Author Topic: red eyes  (Read 3160 times)

thecakes

red eyes
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:01:59 am »
   Hi, this is the cakes.  Its been a long time.  How are you all?  I have this old problem.  Its my eyes.  They turn red and tired looking.  Sometimes its so embarroseing I avoid people because I don't want them to see my eyes.  After my surgery they said I might have dry eyes.  My eyes are not dry but there red or just dull or tired looking.  My eye doc. gave me these drops (69.00) in this tiny little bottle, it does'nt work.  Maybe if I swich mascaras?    Any good kinds to try?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: red eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:07:35 am »
thecakes! OMG! Great to see you and such a longggg time!  Please see "AN Commnunity" for your "Good Morning" thread. It continues to go on and on and on and on......

Question, what is the name of the drops that the doc gave you? Have you tried opthamal ointments for overnight use to see if that helps?  I don't wear mascara so I can't fully answer on that but mascaras do need to be changed frequently to prevent bacteria buildup... not sure if that could cause the redness as well.

Great to see you! Truly! Been far too long!
xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 07:57:17 am »
I had red and very irritated eyes, to the point of beeing sensitive to light, for quite a few months after my initial diagnosis. I didn't know what was going on, since I didn't have eye closure problems or problems with tear production. At the end I figured out that indeed it was due to eye dryness, caused by reduced feeling in the cornea, due to my trigeminal nerve issues. What happens is that your eye becomes dry, and although you still have the capability for tear production your cornea cannot sense the dryness, so it does not send the correct signal. Your eye becomes extremely dry and irritated, then the other eye tries to compensate (remember all these systems are interconnected), and both eyes become irritated.
My optometrist confirmed my "self-diagnosis" and he gave me different eye-drops to try out. He also said that I should apply eye drops at least every 2 hours, to make sure that the eye remains moist. I finally settled with the Refresh Celluvisc twice a day (that many other people have recommended here), and Genteal gel drops in between. You need to experiment and figure out the type of product that works best for you.
(Oh, and eye-liner irritates my eye, so I have decided to avoid it).

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:12:10 pm »
I use Refresh PM for my AN eye, but have found that it is a GREAT product for my "good" eye when my eyes are super tired.  I have recommended it to family members too...you might give that at try at night!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 11:26:28 am »
My left eye is rea too due to dry eye from mu surgery, went to my optomologist and he said that it was too dry and as a result I have an ulcer in it so no matter what its always red......started using 3 different types of drops and see him every 2 weeks, currently Im down to just refresh and refresh pm
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07