reunited with the Scarf.  Hm, maybe LADavid and I should collaborate on a book - Secret of The Traveling Magic Scarf, or something?   ;) ;) ;)

Clarice, I am SO glad that the scarf is with you - you deserve some magic after all you have been through.  I am sending you a slightly belated birthday hug!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:11:55 pm »
Debbi .....

Thanks for your foresight in seeing what a very special thing this Magic Scarf could become.  LADavid and I have already been in contact and he, Nancy, and Lainie are going to come see me, so we will definitely take pictures for all to see.

Clarice

sues1953

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 07:50:48 am »
Wow it's good to know that we have the travels of the Magic Scarf even though the journal was lost for a time.  I was one that didn't have the journal, just the scarf but I still felt a great connection as I proudly wore it before my surgery.  I think I have a picture here somewhere.  Those of us that didn't get to include our journey could maybe write a letter and have it  inserted.  Just a thought.

Sue in MI
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 12:29:46 pm »
Sue .....

That sounds like a great idea for anyone who missed the journal while it was separated from the Magic Scarf.  Send me a PM and I'll send you my address if anyone wants to send a journal entry/picture to me to insert.  The Magic Scarf and journal are packed and ready to go.  My surgery is next Wednesday, May 11th at HEI (flying out tomorrow) but we are having our mail held until we return.  We have flight reservations for May 23rd and sure planning for that to be the day we get home!

Someone needs to be sure to tell me who needs/wants the Magic Scarf next and I will mail it to them as soon as we get home.

Clarice

NL

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 01:43:07 am »
Thanks, Debbi, for starting the Magic Scarf on this three year (so far!) journey! And thanks, Cindy, for keeping track!

David, Lainie and I had the pleasure of meeting with Clarice and her husband just 10 days after her surgery. She was doing so well, we even did a little sight-seeing after lunch!  :)

Clarice with her hubby and the Magic Scarf, 5-21-11

Clarice and hubby with David, Nancy & Lainie at LA Live, 5-21-11

Clarice, it was wonderful to see you with so much energy at 10 days post-op! May you continue to have a spectacular recovery!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan