Author Topic: Steroides -- Do they make you gain weight?  (Read 2412 times)

ghenier27

Steroides -- Do they make you gain weight?
« on: June 26, 2009, 06:56:51 pm »
Ok, I don't know how I am coming up with all these questions. But since the begining of this year, I have lost alot of weight- naturally by being active. I have losted over 50 pounds and going. I hear from alot of people who have the surgery that the doctors but them on steroides. I was wondering if it made any of you gain weight? And about how much weight did you lose after surgery?Debi

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Steroides -- Do they make you gain weight?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:38:14 pm »
Debi -

I only had one small dose of steroids post op and I did not gain weight, but I know that steroids in general usually make you gain.

I lost quite a bit of weight after my surgery - because 1) I was so nauseaus that I couldn't keep anything down, therefore I didn't eat (which BTW wasn't a good decision at all) and 2) I had "metallic" mouth and everything tasted weird for a few months.

However, in time both these conditions passed, and alas, I gained the weight back  ::)

Just my experience,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Steroides -- Do they make you gain weight?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:21:40 pm »
Debi ~

I'm not a doctor but to the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge, prolonged use of steroids very often will trigger weight gain as well as other undesirable side-effects.  However, this is not necessarily true for every patient.  I believe a lot has to do with the strength of the steroid dosage and the length of time the steroids are taken. 

I had lost 30+ (unwanted) pounds prior to my surgery due to a loss of the sense of taste (attributable to my growing AN).  I was given steroids (to reduce swelling) during my post-op hospital stay (5 days), then a 5-day tapering-off dosage when I was released.  I did not gain any weight.  3 years later, my weight remains the same and I'm trying to keep it that way by eating smaller portions, avoiding 'junk food' and staying active.  That proves nothing, of course, because we'll each have our own unique reactions to steroid usage.  Your doctor can probably offer more and better information on this issue but I doubt there is a concrete answer to your question.  As the auto ads used to say: "your mileage may vary".  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.