Author Topic: Darlene's Sugery  (Read 5379 times)

Darlene

Darlene's Sugery
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:52:17 pm »
Darlene asked me to post this (which I've never done before so forgive me if it doesn't work)

Darlene had surgery today at NYU with Dr's Golfinos and Roland. It took a little longer than we expected but at 6 hours ( including prep time) that seems about what we were told. Dr's were pleased with the surgery. Tests in the OR indicated good facial nerve reposnse although we should expect some weakness in the short term. The tumor was pretty close to / involved with the cochlea so at this time, we are unsure about the hearing preservation. This doesn't come as a surprise; we were told that this was a possibilty.

Up at 4 AM.... in NYC at 6AM.....into surgery at 8:15 AM........spoke to doctors at 2:15.... saw Darlene in recovery at 3:15.... she was up in a room by 6:30 where she is resting (thanks to the help of narcotics).....a long day.

I don't know any of you but I owe you all a big thank you. Darlene doesn't just jump into anything. She researches everything until she finds what she wants and then she proceeds. ( I always tell her....."women shop....men buy") I'm glad she shopped and and I glad she found people like each of you to offer advice, comments and guidance. Thank you....all of you and here's to Darlene's speedy recovery

Craig

DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

sgerrard

Re: Darlene's Sugery
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:03:55 pm »
here's to Darlene's speedy recovery

Hear, hear.

It sounds like she is off to a good start. Give her a couple of days in the hospital, and a few weeks of resting at home. Best wishes and take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

moe

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:12:04 pm »
( I always tell her....."women shop....men buy") I'm glad she shopped

So true! We like to shop around and get the best "bargain."
Will stay posted.
Remember the first 3 days don't count!( F3D) Glad to hear everything went OK
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 07:58:17 am »
Craig .....

Glad Darlene's surgery is over and she is doing well.  She may not feel like talking much for a couple of days and she may have some double vision.  Take care of yourself now, too!

My prayers for a complete, uneventful recovery!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:44:20 am »
Glad to hear all went well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Scarlett & Rich
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 03:21:35 pm »
Craig ~

Thanks for the update.  From your account, it appears as if Darlene did remarkably well!  Most AN surgeries are longer than 6 hours, (mine was over 9 hours) - so that's probably a good sign.

She may be quite fatigued for a few days then need frequent naps once back at home but hopefully, she'll have a smooth and rapid recovery.  Tell Darlene we're cheering her on from here - and I know I speak for all of her forum friends when I express our appreciation to you for your very kind words.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 08:31:24 am »
Hello,
It was great to see an update on Darlene! Thank you for posting. I hope and pray for her to get increasingly better. Tell her we all wish her well and look forward to hearing from her when she's up for it!

Take care,
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cin605

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:44:50 pm »
Congrats to Darlene! :)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 03:39:47 pm »
Welcome to postie land Darlene....wishes for a speedy recovery
Jo ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

MissMolly

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 07:07:23 am »
Yay Darlene,
The worst is over.  Welcome to postie land.  It's nice here.   ;D

Miss Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Darlene

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 02:07:36 am »
Hi everyone I am home, 

Actually got to come home yesterday july 4th so very happy about that.   Read that Darin is doing well and saw that Cheryl posted hoping that Lupy and Nyc NEWBIE  ARE DOING OK. 

sURGERY WENT OK, VERY GRATEFUL.  SEEM TO HAVE HEARING but difficult time with slleeping I think due to steroids;  anyone have any problems with this?  It caused my blood sugar to raise and they had been giving me insulin in the hospital now it seems to keep me going despite being tired.  I am also havin some issues trying to keep my eye moistrized,  Do the drops ,but taping the eye doesn't seem to work,  /I am usuing white hospital tape is that right?  I am going to try a in search engine but don't know how long I can last,   just wanted to end with a thank you you are all very thoughtful and I appreciate your help.
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 06:46:48 am »
Darlene -

glad you're back so soon!

Don't know the answer to your eye question - I'm sure many others will - but wanted to say that yes, steroids will interrupt your sleep.

Many thanks to Craig for his update.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 06:56:40 am »
Hi Darlene,
I emphathize with the eye issues. And it's hard to stay on the computer and read! Check out the 'eye issues' section or PM someone from there. There's a lot of useful info that I'm hoping you can find quickly without doing a lot of reading.
Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 11:39:38 am »
Darlene,

I'm glad to see that you are home!  I can't answer your eye questions either, but I'm sure someone will.  In the meantime, rest, let Craig pamper you and heal. :)

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 05:19:20 pm »
Hey Darlene, first post as a posite here! Whoohooo! I'll detail in a different subject. Just wanted to read about yours first. My eye is fairly dry/irritated. I put some 'refresh' eyedrops, overtheconter every couple of hours. And I am using some sort of Gel for the eye overnights, with a crappy eyepatch. It hurts the incisional area with it's string, but it's helpful for a few hours at a time. I'm really glad your surgery was reltiviely short. Sorry about spelling/types, this is my fiirst computer use since surgery, it's still quite 'foggy'. ;D Hope your healing goes well.
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!