Author Topic: Facial Nerve Symptoms Pre-op  (Read 2602 times)

another NY postie

Facial Nerve Symptoms Pre-op
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:16:42 pm »
Hello.  I am newly diagnosed (two weeks) and my AN is small 5mm.  It is deep in the canal, however, where it narrows.  I have some hearing loss, fullness in ear, ocean sound with occasional ringing.

But I also have this somewhat burning like sensation in front of my year about at the top of my cheek bone towards my ear and the same right in front of ear and a little under the ear.  Sometimes it feels tingly.  I don't think any of it is numb.  Could this be facial nerve related?  At first I thought maybe I was clenching my  jaw at night due to stress but it is also now between bottom of my jawbone and bottom of ear. 

I keep reading small but mighty tumor and starting to think I might have one of those.
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Facial Nerve Symptoms Pre-op
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:40:40 pm »
NY Newbie .....

From what you are describing, it sounds like something is encroaching on either (or both) the trigeminal nerve and/or the facial nerve.  Even when an AN is small, its location is just as critical to decision-making on when to seek treatment.  I am not a doctor, but I would recommend you talk with your AN doctor again and ask about the specific location of your AN (as seen on the MRI) and whether it could be pressing on the trigeminal or facial nerves.

If you are experiencing trigeminal pain, I can greatly identify with you ...... there is no pain worse (and I gave birth three times!).  IMO treatment for trigeminal pain is needed sooner, rather than later because it so debilitating!

Keep us updated on how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

another NY postie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:19:38 pm »
HOw does the facial nerve and  the trigenimal nerve differ?  I just googled that (trigenima)...Since mine is deep in canal, that would be where the facial nerve is, right?  I don't have severe pain, it is just this burning sensation, like my skin is hot, a sort of pressure there.  Not painful but like I have a pressure or something poking there.  I have an appt with another neurotologist on Wed. so I will discuss.  It seems strange that I have facial symptoms with a 5mm but this has been going on since around when I was diagnosed.maybe longer, and doesn't seem to go away.  (Occasionally I have sort of a pinpoint of pressure in behind my ear too...but it is not there right now)
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:41:49 pm »
Hi again .....

Without having taken an anatomy class, the best I can do is refer you to a couple of web sites dealing with cranial nerves.  Both the facial nerve and the trigeminal nerve originate at the brain stem and go to the face on each side.  The trigeminal nerve is nerve V and the facial nerve is VII ...... the auditory nerve is VII.  All of these are attached to the brainstem within a very small area, so it is a delicate area, especially when an unwanted tumor gets in the mix.  Check these sites for different descriptions of each:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranial_nerves and http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/cn/cranial.htm

Not being a trained medical person, I do not know whether "deep in the canal" is indicative of which it could be.  However, if you do not have severe pain, my guess would be it is more likely facial in your case.  If you have trigeminal neuralgia (which is pressure on nerve V at the brain stem), you would most likely be suffering electric shock type pain (like someone is putting a live wire to your face).  I pray you do not have it.

From what others on this site have said (who have had facial nerve involvement pre-op), their pain often goes away after treatment.  If we are being totally realistic, some patient's ANs are wrapped around the facial nerve and are "sticky" and difficult to remove without damage to the facial nerve.  Unfortunately we have no fool-proof way to determine this prior to treatment.

I truly hope the above does not fall in the category of "too much information."  I want to stress again how important it is to discuss your symptoms and fears with your AN doctor ..... who has your MRI results and history and is much better able to calm your fears than we are.

Please ask any and all questions of us here ..... no question is too small or silly.  ..... and remember to keep us updated ..... for many of us the "worrying" never stops! ;)

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011