Author Topic: My turn  (Read 12101 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: My turn
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 11:15:24 am »
I feel your pain literally.  Woke up this morning with a killer headache, numbness and facial pain.  For me it has become a way of life.  I hope the steroids do the trick for you.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

bell

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:05 pm »
Hi Ernie,
Sorry to hear about your headaches and I feel your pain.  My headaches have gotton worse the last month occuring almost everyday.  I think that the numbness is wearing off makes sense to why all of a sudden they are worse.  I usually wake with a small headache and it goes away.  I am getting  tingling, sharp pains, and throbbing with headaches around 3p.m.  I am switching Tylenol 500mg one day then Ibup 200 mg the next.  I am not sure if this is safe or right but works unless headache gets really bad.  I am going to see Dr an see it I can try some new meds to ward off ache before it sets in.  If you find anything that works please post it, thank you and good luck.     
Bell

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:17 am »
My headaches are strange.  If I'm sleeping "wrong", it hurts.  If I change position, it goes away in 15 minutes.  Also, when I first get up, I'm fine.  Within 5 minutes, I'm starting to hurt.  If I wait it out, maybe 15 minutes or so, the headache subsides and I can go the whole day without meds.  I went the last 6 days without meds, but then had to take one ibuprofen because of some manual labor I was doing.

During the week without meds, I had on and off pain, but it was bearable.  I'm pretty sure it's muscle pain, but it does send sharp pains into my middle ear.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

moe

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 10:54:04 am »
As far as headaches go, I feel for all of you who suffer from them. They can be totally disruptive I'm sure.

As far as tylenol, the maximum safe dose is 4000 mg/day. That's 8 extra strength tylenol a day!
I'm sure you aren't even close to that amount, Ernie and anyone else. But it is good FYI trivia.
Just watch for tylenol in other products, like cold or sleeping aids.
The liver won't get trashed by taking up to 4000 mg/day according to the experts. But who knows?

And as far as MOTRIN goes, the maximum dose is 3200 mg/ day. That's a lot!
Some people actually need that high dose. As long as you take it with food, I don't think it will trash the stomach, but once again, who knows?

Keep truckn,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ombrerose4

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 08:36:26 am »
I just heard from my neurosurgeon regarding the one month post op MRI I just had because I was having alot of facial pain, along with headaches. I was told that there is some bleeding in the IAC and inflammation. The neurosurgeon consulted with my neurotologist and they agreed that I should be put on antibiotics. I am waiting to hear from my neurotologist (he's in surgery) as I have a few questions for him such as how much of a concern is this bleeding, why did it occur, what other followup should I have, etc. Has anyone else had any problems like this? What other questions should I be asking?
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

EJTampa

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 07:45:26 pm »
I've never heard of them finding bleeding a month later, but I suppose it makes sense since they are in there cutting away at stuff.  My doctor seems pretty convinced that my pain is related to muscle more than anything else.  It does make me wonder though if there isn't more going on inside my head :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 07:37:05 am »
Ernie -

Captain Deb is a headache sufferer and I believe over time that she's found a couple of things that finally worked well for her. 

I haven't seen her on the forum much since the ANA symposium, but you might want to PM her for some advice.  I'm sure she would be very helpful.

Just a thought,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:28:52 am »
Hi Jan,

Actually, I can easily control my headaches taking less than 1500mg of tylenol a day.  That's 3 extra strength tablets, but usually only take 2.

Ernie

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 12:06:14 pm »
The Head and Neck Pain has easily been the worst part of my post-op experience if you discount the bloody gold weight implant debacle.  Thank goodness for Hydrocodone, it works for me.  It's either that or laying perfectly still, head and feet elevated...for hours.

;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.