Author Topic: What to do when you're broke and in Tennessee?  (Read 6219 times)

arianhrod333

What to do when you're broke and in Tennessee?
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:09:36 am »
My ENT suspects I have an AN. He wanted to do an MRI but had delayed it because I don't have insurance. I'm an inbetween. I don't make enough to afford insurance through my place of employment but because I am employed don't qualify for TennCare. The deafness is increasing though and the sounds I hear are getting muddy. I found a clinic that charges on a sliding scale so the MRI will only cost me $400 max.  If it is an AN I'm faced with how to pay for treatment and my bills during treatment.  If I do radiation I can get right back to work but i'll have to have follow up MRI's I can't afford. If I have the surgery, I'll have an enourmous bill I can't pay but it'll be dealt with. No future bills to consider but a month off of work at least. Thoughts? Advice? Anyone else who wishes they lived in a different state?  :D 

jazzfunkanne

Re: What to do when you're broke and in Tennessee?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 02:27:15 am »
sorry to hear of your problems, am sure someone will answer you, i am in the uk so all health care is free, THANK HEAVENS FOR THE NHS.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:54:13 am »
A333 -

how large is your AN?

Also, what type of work do you do?  AN surgery doesn't always mean a month off of work.  Docs use the benchmark that post-op recovery takes about 6 weeks, but everyone is different.  For example, I'm an accountant (not a physically strenuous job) and I returned to work part-time about 2 1/2 weeks post op; full-time at 4 weeks.

Also, if you choose radiation, IMO followup MRIs would be much, much cheaper than a surgery bill.  AN surgery typically costs in excess of $100,000.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 06:53:29 am »
Jan~
I don't think that her AN has been confirmed yet - needs MRI to do that and unable to pay...

A333~
Welcome to our little group!  First, let's hope that you don't have an AN.  If there is any way to get that MRI at $400, then I would certainly do it so that you know what you are dealing with.  Let's hope that it is NOT an AN and is something MUCH easier to treat.  One of my favorite sayings is "Let's jump off that bridge when we get there!"  AN's are usually VERY slow growing so IF you have one 1) your Dr. may choose "Watch & Wait and you might get another job in the meantime 2) some Dr./hospitals will work out a payment plan 3) if worse came to worse, you might have to quit everything until you qualify for the state insurance - sounds like you have a good work ethic and don't want to "take advantage of the system" but your overall health is the MOST important thing here!
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the meantime - I would be more than happy to "chat" with you in the future if you'd like - just PM me your number.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

arianhrod333

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:22:52 am »

My friend lives in Whitehaven and he says the same thing about the insurance. I def plan on getting the MRI. I would love for it to be something stupid. I didn't realize the surgery costs so much. Wow! I work at Target overnight stocking.  :P Its not the greatest but it gets me by. If I have to, I have a sister in Florida. I could transfer there long enough to get Medicaid and do what needs to be done. I miss the beach anyway.  Jk. I do have a strong work ethic and I've always been taught to not take what you don't need. Like Kaybo says though, gotta get to that bridge first.  You guys are absolutely the most supportive group of ppl I've ever come across.  Thx.  ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:52:47 am »
Arianhrod333 ~

I'm sorry to learn of your financial situation that is limiting your options for medical care for what could be an acoustic neuroma.  I'm not acquainted with Tennessee's systems but here is a very useful link to '211' that will put you in touch with folks who can advise you on what kind of help is available in your state for folks like you that don't have medical insurance and because they have a small income, may not qualify for state aid.   http://www.211tn.org/

The United Way (the folks who run the 211 service) can direct you to services you might not be aware of.  They tend to specialize in helping direct those who 'fall between the cracks' to federal, state and local (city/town) services that may be able to assist you in obtaining some kind of financial help for your MRI and any subsequent procedures that might become necessary.   

I'm pleased to learn that you intend to have the MRI.  That's important.  Remember, hospitals will accept small weekly or monthly payments if you ask them.  Now, please call '211'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arianhrod333

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 05:36:28 pm »
Jim if you were here I would hug you. I followed the links from the 211 website and found a program in Knoxville called Knoxville Area Project Access. Its a program set up for ppl in my exact situation. I'm going in tomorrow to fill out the application. Knowing that whatever is wrong can be fixed now without stressing how I'm going to pay for it is a HUGE relief. You guys really are the best and I'll be back after I have the MRI to let you know how it went. Nothing but love for everyone who responded.  :-*

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 07:53:40 pm »
What GREAT news!  Way to go, JIM!!  We (Dave was helping me!) didn't think of that and I have been thinking about this all day...so thankful that a solution was given and you are well on your way to finding out what is wrong and KNOW that something can be done - WHATEVER they find!  Let us know!!  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 08:42:52 pm »
Excellent, Jim. I have heard of the 211 program at United Way, but forgot about it. Could be useful to a number of people.

This is the starting point for anyone in the US: http://www.211us.org/

A333, I will just add that my post-radiation MRI schedule is 6 months, 18 months, 36 months, and further apart after that. Most surgery patients have follow up MRIs as well. I wouldn't let MRI follow ups be a deciding factor in choosing treatment - if it comes to that.

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:51:37 pm »
arianhrod333 .....

I'm late jumping on the welcome wagon here, but did want to say I am so glad you found this Forum ..... and especially glad to know that Jim has steered you onto some financial/medical help.

Our piano tuner, who is self-employed and no medical insurance, developed cancer and needed extensive (and expensive) surgery and treatment.  He had to stop working so he could qualify for Medicaid and it did work out OK for him.  However, I am so hopeful that you will receive the assistance through the United Way.

..... and by all means, have this initial MRI with contrast and then you will know what additional needs you may have.  That is far better than worrying about the unknown.

Be sure to ask any and all questions and someone (or more!) here will do their best to answer them.  Welcome!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 06:17:30 am »
Jan~
I don't think that her AN has been confirmed yet - needs MRI to do that and unable to pay...

K

Sorry.  I should stop posting in the fairly early a.m. - when my eyes aren't fully open and I'm running late for work  ::)

United Way - great idea, Jim.  Why didn't I think of that? 

Please keep us updated A333 - and good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:08:05 am »
Way to go Jim!  And good luck A333.  We certainly hope that you good the answers you need...mainly a clear, tumor-free MRI!  Keep us posted on the results.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Vivian B.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 11:40:21 am »
Hi there,

I cannot offer you much help as the health care system in Canada is different, but just wanted to welcome you sorry you have to be here, but I am sure you will find some answeres here. Good Luck!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 01:37:32 pm »
Arianhrod333:

I'm extremely pleased that I was able to steer you in a direction where you could find some assistance.  I'm a Deacon overseeing 'benevolence' (assistance to the needy) at my church and, because church funds are not infinite, I've learned by necessity to access the many government and private programs that are available for folks in your kind of situation.  I was glad to help and trust this will be the start of better days for you.   :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arianhrod333

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 10:41:17 am »
Well, went for the MRI. That thing really sucks. Lol. I had them make me a cd so I could look. I didn't see anything and neither did the doc. Woot! I dion't know whats causing the hearing loss/tinnitus/disequilibrium but I'm ok with that for now.  :D I put a couple pics up on flickr. One has a spot I'm not sure about but it looks kinda neat. The other is my proof that I have a brain. Ha. Big, big thanks to everyone for helping me. You guys rock.              http://www.flickr.com/photos/arianhrod333/3690036687/