Author Topic: Jewelry in the OR  (Read 2833 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Jewelry in the OR
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:57:31 am »
OK...I know this is an odd question but i'm wondering if I'll be able to wear this during the operation.

It's a Hei Matau hook, a gift from a very special friend. They have a number of symbolic meanings, one being safe travel over water. I figure I'm going on a journey...and close to the Charles River... ;)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Cheryl R

Re: Jewelry in the OR
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:47:35 am »
I very much doubt you will be able to wear it.      Maybe you can up until when go to surgery and then your wife can hold it until afterwards.      I know hard when you would like to and means alot to you.       
      An early good luck with your surgery.                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 10:26:36 am »
Bob .....

Have to confess my ignorance here ..... did not know what a Hei Matau hook was until I just now googled it.  Yours is a particularly beautiful one.  Too bad you most likely cannot take it into surgery with you ..... never hurts to ask though.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:26:13 am »
Bob ~

I wouldn't count on being able to wear the hook during your surgery, but I would certainly ask - and if you can wear it - make certain the surgeon knows about it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epodjn

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:58:49 pm »
My mom was allowed to wear her wedding ring into hip replacement and knee replacement surgeries because she couldn't get it off. But if it can come off I think they will make you leave it off. They covered my mom's ring with tape, not sure why, but if they did let you wear it they might want to tape it.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:14:16 pm »
Bob -

it won't hurt to ask the hospital staff, but I think the answer will be no.

Jewelry is generally a no-no for all patients in ORs. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 10:40:46 am »
I got the word...its a NO...figured as much. My daughter (nurse) says some require even nail polish to be off...? I'm not supersticious and don't believe in the power of objects other than what they can do for our mental state. I only wear this one on special occasions...usually occasions on the water. Oh well... i'll have Sue wear it for me.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org