Author Topic: the stupidist thing people said....  (Read 37473 times)

Kathleen_Mc

Re: the stupidist thing people said....
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 08:14:08 am »
I remember  getting a call from the emerg. department that an out-patient was downstairs and only wanted to talk to me (I 'm a nurse, work in psych. in a hospital, this was at 1 or 2 am). As I walk up to the nurse in charge down there to aske where in the department this patient was she looks up, makes eye contact and goes completely white and says "I thought you were dead"....I'm not quick with come backs so I just responded "nope", and went about my business. I later found out that it was rumored that I did die! (yes sometimes hospitals are like they look in the tv shows!).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Kilroy1976

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 09:38:52 am »
My cousin has it in his mind (no pun intended) that I should have been "fixed" the day after radiation. Every time I talk to him he asks me "you're all better now though, right?"

TOM! IT IS NOT A ZIT! IT DOES NOT JUST GO AWAY AFTER A WEEK!
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

matti

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 01:53:33 pm »
I remember waking up in ICU to facial paralysis (not expecting it) and very groggy, asking my nurse what was wrong with my face, I then remember saying "I hope it doesn't last too long" and he replies, "well, it if doesn't come back in 3 days, you are cooked". I layed there so scared and helpless. When my surgeon came in the next morning, he saw how upset I was and I told him what was said to me. That nurse was taken off the floor immediately and he did not deny what he said. I was told later on, that he no longer worked at that hospital.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 09:01:18 pm »
Hey I think I dated Kilroy's cousin  lol

okiesandy

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 09:28:12 pm »
My boss holding a meeting while I was at the doctors office for a check up and telling everone to humor me because I was probably going to die. When I came back to work the next day I had a crying co-worker and the biggest bunch of flowers your ever saw. Poor lady had cried all night because there was no cure for my cancer. Cancer?????? Who forgot to tell me?

Or maybe another co-worker who ask who would do my work when I was gone. Geez, I have a brain tumor what's her excuse?

Or maybe the first Dr. God who told me not to worry about surgery because not many people died from it. After all I had lead a full life hadn't I? He shold know because he had done 20 to 30 AN's in the last ten years and most of them turned out fine. What happened to the others?
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

stein78

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 09:48:14 pm »
A guy who works with me says this to me after I was diagnosed: "So are they going to give you some ear drops or something?" My answer to him: "Actually yes, the drops are made of acid, it will just eat away my whole inner ear and eat the tumor."  :D
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Jeanlea

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 10:03:00 pm »
My favorite comment, after telling people that I've lost the hearing in my ear, is "But maybe it will come back."  yea, right. ??? ::)
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 10:24:32 pm »
Too funny Jeanlea I'm told the same thing which is usually followed by...well you can hear me now right? DUH no I'm lip reading while we talk on the phone ;D

JHager

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 09:56:27 am »
I had my neurosurgeion's Physician Assistant ask me, at my first office visit after surgery, if I'd noticed any of my hearing coming back.  My wife and I stared at him, stunned.

"Uh, you do know I had translab surgery, right?"

"Well, sometimes it comes back."

To this day, I'm still not sure what that conversation was about!
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

DSki

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 03:15:50 pm »
You know this thread bothers me. 

People say dumb things all the time.  Don't tell me none of you have ever said something dumb in the time of a crisis.  Have a little compassion and remember, 99.9% of you had never heard of AN before being diagnosed.  You friends, coworkers and family members were new to the idea, too!!!

DSKI

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 03:30:18 pm »
DSKI, I agree but in times like this when we are the one's actually experiencing this and our family and friends and co-workers are also trying to understand, a little stress relief for everyone dealing with their own AN's is acceptable.  Yep, I say stoopid stuff all the time.  I've learned to laugh at myself for it. Heck, I'm famous for it. But... it certainly doesn't make me less compassionate. This forum is for all of us (and yes, it's certainly not just AN patients but family members as well) to learn, grow, share and yes, even try a little humor as stress relief. I'm sorry if this humor is not humor to you... and it may not be to many others either. But, in light of what we all are experiencing, it's just our light-hearted way to enjoy what is going on in our own little part of the world. I'm sorry it offends you. My suggestion...don't read this thread and please read those threads that are of interest to you. 

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Karla83401

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 03:34:52 pm »
I have not posted on this thread before but I must admit that I do lurk and read it with a smile on my face. This AN stuff is really overwhelming at times and my family and I normally handle stressful things with "sick" humor. I have to admit that we have even named my tumor and whenever I forget something, says something stupid, drop something or about anything else, at least one person says "Don't worry Mom, its the tumor not you." and then everyone has a laugh. Sick, yes but it also relieves some of the stress.

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 03:39:04 pm »
Karla,

I have to ask.. what did you name it? :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kilroy1976

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 03:58:00 pm »
Mine is named Phineas.

You know this thread bothers me. 

People say dumb things all the time.  Don't tell me none of you have ever said something dumb in the time of a crisis.  Have a little compassion and remember, 99.9% of you had never heard of AN before being diagnosed.  You friends, coworkers and family members were new to the idea, too!!!

DSKI

I don't think there are any posts here that are written with malice (with the possible exception of the ones directed towards doctors or bosses who more than likely deserve it). This is fun; we might be brain damaged, but at least we're not stoooopid.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006, 04:04:14 pm »
Mine is named Phineas.

I'm thinking of naming mine:

Billy-bob (said with Twue su'thern twang)

Thoughts?

(gawd, that really is sick...LOL!)