Author Topic: eating/balance  (Read 3240 times)

kawman600

eating/balance
« on: June 12, 2009, 06:45:01 am »
Has anyone associated  certain foods, eating habits,diets  or any thing else to be good or bad with the balance-i'm 6 weeks post op and am searching for anything to help right the ship.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: eating/balance
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:21:00 am »
The body is such a strange machine that almost anything seems possible but I haven't heard of food affecting balance unless that food was beer... ;D

Your best bet is to work hard at retraining the whole system. Your brain needs to understand that it no longer gets signals from that side and that it will have to rely on the all the rest of the inputs for balance, remaining vestibular nerve, vision, kinisthetics. Exercises that challenge your balance are the fastest way. The good thing is they also help the rest of you as well.

Good luck,

Bob
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:27:31 am »
Don't know that any foods per se can affect one's balance ...... but certain meds taken for other things certainly can, as well as the obvious effect of alcohol.  I know that I have eaten way more than I should have during my recovery months because I was not getting the level of physical exercise I was prior to surgery. :o

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between weight gain and balance ......

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:45:52 am »
In the  diet arena, the carbs affect my blood sugar which may in turn affect balance/dizziness...

I Eat high quantity of sugars, (i.e. too many freshly  baked toll house cookies!)  blood sugar rises, insulin kicks in, blood sugar drops, get lightheaded and dizzy.

I tend to go with the lower carb diet, because of this. Lots of protein, fresh fruits/vegies, minimal white stuff (rice,bread,potato).
Cookies are my weakness though :-\ ymmmmmmm

Also being that you are six weeks post op. Give it time....... ( I know  you want to feel better NOW)

I'm 3 years post and the disequilibrium, slight dizziness comes and goes with situations/hormones.
I just have to slow the pace.
Non diet options which you probably already know.....

Walk as much as you can.
How bout yoga? Are you into that?
Or WII fit if you have access to the system. That helps me.
Daily rests/naps are a must for me too/

Hope this helps ;)
Moe

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

salamander

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:50:01 pm »
I can't speak for food, as everything made me sick at the beginning.  When I was at 6 weeks I had my first cranial sacral massage and felt much better.  I guess I released alot of the anesthesia from my system during the session.  Afterward I had to drink alot of water to detox my system.  My stomach was much more settled after that and I have continued to get massages regularly.

http://www.upledger.com/

is the website where you can search for a therapist in your area.

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months