Author Topic: I've lost weight....(on my eye!)  (Read 2845 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

I've lost weight....(on my eye!)
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:49:38 pm »
Yipee!!!!!!!!!! I had the lateral canthal suspension and am completely healed. The lift has allowed me to decrease my eyelid weight by 1/2! I was wearing an external weight of 1.2 and now I wear the lightest one that they make a 0.6 and it is awesome. The platinum eyelid chain that I had implanted in my eyelid was a 1.6gm and it was a "chunk of metal" as my husband called it. HUGE. I am so thankful. I can now close my left (bad) eye independently of my good eye which is just timing/healing/exercise related. I also start acupuncture next Thursday with Arkansasfarmgirl/Vonda's therapist. Excited about that as she is having great results.
The lift made my eyes more symmetrical and it helps with closure as it narrows the eyes making the 1-2mm that was staying open...to close.
I do have a question. My eye isn't strong enough yet to swim under water.......it is okay for a little while but constant flooding of chlorine water and it starts to hurt. I know goggles but any other suggestions as I hate to go to the pool wearing goggles while swimming with my sons. I guess you could coat the eye with a thick lubricant...I don't know.
Angie
I'm probably the only person that this bothers but I'm really concerned about waterskiing and tubing and falling hard onto the water with an open eye. Ouch.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: I've lost weight....(on my eye!)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:11:58 pm »
Hi Angie, that's great news. I'm glad you are happy with the surgery.

The deal with swimming though . . . my vote has to be to wear the goggles. Over a thick layer of ointment. Maybe it's different place to place, but here almost all the kids wear goggles. It's required during my kids' lessons and they wear them whenever they go swimming. They come in cute colors too. Last summer I even wore them inside while I waited for moisture chamber goggles to ship. 

Better safe than sorry, especially for waterskiing and tubing.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

moe

Re: I've lost weight....(on my eye!)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:58:04 am »
HI ANGIE,
Great news on your eye status. :)
I'm with SARA.
Better to be safe than sorry until you have your total eye closure. Does it close automatically, like a blink reflex?
Especially tubing,waterskiing. You don't want to chance it. You only have 2 eyes!
Enjoy the pool with your kiddos.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty