Author Topic: Do tears return???  (Read 16073 times)

MKLady

Do tears return???
« on: June 22, 2009, 02:39:51 pm »
Has anyone ever had their eye begin to produce tears after a year??  I'm at 14 months and not a tear since waking up with complete paralysis.  No movement until 6 months.  Sometimes I have the sensation that its about to water but...nothing.  :(

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

moe

Re: Do tears return???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:49:48 am »
Sorry but no, I don't have tears after 3 years.
 (I'm a poet, and I didn't know it!)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:09:31 am »
Susan~
I went for YEARS without any tears and then a stretch with some...but no, for me anyway, not that big 'ole run down your face in succession (like sobbing) - maybe just one here and there...but i have, and have NEVER had, ANY movement or feeling.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:42:36 pm »
2 1/2 years and nada....god i hope they do...anyone that is longer than 3 years out there??
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 09:07:59 pm »
my tears came back in 6 mths (or so i thought). its been almost 2 years and my tears are being temperamental like a teenager. When i eat i get tears, when i want to cry it is as dry as a well!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 10:09:49 pm »
I think my eye teared a little when I puked a couple weeks ago. But usually I don't have any. I use A LOT of Refresh Celluvise eyedrops. :)
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45:58 pm »
Here is an older post from November 2007- on this very topic
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5409.0

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 10:50:30 pm »
Here is another post of someone who got these after 10 months
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=976.0

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

alot2learn

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 07:46:35 pm »
I had surgery 2.5 months ago and my facial nerve was cut in order to remove my tumor. This past week my eye has started to produce tears. In-fact, I had an appointment today with a local eye doctor to follow up on my blurry vision and he was pretty amazed. I think he thought I was messing with him when I told him my AN side eye had been watering, but when he added the drops to look at my eye it responded and started to water. He really couldn't explain why. I have started to research which cranial nerves control which areas of the face. The 5th Cranial nerve controls sensation on the majority of the face and also some muscle movement. As far as the eye goes it seems  the 5th crainal nerve is more of a reflex to irritation and sends the signal to the 7th cranial nerve to active the tear gland. As far as emotions go that would be the 7Th cranial nerve. To answer your question it is possible how or why I really don't know. From everything I have read it shouldn't happen. I am sure we have others in here that can shed more light on the subject.

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 11:08:44 am »
Its been almost two years for me and nope cant cry out of that eye and I LOVE drama movies pfffft lol
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

moe

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 03:33:04 pm »
Hmmm that is interesting about the watery eyes :'(. Can you blink too? ;)
I haven't seen any posts of others who have had the same thing, so maybe you are it, the only one!
Does this mean you don't have to lubricate as much??
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

alot2learn

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 08:21:19 pm »
Maureen,
No I can't blink without thinking about it. I do have a gold weight in my  upper eyelid and I had a lower eye lift done. No I do not have to use drops. I do wash my eye in the morning when I wake up with eye wash solution and at night before I go to bed just to rinse my eye out. I don't do anything else at night or during the day.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 07:31:06 am »
i remember a doctor saying the eye nerves are different from the facial nerve branches ? dont know if this is correct, i still have no tears 2.5 years post op
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

TP

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 08:32:18 am »
I am 3 years and 1 month since my AN was removed and still no tears in my left eye. I was never really a cryer but I do miss crying now that I can't cry. I agree sometimes I think a tear is going to pop out but then no, all dry....
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Ellenmn

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:08:13 pm »
I had  surgery on June28,2007 and I started to get tears and lots of them at about 22 months afterwards. Before that I would get tears once in a great while but my eye never used them they just ran down my face by my nose. Now I have so many tears that they pool in my eye and sometimes they drop out of my eye in big drops when I bend my head down or sideways. Now I don't have to use eye drop very much at all, Only  when I get caught in a lot of wind.

I should mention that I did have the nerve splice done on Dec 23,2008. Where they splice the nerve from your tongue on the facial nerve.
From that I started to get some eye movement about a month ago. Still have the gold weight though.