Author Topic: What a difference 1 year makes~  (Read 9750 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

What a difference 1 year makes~
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:15:33 am »
Welp. I am 2 years out with slow recovering facial paralysis. Here is what another year in recovery has done for me...............

We went to the lake yesterday and rode around in the skiboat and I sat there thinking how much better I am this year as compared to the last time we went to the lake last summer.

Last year:
Sat in the boat as a spectator. Didn't ski. Didn't innertube. Didn't get in the water. Had eye patch covering weak eye. Finally took it off only to suffer very bad red eye from the windy boat ride.
We always enjoy a nice beverage at the lake and I remember drinking my beer with a straw because my lips couldn't form around the can.
The bumpy ride in the boat gave me a major headache by the end of the day.
The music from the radio added to the headache.
After 3 hours on the water I was ready to go home.
Got home and poured myself into bed sad and depressed for the things that I no longer could do.

This year:
Was in the water most of the time. Skiing and on the 3 person innertube with my two boys. Had no eyepatch covering my weak eye. Had no sun glasses on and nothing protecting my eye and at the end of the day my eye was perfectly fine. No redness, no dryness. Was able to blink against the forceful winds blowing on my face. Had external eyelid weight on and it stayed on in the water and wind.
I drank beer STRAIGHT FROM THE CAN! This is a huge accomplishment not only because it taste better but because my lips formed a tight seal and didn't spill a drop!
The bumpy ride on the boat and on the innertube was exhilarating and pain-free.
The music from the radio provided the perfect sound for me and my little boys dancing on the front of the boat before doing cannon balls in the water.
After spending the entire day on the water we got out of our swimsuits and dressed on the boat to eat at our favorite restaurant on the lake......Fisherman's Wharf. (after finding what we thought was a secluded area on the water with no other boats we had all gotten completely dressed on the boat IN FULL VIEW of people sitting on their balcony in a beautiful home on the hill. They waved as we rode off. Ugh. Provided lots of laughs for us and for them I'm sure. :o
Enjoyed Mahi Mahi grilled and a wonderful Cabernet at dinner and got home at 11:30pm last night and poured myself into bed exhausted and happy.

Angie
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:55:54 pm by CROOKEDSMILE »

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: What a difference 1 year makes~
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:32:46 pm »
Well there you go. It's great to be enjoying life again. Have a wonderful summer.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:48:55 pm »
Angie ~

Your comparison of this year's lake outing to last year's was not only informative but definitely compelling and very uplifting!  A wonderful guide to those struggling with post-op issues that need to see how recovery is more than a goal - but a reality.  Thank you - and may you have many more of these great days ahead as your recovery continues.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:56:02 pm »
WOW Angie - what a difference a year makes is right ! !
I can relate to forming a seal - I can drink from glasses, etc. since my T3 surgery.
Great news on your continued healing - what a success ! !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 05:29:17 pm »
Life is great adnd you are enjoying every minute ` way to go !!!!!!!!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 11:32:13 pm »
You know I am doing much better than I was this time last year too... Heck I am up on a ladder painting trim on the outside of the house (wearing a snowboard helmet for extra safety- looks very silly in the summer but who cares what it looks like I am back at life again )... I stopped painting the outside of the house when I was told about the tumor and was getting dizzy on it. Now I am up there with no balance issues...

Hmm maybe I should practice the unicycle up there on the roof- now wouldn't that just freak my family out ;) (I am kidding!)

But hey one day I hope to post pictures of me actually riding a unicyle...

Life does go on ... and I am thankful we caught the big ole brain bogger when we did...

Fathers Days was just so special today as I was able to be there with my husband and kids- and not need an afternoon nap. We went fishing and then cooked up our rainbow trout for dinner...MMM

Yes one year makes a huge difference... and more so 2 years...

Here is to more healing  8)

Cheers,

DHM

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:35:08 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:31:34 am »
Yes one year makes a huge difference... and more so 2 years.

As a 3 year surgery/radiation 'veteran', enjoying my life, I'll add my robust AMEN to that assertion.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MKLady

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 02:34:44 pm »
Angie,

Thank you so much for sharing that.  I'm wiping tears from my eyes, or at least from the one eye that will actually produce tears.  I've been so down lately thinking this was it.  I'm at 14 month.  1st anual MRI is tomorrow.   Just hearing that progress can be made from year 1 to year 2 is huge!  Thanks!!

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:10:22 pm »
Susan,
Keep your chin up babe. I'm at 2 years post op and am finally enjoying my new life. At 14 months I was miserable still so YES it does get better. It takes forever + 1 day. I'm right there with ya.
Angie

Keri

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 08:03:36 am »
Thanks, Angie for sharing this. It does put things in perspective. And just reading the details give a much more vivid picture than 'I improved a lot over the last few months!'

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 09:12:01 am »
I haven't done a cannonball off the back of a boat in a long time. I feel like a slacker now. I wonder if I can get my mom to take me out?  :D

Sounds like a great summer adventure. Enjoy it all, Angie.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

moe

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 09:19:39 am »
What wonderful and happy news, Angie!
Those simple pleasures of life are great, aren't they?
We have such a different perspective on life now and appreciate the simple and fun things life has to offer.
I'm 3 years post op and am still truckn or pluggn along, and not ready to stop on MY goal of facial symmetry and a smile (or half smile ;) )
Susan, I will PM you.
I too had/have complete left sided facial paralysis and it is nerve wracking. I'm not giving up hope though.
Have a great summer and enjoy those lovely things summer has to offer!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

epodjn

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 12:43:11 pm »
Angie,
You made me day! No, you made my MONTH!!! That gives me such hope that although things are going slowly and the doctors aren't too hopeful (what do they know) reality is that there are people out there still progressing after 12 months!! Thanks for giving me hope!
Julie
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 12:59:13 pm »
I just had graduation with my kindergartens and of course the parents wanted photos and I agreed (not really wanting my picture). I got a copy sent to me from one of the parents and man I wanted to cry, i thought I was so much further along and then WHAM I see a photo and I look terrible - I am going to cry (not in front of my students). Yes life is good and I am thankful that I have recovered this far but seeing a photo makes me very sad - will I ever be back to the way I was?? Maybe I need to face it that I am not ever going to be the same again! :'( :'( :'( :'(
Harsh reality!
Michelle  :'(
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 02:16:25 pm »
Michelle ~

I'm sorry you  were upset by the school graduation photos.  From the photos you posted here last February, you appear to be doing quite well with regaining your facial mobility.  I suspect you may have been harboring some slightly unrealistic expectations that were abruptly shattered when you saw yourself in that photo.  That can happen - but it shouldn't be totally depressing.  I won't attempt to give you a pep talk here but I will say that your avatar photo is hardly 'terrible'.  Do you show some facial deficits?  Yes, but not so much that it could be termed 'terrible'.  Don't be so hard on yourself, Michelle.  Full recovery will very likely happen for you but it will take longer than you or anyone else would like.  That's the true 'harsh reality'.  Try to be a bit more optimistic - and keep realistic expectations.  Your facial recovery is not complete - yet - but it will be.  You don't look 'terrible' and you I'm sure you'll look even better six months from now.  :)

Jim