Author Topic: I have a surgery date  (Read 2982 times)

TxNurseNoelle

I have a surgery date
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:51:52 am »
Hi to everyone, Just thought I would give  you an update..I have a date set for surgery it is July 24th. I met with the Neurosurgeon who said he reviewed the MRI's and due to "considerable growth" he recommends surgery. It will be Translab which will sacrifice my
hearing on the right side, and I already have significant balance/dizziness/some vertigo at times issues so I am expecting that to worsen for a while. I might also need to stay in hospital for rehab for balance after surgery due to I live in a very small city with limited rehab options. Now that the date is set I have a multitude of emotions. I havent wrapped my mind around all of this yet. I have just had surgery in November for a c-spine stenosis (this was diagnosed along with the AN) I have sooo many things I would like to get in order before surgery, I am going to hopefully stop working on the 10th so I can finish some projects I need to complete, I dont get things done as quickly as I used to and that is very frustrating. surgery is expected to last 6 hrs more or less. I will keep you posted. Thanks for listening. Hugs to all..

Kaybo

Re: I have a surgery date
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:05:38 am »
Noelle~
Well, sounds like you have everything all lined out.  I am glad you get to stop work early so you can get more done.  Where exactly will you be having it done??  I know you said you don't have family around, is anyone coming in to help you.  Call me sometime, OK?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:11:45 am »
Noelle .....

As you have probably read on here, the decision-making process is one of the most difficult aspects of having an AN.  So glad you have a date now and know your time frame to get things in order.  Hopefully you will have peace now as you finish up the projects you have.

My thoughts and prayers .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 02:25:50 pm »
Noelle ~

Congratulations on obtaining a firm date for your Translab surgery.  This is a definite milestone on your 'AN journey'.  Although the prospect of another surgery may be daunting, many of us have gone through it and can assure you that you'll very likely do well.  The idea of undertaking balance therapy in the hospital rehab center is a good one, considering the scarcity of facilities in your small city. 

Thanks for the update and of course, the very best wishes and prayers for a successful surgery.

I added your surgery date to our 'AN Treatment Calendar': http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d24/07/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B.  Feel free to edit as you see fit.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epodjn

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 04:44:21 pm »
It sounds like you have everything under control and planned out. I'm sure everything will go fine. Where are you having your surgery?
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:11:08 pm »
Good luck on your surgery. It looks like you have things under control. Just think soon you will be what they call a toastie postie, I didn't even know what that was when I first joined the forum, thanks to Phyl she provided me with an explanation, now I can use if on others. Keep us posted.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Jeepers

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:40:54 am »
Good luck, Noelle!

Make a list of things you have to do ... it's very satisfying to cross items off and sometimes makes you realize how "un"important some things are ...

Then, just think about how organized everything will be when you get home!  :)
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 05:56:53 am »
Congratulations on making your treatment decision, Noelle.

Good luck with your surgery,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 09:46:36 am »
Noelle,
Glad to hear you have a date and can now get "organized."
Yes, just writing down all the little things that have to be done and then crossing them out actually gaveme great satisfaction and continues to do so today.
Gives a teeny sense of control on a situation you have no control of! Also the big things that need to be done.
Hope it works for you.
Hard to do when you are working full time.
I'm also a nurse, do home health part time. I had translab surgery.
Got questions, ask away. No question is too small or trivial, believe me!
We are here for you :) and can give all sorts of advice and support....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty